Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, I have to agree with Milasman. I have a Roadmaster 2000-1 Tow Dolly with electric brakes and haven't had any problems with it. It has towed our Honda and now our Ford Escape all over the place including to Ak without any problems.
In the begining I had 2 flats but that was because the person whom I bought it from had regular car tires on it instead of trailer tires.
If I were you I would check with Roadmaster and get their 2000-1 dolly with electric brakes. I also added a third wheel to push it around when needed plus a spare tire just in case.
Good Luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
I have an ACME eze-tow dolly and I would recommend it to anyone.
And the tires aren't that small, the rim is 10", but the tire is 22" tall.
My opinion is that it is the best built, most trouble free dolly you can get for
your money....
I bought an Acme dolly directly from the manufacturer in Kernersville NC. I used it for a couple of trips and sold it and the toad and went with 4 down towing instead. The Acme seemed to be well built, I just did not like the hassle of getting the vehicle up the removable ramps and then crawling on the ground to install the safety chains. Even after the straps had been used for a while I kept finding they were loosening and causing the vehicle to slip bak until the safety chains were rock solid tight. Then it was a royal pain getting them unhooked. I will never again use a dolly.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Concur with spare tire for Road Master 2000-1, and it can be a handful moving it around, a think a little heavier than some.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I bought an Acme dolly directly from the manufacturer in Kernersville NC. I used it for a couple of trips and sold it and the toad and went with 4 down towing instead. The Acme seemed to be well built, I just did not like the hassle of getting the vehicle up the removable ramps and then crawling on the ground to install the safety chains. Even after the straps had been used for a while I kept finding they were loosening and causing the vehicle to slip bak until the safety chains were rock solid tight. Then it was a royal pain getting them unhooked. I will never again use a dolly.
bdickson, was your dolly level when it was hooked up?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #19

Master Tow with surge brakes for six years. Towed thousands of miles. No problems. EZ grease hubs. Tires are a little worn.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
bdickson, was your dolly level when it was hooked up?
Yep, always had the rig parked level. Well, as level as a campground would allow.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
The Acme seemed to be well built, I just did not like the hassle of getting the vehicle up the removable ramps and then crawling on the ground to install the safety chains. Even after the straps had been used for a while I kept finding they were loosening and causing the vehicle to slip bak until the safety chains were rock solid tight. Then it was a royal pain getting them unhooked. I will never again use a dolly.

I haven't had any of the problems you mention with ramps or straps, nor have
I read of any others here having that many problems.....hmmmm....anyway.
So it seems that you just don't like using a dolly, no matter what brand.
Some like them, some don't. Glad you found something you like...

Old 06-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Concur with spare tire for Road Master 2000-1, and it can be a handful moving it around, a think a little heavier than some.

Wow, you are not kidding, Camping World says it weighs 700 lbs, that's
300 lbs MORE than my eze-tow....

Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I have two comments: The first is you really should investigate towing 4-Down if it is at all possible with your towed.. MOST vehicles can be towed 4-Down with help from RemcoTowing USA. Reasons for this are lighter in weight, and easier hook up and I think a better hook up.. However that said.. My opinion and {Insert cost of a cup of coffee don't forget the tip} will get you exactly one cup of coffee. Some folks disagree with me on Dolly towing.

Next: There is something called the Uniform Commercial Code, this is not a law, but a guideline (Federal) upon which many states have based their consumer proteciton acts, This is law, but as with nearly all laws varies from place to place..

You need to check it out.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #24

Demco Kar Kaddy 460. Never a problem. Don't understand the mechanical and loading/unloading problems some talk about. I've had no problems at all.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
Demco Kar Kaddy 460. Never a problem. Don't understand the mechanical and loading/unloading problems some talk about. I've had no problems at all.
I had one problem: First time unloading I didn't notice one of the ramp locks was set for the ramp to fold, and it did when the van was on it. Scraped the front end up a bunch on the ramp grating.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #26

I'm in the same club as Sequim Guy. :>) I've had an EZE-TOW dolly since last September and, while I haven't put a LOT of miles on it yet, I have made a number of trips, and here are my opinions, based on MUCH research before purchasing a dolly. First, I think that most everyone that has purchased a dolly probably had a specific reason for wanting a dolly as opposed to a tow-bar system & four-down towing. That would be MY preference, but I also have a second vehicle that isn't towable 4-down, due to being a front-drive transaxle, with NO lube pump for the transmission even being produced, so a dolly is the only option. I need the option to tow the 2nd. vehicle if I'm going to take my Great Dane along with me. He won't fit in my smart car which IS towable 4-down. My reasons for choosing the Acme EZE-TOW were...(1)Made in the U.S. (North Carolina) by a company that stands behind their product. (2) Solid steel system, with welds, not nuts & bolts to loosen and come apart. (3) Surge brake system built in. (4) Disc brakes, the only tow dolly with disc brakes on the market, to my knowledge. (5) Just over 400 lbs. in weight, so very easy to move around by hand by one person. (6) Bearings use the Bearing Buddy sealed system so that typical bearing maintenance isn't required. (7) In my case, specifically, I HAD to have removable ramps due to the short wheelbase of my smart car. The built-in, drive on, automatic swing up ramps would be hitting the underside of my car. The others simply would not have worked for me. (8) Capability....this dolly is capable of towing every width vehicle from a lawn mower up to a large SUV, and has the weight capacity as well. (9) PRICE. Find another dolly that's as well made, with all these features, for the price. :>) It tracks extremely well, and you don't even know it's there. I've only had two insignificant problems so far, and those were due to ignorance on my part. On my first trip, I tightened the safety chains too much, so that when I arrived at my destination it was all I could do to get them off. Also, on my 2nd. trip out, one of the taillights wasn't working. That was because I hadn't routed the wires correctly. Retaped and rerouted....problem resolved. :>) Would I rather be able to tow 4-down? YES. It would certainly be easier, albeit more expensive for sure. However, since that's not an option for me right now, I still am very happy with my choice. :>)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #27
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
4 down. 'nought said.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #28

Use a Roadmaster myself, no problems that weren't my own during the learning process.

Two thoughts on some of the issues you had...

1) one trick on the loose straps... (I'm assuming you have the straps with the front rachet to tighten them) once you load your car on the dolly and are in the wheel pans, its normal to be all the way to the front. Back up your car a few inches. Then put on your straps and tighten them. Why? Because the straps tighten against the tire as you rachet and don't pull evenly against the back, so if you are all the way forward you end up with the front part of the strap tight but some slack in the back which will make everything loose as you drive.

2) tire wear - dollys tires are small and carry a lot of weight. Can't speak for other dollys but the Roadmaster is very specific in the instruction book about the need to be aligned properly, have the camber set right, and be within spec on the tongue height. Being too high or low at the tongue will throw the camber off spec. Be sure to take into account air bags if you have them. Being out of spec with the weight of the toad on those itty-bitty tires can wear them out quickly.

emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly