Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #29
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcritter View Post
I'm in the same club as Sequim Guy. :>) I've had an EZE-TOW dolly since last September and, while I haven't put a LOT of miles on it yet, I have made a number of trips, and here are my opinions, based on MUCH research before purchasing a dolly... I've only had two insignificant problems so far, and those were due to ignorance on my part. On my first trip, I tightened the safety chains too much, so that when I arrived at my destination it was all I could do to get them off... :>)
Big Critter, If the chains you are using is the ARS, please notice that Acme has discontinued them because they don't allow a good pivot point needed to make a turn, and can cause damage. This is documented in the thread:
Acme EZE-tow dolly
If you've seen it or doesn't apply - sorry, never mind.

For the OP - I would move on to a "small claims" case...If your dealer, supplier, or mfgt. is in the state where you live. But if they are not near, apart from the usual letter writing, complaints to the BBB, and open complaints in the media (like this site), it can be difficult to get relief.

Best of luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clickaway View Post
I am having many problems, with less than 12,000 miles on the dolly We have had the lights unplug and wires wearing out on the tires, leaking surge brake oil, 2 blowouts, 3 fenders lost while driving and the tires wore out on the inside of the tire. We paid $1800.00 for the dolly new, on Dec. 2010
What is the tire load rating? What is the actual load you are placing on the tires? What inflation are you running? How often do you check the inflation?

Tire wear on inside implies out of spec alignment. (Warning the "spec" may not be correct) I would compare the alignment specs with the alignment spec from a few current front wheel drive cars to see if the specs are at all reasonable.

Comment on vehicle tie-down. I towed race cars over 30,000 miles with ZERO problems. Of course my tie down straps were first class and cost between $30 and $50 each depending on style.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibdreamin2 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good car tow dolly? How about the ACME tow dolly with the small tires?

Bob
I would suggest the Demco KarKaddy SS. I love mine
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
I use a Master Tow with electric brakes. I added a breakaway system to it. I have only towed about 1000 miles so far, but I have not had any problems. It seems easy to load/unload and tows great.
Towertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #33

Tow Dolly Experience

I recently purchased a nine or ten (?) year old Demco KK360SB. Decided to clean it up. Called Demco for parts. They sent me a replacement fender, three grips replacements, two rachet handle replacements and all new decals... FREE...FOR MY USED NINE/TEN YEAR OLD UNIT!!!! The ONLY charge I incurred was for a new steering dampening piston ($62). This thing tows beautifully!!! Because it "steers" my tires don't "scrub" when turning. The ramps are attached so I don't fuss around as I would with the ACME E-Z tow. The ramps tilt for loading, which is easy, and have more than adequate ground clearance. More, LOADED my tongue weight is almost exactly 110# which tells how well balanced the unit is. Empty, my SPOUSE (125#) (PS she'll KILL me if she learns I told anyone her weight!) can move it around with no problem. Empty weight of the Kaddy is around 480#.
BOTTOM LINE....If you are looking for a quality tow dolly and can't afford the $2500+ for a new QUALITY one (not Tow Master or, God forbid, a Stiehl)......try and find a fairly recent Kar Kaddy. Their customer service is unbelievable and the product is outstanding.
joeb1943.910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #34

I bet the OP's axle was installed upside down. Sometimes solid beam axles are cambered a bit positive so that when loaded, the tires are either straight up, or a tad negative. Put the beam on upside down (even if that's the way the spindles were welded on) then with weight it will have too much negative and wear out the insides.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a used 2006 Demco Kar Kaddy SS $2100. Both of the fenders had cracks. I called Demco, they sent me two new fender at no cost, no shipping either.

Chuck Boone
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #36

tow dollies

planning to buy a new master tow and pull it with my class c ford 450 chassis. are there any hints for my towing a 2010 Chrysler sebring convert?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
kardan7

-DON"T BACKUP EVER!
-Watch the tight turns especially in gas stations. Depending on the width, your tow dolly fenders can damage the body of your car
-Get auxiliary lights that have magnets to attach to your car. The lights on your tow dolly will be problematic
- Check and recheck everything
- Have some coveralls to put on when attaching and unattaching as you have to crawl under the car for the safety chains
- Don't drive OVER the tow dolly (as some recent pictures on this forum attest)
- Start saving your money to buy a car that you can flat tow. After 10 years, you will grow weary of the tow dolly hookup procedure (that is from personal experience!)
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Demco KarKaddy 460SS is the best car dolly on the market and it is also the most expencive. I bought mine new in 05 and love it. Four down is probably the way to go but I don't have a car that I can tow 4 down without a lot of mods and I don't plan on spending the money to out fit a car every time I buy a differant one. I like the enthusiasm EZE TOW owners have but I wouldn't even consider one mainly because I don't understand how it can go around a corner without draging the tires sideways and I don't want to have to install and remove & store the ramps each time. I have watched there movie and ask a lot of questions but no one has showed me a picture or a movie of one going around a tight turn. They also have had to make mods to there tie down system a couple of time over the years and my Demco just keep right on going although I do beleive after seven years, two MH's and 50 thousand miles I am going to have to replace the steering dampener and I replaced the tires last year.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
The Demco KarKaddy 460SS is the best car dolly on the market and it is also the most expencive. I bought mine new in 05 and love it. Four down is probably the way to go but I don't have a car that I can tow 4 down without a lot of mods and I don't plan on spending the money to out fit a car every time I buy a differant one. I like the enthusiasm EZE TOW owners have but I wouldn't even consider one mainly because I don't understand how it can go around a corner without draging the tires sideways and I don't want to have to install and remove & store the ramps each time. I have watched there movie and ask a lot of questions but no one has showed me a picture or a movie of one going around a tight turn. They also have had to make mods to there tie down system a couple of time over the years and my Demco just keep right on going although I do beleive after seven years, two MH's and 50 thousand miles I am going to have to replace the steering dampener and I replaced the tires last year.
I couldn't have said it any better, we bought one last year and have used it a handful of times and really like it. Others that we have seen just seem (well) not well made sorry JMO
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree the KarKaddy SS is the best, bought mine used. No problems with the dolly light.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #41
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kardan7 View Post
planning to buy a new master tow and pull it with my class c ford 450 chassis. are there any hints for my towing a 2010 Chrysler sebring convert?

CONGRATS on the smart decision to Dolly Tow. Your Sebring will very happy, up high away from road debris and saving those unseen miles on the drive-line that could cost $$$ and can be an issue at resale.

For a Sebring, make sure your RV has a Class III hitch (5000lb load capacity) vs. Class II (3500lb).

SO MANY THANKS TO THOSE that will tell you about flat-towing being totally better (it's not) or Master Tow's competitors (useful info?)

Main tips:
~Like any dolly or open trailer, check the tie-down straps (can be just a visual check) for positioning, tightness, and wear when you stop.
~Safety chains on the dolly tongue to the RV and on the car to the dolly - don't leave home without them.
~Also, you could check the lug nuts for looseness and touch the wheel hubs looking for unusual heat when you stop.

Other points:
~ You probably don't need extra lighting if the dolly has lights - check your local laws. And BEWARE, Magnetic Mount lights can cause paint damage from wear/vibration.

~ You CAN back-up for short distances - it's all in your driving skills, BUT the dreaded jack-knife in a turn could cause the dolly fenders to contact the towed car's fender or door.

Hints: I would practice loading the dolly. Do it when you are NOT in a rush. Focus on getting the car up on the dolly in one movement without stopping, using a smooth/light accelerator foot.
Use 2 FEET while loading (on the gas and brake at the same time) to avoid any risk of going over the dolly.
Make a system in your head or checklist for loading where you DO NOT have to get under the car - to stay clean and safe. Like; I connect the straps in the rear of the dolly first - then load the car - lastly I place the straps over the tires and make the front winch connection.

Best of luck and safe travels

Oh BTW - For a previous poster, here's a video on how the Acme EZE-Tow can make turns without a steering axle or pivot pan...Toad steering wheel unlocked - just like a flat tow car can make turns. So EZE to use:
Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly Driving Examples - YouTube
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
kardan7
- Start saving your money to buy a car that you can flat tow. After 10 years, you will grow weary of the tow dolly hookup procedure (that is from personal experience!)
I think I would drop the "0". : - ) My personal experience is that it won't take NEARLY that lonf to tire of the hassle!

Tags
dolly