Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2006, 09:25 AM   #1

I have a chance to buy, from a RV dealer,an Unified Tow Brake d/celerator for 30% discount. I hope some of you who have this system can tell me about it, the good and the bad. I tow a 2003 Jeep Wrangler.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2006, 09:25 AM   #2

I have a chance to buy, from a RV dealer,an Unified Tow Brake d/celerator for 30% discount. I hope some of you who have this system can tell me about it, the good and the bad. I tow a 2003 Jeep Wrangler.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #3

WOOF: I have the US Gear Unified Tow brake installed in my MH, and the car side equipment is now in the second toad. The system has worked well for me, and I highly recommend it for GAS coaches (without an air supply). I must advise you to VERIFY what you will be getting for your discounted price. Is it is possible you are seeing a used "take off" or perhaps only a partial system??
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #4

Yeah edgray, I know it. It's a thousand dollars shortof the price they weere selling it for. That sais, there is still a good chance I can get it very cheap. Thanks for the info on the system.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #5

Don't know what you are paying but we had the system put in our 1994 Pace Arrow Diesel/2000 Jeep Wrangler combination in 2002 for $795 installed so there are deals out there.

Grumpy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #6

I got talked into the Unified Tow Brake System, especially after reading about it. Unified sells it for $1300. I got mine at PPLMotorHomes.com for $759 which would be about 30% off.

I'm getting it installed, but it's gonna cost me about $85 per hour for 3 to 4 (or more) hours. I would do it myself, but I don't have the tools nor the knowledge. Especially for this as it is a safety feature. In one way, wish I had stuck with the Brake Buddy...easier to transfer for one toad to another and not much needed to install.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #7

WEBSTER: I think you will like the operation of the USG brake. You certainly bought it right. The installation should be done by someone experienced with these units. You sure don't want them standing around reading the instructions, because the job is a little complicated. I paid around $400.00 labor for both of my installs. IF done professionally, with nearly invisible results, I think it is money well spent. That said, you don't want to change toads too often! We did, but only because the first one was totalled in an accident, but the USG equipment was not damaged, so it went into the new Vue. Good luck, and safe travels, ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It's a good system, if a trifle complex. If you want an inexpensive system you can easily install on your own, take a look at the Tow-V-Aire. It was designed by an RVer and intended for do it yourself install. It's not a proportional braking system, but it has all the rest of the features, e.g. brakeaway, telltale light, self-powered emergency stop, etc. and anybody with minimal skills can install it - basically just have to connect a couple wires. I've had mine for 6 years and three vehicles.

Tow-V-Aire
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #9

Okay. Got it installed and it cost me about $400. I, too, think it's worth the piece of mind. The RV repair place had never installed one, but he's done other work for me and his attention to detail is phenominal. He gave me a break on the price because he was learning as well...there always has to be a first time. Even if they had done it before, I would have been very nervous if they didn't still read the instructions.

We towed the Jeep back to the storage and all went fine. With all considered, I'm glad I got it instead of the Brake Buddy. What I like is that all I have to do is plug it into the sockets and it's armed. I can control the tow brake from the dash in the motorhome as well as monitoring the system.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote