Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Unified Tow Brake Install

The UPS man deliverd a TV-1000K this morning. I will install this in a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. I will be studying the instructions all weekend and will do the install next week. Any and all pointers that you think I could use would be greatly appreciated. I know from reading this forum that U S Gear will be very helpful if I need assistance. The only problems I can foresee is getting this out of shape body into some of the tight spots in and around the Jeep. Thanks in advance for any help.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi srx-6,
This is not a USGEAR suggestion, but if you haven't already, put Loctite or equivalent on all the bolts holding the baseplate to the towed car. It is really very difficult to tell when the bolts are coming loose.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #3

I put the US Gear in my 2008 Rubicon. My biggest decision was where to moung the solenoid and route the cable. I decided to use a bolt on the passenger side footwell, out of way of the passengers' feet. As I remember, I drilled another hole in their mounting plate to better line it up the way I wanted. I used a T nut to be able to get a lot of thread engagement. I then routed the cable over to the drivers' side behind the heater stuff. Once on the drivers' side, I looped it up to be out of the way and then mounted their hardware to the brake pedal.

The rest of the installation is pretty straight forward.

For my wiring I used a Cooltech set up:

Cool Tech LLC. Niche products for unique and exclusive vehicles.

The newer ones are more plug and play than the one I bought when he first offered the product.

I pull the brake fuse only. You connect 12v from your coach to the Jeep, so you don't need to disconnect the battery.

Since you have a 2008, you turn your key, transfercase and transmission per the owners manual.

Have fun with the installation.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Having had one installed on my former car, and having read the instructions I suspect you will have about no problems at all with the install.

The only pointer is to read the instructions fully before taking the rest of the materials out of the box.

and that is one NICE braking system by the way.. Possibly the best out there.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies guys,

GaryKD, Thanks I did on all of the bolts

Rich and Cork, I cannot quite picture in my mind how the solenoid can pull the cable from the passenger side. I am thinking about mounting it under the drivers seat. I have alredy installed seperate bulbs for the brake lights/blinkers

Thanks again
Old 06-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys,
Rich and Cork, I cannot quite picture in my mind how the solenoid can pull the cable from the passenger side. I am thinking about mounting it under the drivers seat. I have alredy installed seperate bulbs for the brake lights/blinkers

Thanks again
I will post a couple of pictures tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #7

Here are a few pictures of my installation of the US Gear brake controller:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	4352
This is the solenoid mounted on the passenger side. Used only one bolt (existing) with a T-nut to get good thread engagement. It is under the wiring (right where the red wire goes into the sleeve) at the top left of the solenoid. I drilled a hole in the bracket to place the solenoid where I wanted it

Name:	IMG_1670.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	4353
This is the routing to the brake pedal

Name:	IMG_1675.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	4354
This is the vacuum pump installation

Name:	IMG_1676.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	4355
This is the break away switch installation. Also note the four pin connector in the frame for the light wiring from the motorhome just past the edge of the bumper
Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you Rich and Cork. Now I see The pictures are very helpful
Old 06-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi srx-6,
This is not a USGEAR suggestion, but if you haven't already, put Loctite or equivalent on all the bolts holding the baseplate to the towed car. It is really very difficult to tell when the bolts are coming loose.

SECOND THAT MOTION

After a year I crawled under my towed and ... Tighted all the bolts which were loose.. After properly lubing the threads with some Red liquid (Locktite)

Far as I know (Car died) They are still tight.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Can anyone tell me the best way to get through the firewall on a 2008 Wrangler. I have looked for three hours and cannot find a way into the cab for the wires. I do not want to drill a hole but I am about to that point. Thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
Can anyone tell me the best way to get through the firewall on a 2008 Wrangler. I have looked for three hours and cannot find a way into the cab for the wires. I do not want to drill a hole but I am about to that point. Thanks
On my 2008 I just went through the rubber grommet on the drivers' side firewall. It is next to the brake booster if you look from the engine side.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
vwd

Installed the US Gear Brake in a 2010 Wranger a couple of weeks ago. I put the solenoid under the driver's seat and ran the wiring and cable under the trim on the door sill. Mounted the vacuum pump under the vacuum booster on the fender well. Wiring went through and existing hole in the firewall outboard of the vacuum booster. I made a custom six conductor cable with a seven pen plug on the motorhome end and a six pin plug on the Wrangler end so I only have to deal with one cable. I also used separate bulb in the rear light housings.
vwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
This is taking a lot longer than anticipated. I got everything installed in the Jeep a few weeks ago. Finally got a chance to go to the motorhome to install the brake controller. After a long search I found the prewired connection(not where Monaco said it would be). Now it turns out that Monaco and US Gear have used the same connector on thier respective wiring harness and I cannot plug it in. I will call US Gear and hope they have a correct plug.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the Unified Tow Brake solinoid under my drivers seat on my 2009 Wrangler. I mounted the control moduel on top left panel next to the brake pedal and ran the wires through the firewall using an existing hole with a rubber gromet. I also had to use an adapter to plug into the Monaco harness which was located in the console under the lever control panel. I purchased my Unified Tow Brake from Monaco just after they filed BK and it included the adapter. I have the controller set to 5 which seems to just right for my rig.