Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Any feedback on using the Unified Tow Brake System for my Toad with a W22 Chassis would be greatly appreciated.I have been Toad Brake shopping for too long now and need to bite the bullet and buy something. Always seems to be an issue with BB and any other "On-Off " type system. Dealer wants $1700 to install a Unified in coach and toad. Please do not bother to comment on "I like my brake buddy because....." I have been researching too long and have read most every comment on the net. I already realize I need one and why. Please and thanks.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Any feedback on using the Unified Tow Brake System for my Toad with a W22 Chassis would be greatly appreciated.I have been Toad Brake shopping for too long now and need to bite the bullet and buy something. Always seems to be an issue with BB and any other "On-Off " type system. Dealer wants $1700 to install a Unified in coach and toad. Please do not bother to comment on "I like my brake buddy because....." I have been researching too long and have read most every comment on the net. I already realize I need one and why. Please and thanks.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the Unified Tow Brake System on my W-22. My toad is a 2007 Jeep Sahara. The system works very well and I highly recommend it.

I had a BrakePro, and IMHO it was a POS. I wouldn't buy one again.

The only other brake system that I have heard works as well is the M&G.

Good luck,

Bill

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
bdaball: I also use the USG product on my W-22. When our original toad got totalled, I removed the USG equipment and paid to have it re-installed in the new Vue toad. It works as advertised.
As Photog posted, the M&G product is also highly dependable, but it requires a small air compressor and tank be added to the MH. I've also heard very good results from the SMI "Air Force One" and, since they are a sponsor here on iRV2.com, I suggest you check out their product and cost. FWIW, I'm thinking the price you mentioned "seems" a little high for the USG, however there is a LOT of labor involved in it's install. Good luck with you choice. ED
Old 03-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I bought a used one and installed it myself. I had to make some hookup cables and a buy few other parts. But, the total cost was under $300.

I really like mine and can't believe that I ran as many years without auxiliary braking.

I did a writeup and posted on IRV2. I also have it posted on my web site.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have the USG and this is the third coach and the 3rd toad it has been installed on. Only had one problem about five years ago, the control module went bad and had to be replaced. That was on the second toad and the second coach.
My current coach is a 2003 W-22 and it has worked great.

2003 35-E Bounder W-22
rvjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #7

My Unified Tow Brake is on it't second toad. It has served me well and I do recommend it.

I bought it originally at the RV show in Quartzsite in 2003. The dealer offered to install it for $300. It looked like a piece of cake to me, so I did the install myself. I never worked so hard for $300. When I moved it from my 1993 Toy truck to my current toad, I redid the wireing to make it fit and it was much simpler.

Bob...
Old 03-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #8

Like others, I really like my USG. I did my own install. It was a bit of work and a real learning experience. It works really well and I would recommend it. Especially the conveninece of hooking up and not having to hassle with setting a brake on the floor and trying to figure where to put it when I take it out of the toad. That was a big factor for me.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #9

To those of you that have did your own install with the USG Tow brake - I need some advice.
I recently bought a new coach - National RV SeaBreeze.
I already had everything wired on my former coach and TOAD. I removed the RV portion when I traded. My TOAD is wired and working. On the new RV I've run all the wires for everything except the tie-in to the brake light switch wire.
I kept the old instructions but they don't seem to be of any help in testing and identifying the brake light switch wire on the new W22.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Curious,
What year is your Sea Breeze, the make & year of your toad and type of plug you installed to RV (Number of terminals)?

Ed
Old 03-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jeepster47:
Curious,
What year is your Sea Breeze, the make & year of your toad and type of plug you installed to RV (Number of terminals)?

Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a 2008 SeaBreeze. My TOAD is 2004 Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep has a fully installed Unified Tow Brake system from USGear which I installed. It is fully tested and worked perfectly with my previous setup. For plugs: I have two separate plugs one for lighting (simple 4-wire system - hooked to extra bulbs in Jeep tail lights) and the standard 2-wire factory USGear hook-up for the electrical connections from the brake controller in the RV to the TOAD.

My main objective is to identify the brake light wire from the brake light switch in the area of the brake pedal under the dash of the RV.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #12

I think you are talking about what wire to tap into above the brake pedal. Dale (Oemtech) has a picture of his install on his website- click Oemys Website and scroll down to his USG brake install. There is a picture of under his dash. That is the one he sent my way when I couldn't figure it out. It was a great help. THANKS again Dale - BTW.
I think it was the blue wire that you splice the diode into. I am too lazy to go and look in my coach right now. Sorry

RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote