Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Unusual Jeep towed

Hi All..
I have a a pretty unusual Jeep I am thinking about using for my towed. It is 08 Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel. Not too many of those made..
The tow bar part should not be an issue.. I am using a Blue Ox on my Grand Vitara now.. It is supplemental brakes I am concerned about. Normal engined Jeeps use vacuum as a supplement but this uses a Hydraulic Booster which is way hard if the engine isn't running.
Anyone out there using one of these or have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance..
Ron

04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
PM sent.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If no one makes a brake unit designed to pull/push harder on that brake pedal I'd think the only other option would be a trailer. I'm not sure you could adjust a regular brake unit to push hard enough. I've seen the ones that fit between the pedal and the steering wheel, but I'd worry that the steering wheel would not hold up to that much pressure in that direction.

I just noticed where you are. Your in my Favorite Vacation state. I go trail riding around Ouray, Silverton every year.
I usually go over to Moab and then come back across CO on I-70.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
If no one makes a brake unit designed to pull/push harder on that brake pedal I'd think the only other option would be a trailer. I'm not sure you could adjust a regular brake unit to push hard enough. I've seen the ones that fit between the pedal and the steering wheel, but I'd worry that the steering wheel would not hold up to that much pressure in that direction.

I just noticed where you are. Your in my Favorite Vacation state. I go trail riding around Ouray, Silverton every year.
I usually go over to Moab and then come back across CO on I-70.
Mechanic..
We also camp a lot in Colorado every summer.. We really en joy Rigeway State Park in Rigeway Colorado.. Its between Ouray and Montrose.. Actually it's at the highway that you can go to Telluride on.. We love that part of the state..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
Old 04-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
M&G Brake unit should work.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
M&G Brake unit should work.
Not much space under the hood on those years. Our 05 has the fuse box right on the end of master cylinder.

I would think on of the box brake units would work. There designed to work with no power boost.

Our '14 Diesel has a vacuum booster, so I was able to use our Unified Tow Brake.

Please let us know what you figure out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
[QUOTE=PDR John;2000627]Not much space under the hood on those years. Our 05 has the fuse box right on the end of master cylinder.

I would think on of the box brake units would work. There designed to work with no power boost.

Our '14 Diesel has a vacuum booster, so I was able to use our Unified Tow Brake.

Please let us know what you figure out.[/QUOTE

PDR John..
I really Like the looks and specs of the 14 Diesel.. I love my CRD! The price of the new ones really scare me!!!
How do you like it? I have reprogrammed mine and really use it sparingly.. Mileage is great and performance is wonderful..
My Grand Vitara had served well as a towed from the days when we needed a light towed (Read GMC Motorhome). But it's starting to show it's years.. Therefore the Jeep towed questions..
The Hydraulic brake boose had a VERY hard pedal when the engine isn't running so the brake buddy I have won't work.
I will have to contact some of the air actuator companies and ask if they have an application.. Or find a nice used Grand Cherokee used.. Will keep my CRD as long as possible..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
KIX

Brakemaster, made by Roadmaster is designed to work without vacuum assist. Check it out.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most all brake systems are designed to work without vacuum assist, this includes the box in the driver's seat systems I do not like, Surge brakes, the M&G which, if it fits, is my #1 recommendation for your vehicle.

SOME are designed to work with vacuum assist and provide vacuum pumps.> BUT, many of those, now days, give you the option of activating the vehicle's electric hydraulic pump if it has one.

And even if it does not have that option (The brakeing system in this case) on many vehicles with hydro-bost, the electric pump is activated by the brake light switch so when the pedal starts to move down, on comes the pump.

You may not have a problem.. IF, your vehicle has an electric back up pump for the hydro boost.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
PDR John..
I really Like the looks and specs of the 14 Diesel.. I love my CRD! The price of the new ones really scare me!!!
How do you like it? I have reprogrammed mine and really use it sparingly.. Mileage is great and performance is wonderful..
My Grand Vitara had served well as a towed from the days when we needed a light towed (Read GMC Motorhome). But it's starting to show it's years.. Therefore the Jeep towed questions..
The Hydraulic brake boose had a VERY hard pedal when the engine isn't running so the brake buddy I have won't work.
I will have to contact some of the air actuator companies and ask if they have an application.. Or find a nice used Grand Cherokee used.. Will keep my CRD as long as possible..
Ron
We're loving this one. We just got done flat towing from South Dakota to Texas, no problems.

Driving around in the Frisco, Plano, McKinney and Allen area we're seeing 22+ mpg.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote