Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Unusual, Very odd, Odyssey Air Cond issue

I have a 2007 Odyssey - took front clip off and installed the Blue Ox base plate - while installing the darned thing I slipped and put a crease in the fin of the condenser ---- checked the crease with bubbly spray and yes - it was barely seeping. So --- ordered a new condenser and "O" rings and replaced it.

No huge problem - slight issue with ego is all.

I checked the freon 134a and found the necessary amount to put back in the system - so I added a few drops of AC oil (yes, it was correct oil), and then put in the freon.

As I was adding freon the system begin to work like a champ --- great, I thought - problem NONE. I actually added just barely too much freon and went over the 45 mark - so I bled off a couple and got it back to the proper range.

Few days later wife and I drove the van to Davenport and little south - well over a 500 mile round trip for us. The system worked great just as before and front and rear AC outlets pumping out that nice cool air. Temps were just on the mark.

Friday -- hooked up and towed the van up to Mystic lake. On arrival I started van up and put in park so unhook her, the AC was blowing hot air------.

When I got finished unhooking and the errands setting up I grabbed my gauges and found my pressure was just over 100.

How in the dickens did it get up there??????? I didn't put it in, no one else has access to -----

I thought about the issue for a few hours and then the next day (Sat) I decided to bleed the system back down to 25 and then re-add new freon and just see what happens.

Once I bled it down below the 40 mark the system started working like a champ again -----------------!!!!!!!!!!

I took it on down to the 25 level and re-added new to bring it up to 39 and monitored it for a while. It remained there....

For you AC experts out there ---- fill me in on what just happened, please!!!!

I have probably worked on 4 or 500 vehicles like this and never had that problem before ---

I have a theory ---- little illogical, but it is a theory. But really, I am baffled on this one.

Yes - it worked the rest of the weekend, working now and all is good.

God Bless

Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
When you're stating the numbers, I'm assuming you're talking about the low/suction side pressure where you're filling the freon?
Did you remove the moisture from the system once the condenser was replaced? Did you vacuum it down?
Also, do you know what you're high side pressure is when running? When you say it was at 100, are you sure the compressor was on? Stagnant freon with no compressor operation in the heat of the summer will be at or over 100 psi.
2004 Fleetwood Discovery 3126 CAT engine
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote