Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update for 2019 4x4 Latitude no Flat Tow wiring kit needed

Just got from my salesman. SAVING MONEY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	207273  
ttazzmm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
That buliten is a bit confusing to say the least. The modification that the factory has made is related to keeping the electric power steering active during towing. This was needed on earlier Cherokee's to keep the power steering active to prevent the "death wobble" while being towed. Apparently now this feature is included from the factory - part of a running change it looks like. I believe the part number for the earlier required kit is 68321424AB.

I'm virtually 100% certain that you will still need a "Flat Tow Wiring Harness" that allows the Jeeps tail, turn and brake lights to work in concert with the RV while being pulled. It should also provide 12 volt power to prevent battery drainage. I'm not sure if Mopar offers that harness like they do for the Wranglers. Roadmaster and others offer such a kit.

Now the interesting thing to me is how owners of earlier Cherokees feel about the fact they had to pay for a wiring harness to make their Cherokee flat towable when it was supposedly flat towable as advertised.

It is good to see that Fiat Chrysler has fixed the potentially dangerous situation on those vehicles. Glad you are not having to buy the kit.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithtools View Post
That buliten is a bit confusing to say the least. The modification that the factory has made is related to keeping the electric power steering active during towing. This was needed on earlier Cherokee's to keep the power steering active to prevent the "death wobble" while being towed. Apparently now this feature is included from the factory - part of a running change it looks like. I believe the part number for the earlier required kit is 68321424AB.

I'm virtually 100% certain that you will still need a "Flat Tow Wiring Harness" that allows the Jeeps tail, turn and brake lights to work in concert with the RV while being pulled. It should also provide 12 volt power to prevent battery drainage. I'm not sure if Mopar offers that harness like they do for the Wranglers. Roadmaster and others offer such a kit.

Now the interesting thing to me is how owners of earlier Cherokees feel about the fact they had to pay for a wiring harness to make their Cherokee flat towable when it was supposedly flat towable as advertised.

It is good to see that Fiat Chrysler has fixed the potentially dangerous situation on those vehicles. Glad you are not having to buy the kit.
The steering systems on the 2019 Wrangler JL and the Cherokees are completely different. The Cherokee is fully electric. The Wrangler JL is hydraulic with electric assist.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The steering systems on the 2019 Wrangler JL and the Cherokees are completely different. The Cherokee is fully electric. The Wrangler JL is hydraulic with electric assist.
Hi Bob,

Not to be contrary, but I didn't mention anything about JL's or JK's in my post as they have no bearing on this discussion and it only confuses the discussion more. I know they are different systems.

My only mention of the Wrangler was in reference to the toad vehicle lighting harness availability from Mopar - part number 82211156AB, I'm not sure if they offer a similar harness for the Cherokee as they do for the Wrangler. The OP is going to require some type of lighting harness to safely tow his Cherokee.

I was trying to emphasise that fact in case he was under the impression that he had all he needed in the way of harnesses for towing from the factory. If one reads the bulletin from the factory without knowing the history of Cherokees and their towing issues, it could be misunderstood.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Bob,

Not to be contrary, but I didn't mention anything about JL's or JK's in my post as they have no bearing on this discussion and it only confuses the discussion more. I know they are different systems.

My only mention of the Wrangler was in reference to the toad vehicle lighting harness availability from Mopar, I'm not sure if they offer a similar harness for the Cherokee as they do for the Wrangler. The OP is going to require some type of lighting harness to safely tow his Cherokee.

I was trying to emphasise that fact in case he was under the impression that he had all he needed in the way of harnesses for towing from the factory. If one reads the bulletin from the factory without knowing the history of Cherokees and their towing issues, it could be misunderstood.
My apologies. You're correct. I was reading two different threads, one having to do with Wranglers and this one, and got myself confused.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
My apologies. You're correct. I was reading two different threads, one having to do with Wranglers and this one, and got myself confused.
No worries, just wanted to be sure I had not confused folks too much.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #7

Now we have a "flat tow wiring harness" for the electronic steering issue. The "tow wiring harness" for towing a trailer. The "toad wiring harness" for operating the vehicle lights when towing behind a motorhome. I'm sure others will use different nomenclature. Plus folks like Hopkins will come up with their own terminology. We'll have plenty of folks (service managers, salespeople, users and posters on here) who don't know one harness from another giving confusing advice and opinions.

I see a lot of confusion in our future.

Now we have Wranglers, Cherokees in past years that need some kind harness but Cherokees of the future that will need different kinds of harness or none at all. Throw in the tendency of folks to refer to "Jeeps" with no distinction between various models and years of Wranglers and Cherokees and it's a little difficult to keep up with which harness folks are talking about.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Yes, I do still need to have the diodes and wiring for the tail lights and turn. Will be having that done when the tow plate is installed.

What I have is a

2019 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus 4x4
3.2-Liter V6 24V VVT Engine w/ESS
Jeep Active drive II.
ttazzmm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #9
WDW

We never paid for the ‘corrective’ wiring for flat towing. Our dealer installed it right after they became available.
WDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #10

Thank you for posting the notice above! We just took delivery of our 2019 and we were trying to get the kit from our dealer. Only answer we got was "not available for 2019. This seems to explain it. I am thankful not to have to worry with this anymore. Our was free from Jeep on our 2014 as we were very early to get it, but apparently not for others.
JJPP17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Apparently now this feature is included from the factory - part of a running change it looks like.
I don't think this is the right conclusion - and we already have seen confirmation of this. *IF* it was included from the factory, owners would have the switch installed, etc. because certainly the Jeep could not maintain power to the battery with the key off all of the time.

No, I think what the bulletin is clearly saying is that they have made changes to the Jeep's steering system such that the "death wobble" will not occur and there is no longer a need to have a specialized kit to power the steering system.

As others have already pointed out, you will still need some type of kit so that stop, turn, and running lights can be controlled by the towing vehicle.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #12

Yes to all. But please note that the 2019 Cherokee manual still says the flat tow wiring is required, and gives the Mopar number for it. And EVERYONE at my relatively large dealership was clueless, even after they claimed to have checked with Jeep. So clueless they installed it on my 2019 Trailhawk.

And for heavens sake get through your heads this thread has NOTHING to do with the necessary wiring for lights.

If they ever get around to fixing the manual I suspect it will say to use the ACC key position when towing. That function was performed by the switch and/or fuse with the kit. The manual currently says to turn the engine off and remove the fob.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:34 AM   #13

As I am somewhat interested in a 2019 Cherokee to replace my 2015, I have been following this topic with interest. I experienced the wobble in my 2015 before installing the flat tow harness and for sure don’t want to have another one. So I downloaded the 2019 Cherokee owners manual from the Mopar site and cannot find any mention of a required flat harness. Guess I could have missed it somewhere, but all i find is to put the transfer case in neutral just as it did in the previous years manuals before the advent of the flat tow harness. Does the paper manual that came with your car read differently? Maybe FCA has already updated the manual and not notified owners of previous manuals of the change? For something that has been going on since 2014, it is unbelievable how difficult it is to get the straight story from FCA.

https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/twedd...ations?id=9660
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Yes to all. But please note that the 2019 Cherokee manual still says the flat tow wiring is required, and gives the Mopar number for it. And EVERYONE at my relatively large dealership was clueless, even after they claimed to have checked with Jeep. So clueless they installed it on my 2019 Trailhawk.

And for heavens sake get through your heads this thread has NOTHING to do with the necessary wiring for lights.

If they ever get around to fixing the manual I suspect it will say to use the ACC key position when towing. That function was performed by the switch and/or fuse with the kit. The manual currently says to turn the engine off and remove the fob.

We never heard that 2019 Cherokee death wobble kit was not needed & had Dealer install as part of sale on our 2019 Trailhawk. They had no clue, they just installed it. Now we have 2019 with death wobble kit. We took 1st trip 560 miles out, no problems, going back Sat. Will have to check with Jeep on this, not dealer cause they are clueless.
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, wiring