Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Has anyone put it in a Grand Cherokee? It's pretty crowded under the front seat, maybe high on passenger side. What did you do? Also my Freightliner 05 is supposed yo be prewired does that save much on install cost?
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2006, 02:08 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I have installed 2 units. One in a Durango and one in a 06 Honda CRV. Love the system. Simple to install. Takes some time. The CRV I mounted it under the seat. The Durango was on the right side. I think it is one of the Best Systems out. I had a Brake Buddy. Works great but was a pain to store and install. If you want simple and don't mind doing it every time. The Brake Buddy is the way to go.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:54 AM   #17

Just had one installed in December. In my 2007 Malibu they mounted it behind the glove box on the passenger side. Unless you know it is there, you do not notice the slight bump in the carpet. The cable runs across the firewall behind the console. Only made a couple of short tows, but it appears to work great. Can't tell anything is attached to the brake pedal when the brakes are applied in the car while not being towed. Mine was installed by an authorized US Gear dealer. They knew their stuff. Unfortunately, I just got a new RV and now have to get the controller reinstalled. That is the easy part.

2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
samabago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:24 AM   #18

I did a DIY install about 2 years ago in my 2001 Chev Tracker ... no problem with room enough under the seat. Ran the actuating cable under the floor mat ... doesn't even make a bump on the floor . Works extremely well ...ready to tow with just two connections ...breakaway cable and electrical connection.

R
Roger Kneeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:31 PM   #19

We have the US GEAR on our 2004 Discovery pulling a 2000 Saturn Toad. I can not say enough good about it. I don't have to set it up adjust it fiddle around with it. Just hook up two things and go. With our blue ox set up we can be on the road in a few minutes and unhook just as fast without changing anything around in the tow. If you want to really check it out go to the FMCA convention in Perry Ga. that is going to be in March. The company will be there and you can get a great deal and they will install it free. I did it that was three years ago and no regerts. Good Luck
Old 01-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
I am on my first trip using this brake.....I guess I like it, but not sure how well it's working. It seems to over-brake as my car has a real sensitive pedal and I have not been able to fine-tune the amount of pedal pull. Also, isn't pulling out the breakaway plug supposed to lock the toad brakes? After unhooking, I forgot to put in the dummy plug and the toad drives and operates as if no brake was installed. What's wrong here?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #21

Bob, I think I would get it checked out as you should hear a compresser running when the plug is not in and
if not put in my unit within a few minutes it will make
a problem that will affect the unit. I would have it into a shop if for nothing else my peace of mind. The brake system is something you just never know when you are going to have to bet your life on. JMHO but hope you will at least have someone help you check it out.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Willie, I did check it out a bit further. Mind you, I got this brake installed and operational just in time for my maiden trip to Florida 3 wks. ago, so was able to verify it did work. However, it actually slammed on the brakes every time I hit the MH brakes. So I eased off on the amount of pull, both at the MH dash module and at the toad brake pedal. Now I get just a little pull on the toad brake, which I'm fine with.

As for the compressor, I have an hydraulic brake booster system, not vacuum, so I was not able to install that aux. pump they furnish. So my system pushes against a "dead" pedal, but because of the sensitivity of these brakes, I would be locking 'em up if not for the ABS system.

When I pull the plug out of the breakaway switch, I hear a "popping" noise which should be the switch activating, yet I don't believe the toad brake actually sets. Also, when I pull the MH forward a couple feet and hit the MH brakes, the toad brakes come on. I thought the MH control switch was to sense a deceleration along with brake action before applying the toad brake. So I still have a couple of issues to check on.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #23

Bob, I have been at this for 37 years starting with a TT and working up to the last 7 coaches and if I have found out anything it is there is always something to check out or be fixed no matter if it is a TT coach or anything that has wheels on it. I have one hope and that is to take one trip without a little problem. Then what the heck would I complain about. Still best of all worlds and their is no such thing as a bad day camping. Ill take camping. Willie
Old 02-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #24

I purchased my Unified Tow Brake from PPL Motorhomes online. It arrived promptly, and was fairly easy to install in my '06 Wrangler toad. I mounted the solonoid behind the drivers seat on the floor, and it's completely out of the way. The system is great. Out of sight, out of mind, and hooked up automatically when you connect your electrical from the MH. Very effective braking. Good Luck!

Cinder - our blue Aussie
Old Mose is offline   Reply With Quote