Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #1

US Gear Tow Brake with Ford Edge

I recently purchased a 2010 Ford Edge and am interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with installing a US Gear Unified Tow Brake system in the Edge. I have a system that I peviously installed installed and removed from my 2003 Jeep Liberty and would like to reuse it in the Ford Edge.

Al

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al.m View Post
I recently purchased a 2010 Ford Edge and am interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with installing a US Gear Unified Tow Brake system in the Edge. I have a system that I peviously installed installed and removed from my 2003 Jeep Liberty and would like to reuse it in the Ford Edge.

Al
I installed the US Unified tow brake myself on my 2009 Wrangler Unlimited and found the instructions very easy to follow. I mounted the solinoid under the drivers seat which was simple. My Monaco was pre-wired for the US Gear system so I just had to do the Jeep which took me 4 hours. I did call US Gear with a question and they were very supportive.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I can't think of any reason it would not work well in an Edge. As long as the Edge does not have hydraulic boost brakes, it ought to be dandy! And I'm prettysure the Edge does not have hydroboost (it's mostly a GM thing).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I don't know about the "GM" thing, My Ford, F53 has Hydroboost. with electric assist. As Far as the Ford Edge, yes, it should be a fine vehicle for a toad.

the unified Brake from US Gear, is great.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It's GM that has the hydraulic boost that uses the power steering pump for hydraulic power. I thought all the Fords with a boost system were electric assist, which is not an issue as far as toad brakes are concerned. But I could be wrong on that.

A buddy of mine tows an Edge and uses the US Gear system.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
...and so does ford. but only in it's bigger stuff. the electric assist is for when the engine is not running, or should die unexpectedly. Even GM uses that system, I think it is Kelsy Hayes. I can't find much info on it right now. The edge, I think, is still all vacuum assist.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by al.m View Post

Al
I am still struggling with trying to find out how to get the inside pully mounted. There is no way that I can see how to mount the pulley to the firewall while meeting the US gear instructions to mount it at a point that provides 1 1/4 inch travel with the cable parallel to the floor given the offset brake pedal that lines up close to the steering wheel column shaft. I talked to a person at US Gear today and he said that it "must be possible". I'm not sure that he ever looked at the particular vehicle setup.

If there is anyone out there that can look at a Ford Edge installation (I assume that the Lincoln MDX is the same) and describe the pulley placement and brake pedal mounting (or forward a picture) it would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming that I may not be able to properly install the US Gear system I would be interested in hearing about other braking systems (other than the Brake Buddy type boxes) that people have installed in the Ford Edge.

Thanks, Al
Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Call Gene @ Tom's RV in Albuquerque @ 505-323-5947

He has installed dozens of US Gear Unified Brake Systems including mine (great job, no problems).
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
Call Gene @ Tom's RV in Albuquerque @ 505-323-5947

He has installed dozens of US Gear Unified Brake Systems including mine (great job, no problems).
Unfortunately Albuquerque's a long way from the east coast!

I have not installed dozens but I have installed several US Gear braking systems in different vehicles. I am baffled at what to do with the Ford Edge. I called US Gear today and the person I spoke with said that "it must be possible" to get the pulley in a position parallel to the floor with proper travel. I'm not sure that he has seen the Edge. With the offset brake arm that results in the part of the arm where I can get the required 1 1/4 inch travel, the steering column is in the way of where the pully needs to be.

I'm sure that I can kludge it in with the wrong angle / incorrect travel distance. I don't think that will result in meaningful braking. I've seen "professional" installations that are not done according to the instructions and unlikely, IMO, to provide meaningful braking. On the other hand they can claim that auxillary braking is installed as required by law.

I would be interested in hearing what other Ford Edge or Lincoln MKX owners have selected (other than the Brake Buddy type of boxes) as their braking system.

Al
Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #10

Al, I also have pa 2010 Edge that I want to put this system on. Have you resolved the issue of mounting the pulley on the firewall? if so how is it working out?

Bob
Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have a MKX and use a Roadmaster BrakeMaster 9060, no problems at all, it's a great system.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisZ View Post
I have a MKX and use a Roadmaster BrakeMaster 9060, no problems at all, it's a great system.

Dennis
Was there any issue with the alignment of the pully behind the brake pedal arm?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The BrakeMaster doesn't use a cable system, it is just an actuator that attaches to the floor and the brake pedal. The system take all of 30 to 40 seconds to install before use.

Here is a link to the unit Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbob View Post
Al, I also have pa 2010 Edge that I want to put this system on. Have you resolved the issue of mounting the pulley on the firewall? if so how is it working out?

Bob
Hi Bob,

No progress. I have not been able to find anyone who has done it. I have called US Gear and no help there. The person that I spoke with had obviously never seen the problem. Otherthan fabricating a some type of mounting bracket I don't see how it is possible to install the system on the Ford Edge. It certainly is possible to mount the pulley in a position other than that called for by US Gear instructions and I'm sure that a few creative dealers have done that!

Regards, Al