Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Hi all,

Doing research on returning to RVing. Where would one find documentation concerning Newmar DS pre-wiring for a toad using the U.S. Gear system, or, are any Newmar DS's pre-wired for it?

Dragnflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Dragonfly,
Neither Newmar nor US Gears website mentions any Newmars being prewired for a tow braking system. US Gear system only has 2 wires between toad and MH. One is the "controller wire" and the other is a hot wire between batteries which keeps the toad charged. No MH will have the required wiring harness installed "up front" in the MH as that is where all the differences are to be found with all the different controllers.
Harold Miller

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Bob, US Gear does sell a system for non-pre wired motor homes. Harold spent close to 10 hours doing the wiring for his coach. It consists of two wires that run the length of the coach from the dash contoller to the rear of the coach. Then there is one wire from the controller (you will install that on your dash) that needs to go to the brake controller relay usually somewhere in the front of the coach. Then there is one more wire that supplies 12v (switched) to the contorller. If you go to www.usgear.com you can find installation instructions. A wiring diagram is included in the downloadable instruction manual. I had problems with my coach because it was poorly wired from the factory. I think that wiring the coach would have been the easiest part of the entire installation.

Good luck

Don
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #18

I recently installed this system on my 2002 Winnebago Journey and 98 Jeep wrangler. The tricky part was to locate the proper wire from the M/H brake switch. A call to the chassis maker solved this problem. I am very happy with this system.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks to all for the info. I can see already that I picked a great site for planning and researching for our future adventure.
Dragnflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #20

I installed mine a couple years ago. I must admit I didn't do it in 10 hours but it was well worth the time I did spend on it. The tech guys were excellent regarding where to locate wires in the MH and how to adjust the amount of pressure setting. Great company and great product.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Pre-wired or not, you can't go wrong with this brake system.

We have a Monaco Diplomat and a Saturn Vue and the US Gear tow brake is working well. We would not use anything else should we ever change the RV or the toad.

Once installed it is so easy to use/operate that you almost forget that it is there. Isn't that what we all want?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #22

From one Dane to another (Bruce H Pedersen) If you own a gas rig, toad weight is going to be a crucial factor and the need for a brake system is also a must. The mileage affect is close to 1 mpg less, so the lighter the better.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our setup is now 7 years old as of tomorrow and is on the second motorhome. I had the installation done at Holland Motor Homes since I live in a condo and don't have a lot of convenient work space. I was looking at new cars the other day but found what I wanted isn't towable 4 down so the PT is going on another vacation.
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #24

I installed the UTB-1000 on my '07 Canyon last weekend and I have a couple of questions that I hope you satisfied UTB owners can answer. I installed the control unit in my 1999 Country Coach Allure mounting it directly to the dash without using the little peg thing with the sticky tape on back. When I went through the stationary check out everything seems fine, the pump on the canyon runs with the MH key on and the service brake pushed, when released the pump continues to run for about 20 seconds then shuts off. When the breakaway plunger is pulled out and the canyon is put in gear it won't move so the brake is firmly set as it should be. All the lights work as they should on the controller, green on, red when service brake is pushed, increasing red as the brake is pushed harder etc. But when I drive the rig with the canyon behind and try to operate the manual lever to full on, the toad doesn't brake, same thing when I use the service brake "hard" at highway speed there is no brake effect and not even any normal brake lights on the toad, signaling that there is no pedal movement in the toad (I had DW follow the rigs). Anybody know if this is normal? shouldn't I be able to skid the toad on gravel using the manual lever?? Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated as I am once again confused. Thank You ALL!!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #25

Put a rider in the toad and have them actually watch for the plunger to move - or use one of those remote (RV or baby monitor) video cameras. That's the definitive test.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Stakealot,
1. Make sure the driver control box is pointed straight forward and dead level.

2. There is an orange wire coming from the driver controller. This wire needs to go to the brake light switch wire closest to the switch. The order of connections, as you move away from the brake light switch out to the stop lights is:
2a. orange wire from controller
2b. blocking diode
2c. all other connections.

3. Try setting the knob with the numbers to #7 or higher. My unit is set to #7.

4. Just to double check, the test you are conducting with the driver control lever is while the coach is moving?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Your problem is with the orange wire. If you get a green light followed by each red light when you turn the key on that indicates that the coach is communicating with the toad. So the blue and red wires are ok. As stated above the orange wire goes to the brake switch. Mine was not connected at all. The wire went through the dash and then just ended on the other side. A call us US Gear solved the problem. They told me where to look for the brake switch in my coach. Easy to find with their help -- than ran a wire from it to the orange wire and I was back in business. Call them again --

Don
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #28

Thanks for the replies, I knew you folks would know what to do! This weekend when time permits, I'm going to try to convince DW that she needs to ride in the toad, to keep an eye on the pedal...THAT should be interesting LOL. I have located the brake light switch in the CC and there's 2...really, I don't know why, but they are hooked in series, and both activate when the pedal is pushed...not sure which on to use yet but I'm sure I can pick the wrong one 1st!!! Thanks again.