Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
US Gear Unified Tow Brake info for 09 Wrangler

Since finding out that you do not have the key in the ignition for the 2009 Jeep Wranglers for towing, I started wondering if my Unified Tow Brake would work.
I emailed Lee at US Gear and he replied that you do not need the key in the ignition because the tow brake is connected to a 12 volt source in the Jeep.

I hope this helps anyone with an 09 Wrangler with this question.

US Gear was very quick to respond.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not only is it connected to the 12 volt battery in the Jeep.. (which by the way has been known to kill the towed battery on a long trip with some of the "Brake system in a box" pedal pushers) but it's also connected to the 12 volt battery in the TOWING VEHICLE via a 40 amp dual breaker protected line.. That way when you drop the battery in the Jeep is nice and "Full up" and raring to go.

I often post very nice comments on the US-Gear system.. I personally consider it to be the best on the market.. And I put my money where my fingers are on this system since it's what I have on my towed... My satisfaction level is actually above 100%.. Why is this? (Or How can this be)

Well, my first major trip.. It's Jan 2, 2006, about 3am I pull off my back lot, stop and check the lights on the back.. Damon's lights are all working as designed... Towed's however.. I have right/left turn/stop lights.. but no tail lights. ZIP, nada, nothing.

Break out the break out adapter (This is a flat 4 plug and socket with 3 LED's built into the plug) and hook it up

Right and left LED's work (They double as brake lights) but no tail light LED.. DANG, what do I do now.

Break out Schematic for US-Gear system.. Spot that 40 amp breakered line hooking the towed battery to the Motor home battery.. Open car door, Push button marked "P" for Parking lights. Lock door and off we go to Las Vegas.. No problems. tail lights all the way. And that's above and beyond the design of the product.

So I'm more than 100% satisfied cause not only has the system done it's job.. It solved a problem that US-Gear could never have imagined.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Not only is it connected to the 12 volt battery in the Jeep.. (which by the way has been known to kill the towed battery on a long trip with some of the "Brake system in a box" pedal pushers) but it's also connected to the 12 volt battery in the TOWING VEHICLE via a 40 amp dual breaker protected line.. That way when you drop the battery in the Jeep is nice and "Full up" and raring to go.

I often post very nice comments on the US-Gear system.. I personally consider it to be the best on the market.. And I put my money where my fingers are on this system since it's what I have on my towed... My satisfaction level is actually above 100%.. Why is this? (Or How can this be)

Well, my first major trip.. It's Jan 2, 2006, about 3am I pull off my back lot, stop and check the lights on the back.. Damon's lights are all working as designed... Towed's however.. I have right/left turn/stop lights.. but no tail lights. ZIP, nada, nothing.

Break out the break out adapter (This is a flat 4 plug and socket with 3 LED's built into the plug) and hook it up

Right and left LED's work (They double as brake lights) but no tail light LED.. DANG, what do I do now.

Break out Schematic for US-Gear system.. Spot that 40 amp breakered line hooking the towed battery to the Motor home battery.. Open car door, Push button marked "P" for Parking lights. Lock door and off we go to Las Vegas.. No problems. tail lights all the way. And that's above and beyond the design of the product.

So I'm more than 100% satisfied cause not only has the system done it's job.. It solved a problem that US-Gear could never have imagined.
Thanks Wa8yxm,I agree it is nice having the Jeep battery being charged by the MH while towing it and the system has been reliable so far.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
QUOTE:

END:

Agreed US-Gear system.. I personally consider it to be the best on the market..
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #5

If you have not installed the system yet, I agonized for a long time where to put the solenoid and how to route the wiring. I ended up putting the solenoid on the firewall on the passenger side, using one of the studs Jeep uses. Ended up drilling a hole in the US Gear plate to get it where I wanted it. Then I routed the cable to the drivers' side. On the drivers' side I mounted the pulley behind the brake pedal, with the cable going up towards the windshield. You cannot see any of the installation. Worked out really well for me.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
If you have not installed the system yet, I agonized for a long time where to put the solenoid and how to route the wiring. I ended up putting the solenoid on the firewall on the passenger side, using one of the studs Jeep uses. Ended up drilling a hole in the US Gear plate to get it where I wanted it. Then I routed the cable to the drivers' side. On the drivers' side I mounted the pulley behind the brake pedal, with the cable going up towards the windshield. You cannot see any of the installation. Worked out really well for me.
I mounted my solenoid under drivers seat and run the cable under the carpet. I had to fabricate a bracket to have the solenoid to set even and it worked great. I ran the wires through a hole in the firewall. It took me a Saturday but was worth it. I called to get prices to install it and it ranged from $800 to $1200. With that kid of savings I made my wife take me out for a steak.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
On my Lumina the driver's seat (Where US-Gear says to mount it) has not the clearance and has other issues.. So I too put it on the firewall, low down (About where your feet normally rest) and then slpped some 3/4" Plywood, painted to match the interior over that, the floor mat/carpet was pulled up over the plywood.

Truthfully.. I know it's there.. and even I can't see it. I have to actively think about it or it's just invisible.. And I don't notice the loss of leg room either.. I'm 6'3" tall