Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #1

US Gear Unified Tow Brake - Sensitivity

Hi,

We are on our first trip with a toad. The toad has a US Gear Unified Tow Brake and I'm unsure of where the sensitivity dial should be set in the RV. Any advice would be great.

Thanks, Chris.
ChrisFSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #2

Probably depends somewhat on the size of your toad. I have a Ford Ranger pick up and set mine high , I often wonder if it's doing anything but when I've had people ride in the truck to check they tell me it is.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ChrisFSB,
My unit is set to #7. In the Rocky Mountains I turned it up to #9. It is never set below #7. This is my personal preference, I have no data as to if there is an ideal setting. My toad's street weight is 5.3K lbs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Chris,
As my IT Tech son says, "Dad, It depends".

It depends on your configuration of coach and toad set up. Gary said he is doing well with a 7. I use a 3.5.
You should be able to test the settings as you get use to it. Either by braking with the pedal and getting the feel of the toad pulling back. Too high and you should feel the toad pulling back. If you feel the toad pushing or no strain at all it should be turned up. I think that is how the owners manual reads.
I also use the lever mounted on the unit to occasionaly test the unit. That being said, since it was first hooked up I have never changed the settings.
Love the system.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
Chris,
As my IT Tech son says, "Dad, It depends".

It depends on your configuration of coach and toad set up. Gary said he is doing well with a 7. I use a 3.5.
You should be able to test the settings as you get use to it. Either by braking with the pedal and getting the feel of the toad pulling back. Too high and you should feel the toad pulling back. If you feel the toad pushing or no strain at all it should be turned up. I think that is how the owners manual reads.
I also use the lever mounted on the unit to occasionaly test the unit. That being said, since it was first hooked up I have never changed the settings.
Love the system.
I agree with bdaball, each setup is different. I use 5 for my setting and have used 7 on steep grades. I am very happy with the US Gear UTB.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is called "GAIN" not senistivity... Now, How to set it.. This is described IN THE OWNER's MANUAL for the brake system.. I do not know if you can download it.

But you need an observer and a gravel road. and secure everything in the MH.

ON gravel.. You need just enough "Gain" to lock the brakes on a hard stop.

Of course......... I do not recommend making that hard a stop

I kind of did it by guess and by gosh... This I do know however, the setting I used, which turned out to be perfect.... Will not be the setting you need.

But the setting procedure IS described in the manual.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I had mine set at 5 with the 3100lb Subaru that I was towing. Now that I've moved up to the Jeep that weighs just a bit more, I'm going to start at 7 and see how that works. I have thought about unhooking before I head down that hill going north on 80 into Pendelton.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. The owner's manual does explain the process, also helpful to have the anecdotal data too on how folks find the system works. Our first 400 mile trip was a success, seems 3 is a good setting for our combo (Winnebago Destination + GMC Terrain).

Thanks all, Chris.
ChrisFSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #9

Has anyone noticed a burning smell from the toad brakes after driving in traffic when it is a lot of stop and start. I set my gain at 1.7
boatyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Use your IR temp gun to check the temperature of the toad rotors periodically when you stop to stretch your legs. Check for consistent temps at all four wheels as well as hot brake odors. This will give you an indication of a too agressive setting.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One problem I had when I first started towing..

IDIOT INSTALLER.. Put the car back together wrong, jammed the brake pedal and cost me a brake job.

NOT US-GEAR's fault however..
Old 05-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
One problem I had when I first started towing..

IDIOT INSTALLER.. Put the car back together wrong, jammed the brake pedal and cost me a brake job.

NOT US-GEAR's fault however..
Who was the installer?