Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We purchased a US Gear Unified Tow Brake to install on our 2006 Saturn Vue. I've watched the video and read through the instruction manual but still have a couple of questions. I'm feeling really dense!

1. The instructions say "If the towed car is tied into the motorhome lamps..., locate the vehicle's brake light switch.... Cut the 12 volt power wire and attach the gray and white wires to the two ends of the wire with the butt connectors supplied. This action will deactivate the brake light switch when the Unified Tow Brake is armed." The instructions also say that if the towed vehicle has been wired for auxiliary lights, this action is not necessary. Now my question is, why would I cut the power to the brake light switch if I want to use the toad's brake lights and NOT a set of auxiliary lights? This just seems backwards to me.

2. The manual states "The brake pedal in the towed vehicle will NOT move when you depress the brake pedal in the motorhome if the rig is stationary." Does this mean the brake pedal in the toad is released once you come to a complete stop, thereby causing the brake lights on the toad to no longer be illuminated even though you still have your foot on the brake in the motorhome? This sounds unsafe to me.

I know there are a lot of very satisfied RVers out there with the US Gear Unified Tow Brake and we did a lot of research to decide which one was right for us. I'm just trying to figure out how to wire up the brake lights the safest way possible. Any clarification or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We purchased a US Gear Unified Tow Brake to install on our 2006 Saturn Vue. I've watched the video and read through the instruction manual but still have a couple of questions. I'm feeling really dense!

1. The instructions say "If the towed car is tied into the motorhome lamps..., locate the vehicle's brake light switch.... Cut the 12 volt power wire and attach the gray and white wires to the two ends of the wire with the butt connectors supplied. This action will deactivate the brake light switch when the Unified Tow Brake is armed." The instructions also say that if the towed vehicle has been wired for auxiliary lights, this action is not necessary. Now my question is, why would I cut the power to the brake light switch if I want to use the toad's brake lights and NOT a set of auxiliary lights? This just seems backwards to me.

2. The manual states "The brake pedal in the towed vehicle will NOT move when you depress the brake pedal in the motorhome if the rig is stationary." Does this mean the brake pedal in the toad is released once you come to a complete stop, thereby causing the brake lights on the toad to no longer be illuminated even though you still have your foot on the brake in the motorhome? This sounds unsafe to me.

I know there are a lot of very satisfied RVers out there with the US Gear Unified Tow Brake and we did a lot of research to decide which one was right for us. I'm just trying to figure out how to wire up the brake lights the safest way possible. Any clarification or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Hi Jim and Linda,

#1. I had the UTB in my toad, and I had auxilliary bulbs in my tail lights. Since I did not invade the toad light wiring in the first place, I did not invade the brake light switch circuit either. The toad's auxillary lights worked with the MH lights, but the toad's brake lights came on when the UTB engaged the brake pedal. If you have auxilliary bulbs, then you can do the same.

#2 The UTB applies the brakes according to the inertia of the MH's stop. If you feather your brakes as you come to a halt, then the toad brakes feather also. In most instances, your MH brakes will hold everything in a stand still. So to answer your original question, if you have your motor home lighting properly wired into an auxilliary bulb kit, your toad will show brake lights as long as you hold the brake pedal in the MH.

If you want to test the full effectiveness of the UTB, pull the breakaway switch and just try to pull the toad. The brakes will be (should be) all locked up.

The safest light wiring for me was to use an auxillary light bulb kit, right in the toad's tail light dishes. The wiring is completely separate from the toad light wiring. The only modification to the toad is to drill (approx) 1.25" holes in the tail lights

GM
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If I were you I would install extra bulbs or use magnet lights on the roof. If you do that you don't need to do that step at all.
You will love the brake system. Simple to use and stops the coach better then ever.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:25 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the great info. you guys! I guess the best thing will be to istall the Aux. light kit.

George, the explanation of how the system works is really good help too.

I can't wait to start installing this system!