Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm glad I have a Diesel Pusher. I use the truck stop lanes. Always room.

I carry a hammer and a cross tip screw driver under the front seat. Occasionally I have to tap the pins out. I'm going to try that turning the wheels all the way the next time it happens. I do agree that the 3 to 5 minutes seems like 3-5 days of tapping.

As far as anyone sitting in the toad, they need to know how to counter steer. Or, stand outside and as soon as they see the wheels start to turn, holler at you to stop. That is your limit unless they can counter steer. You can do more damage to the steering mechanism than can be imagined. As the wheels start to turn, the counter-steering is to maintain the wheel in the opposite direction of the turn. The backward motion should be extremely slow. The slower the better as this will keep the wheels from violently reaching the end of their travel, and also give the driver of the TOAD reaction time and hollering time though a communications device. It is not a feat that I wish to undertake.

Don't forget that there is one more pin that you can remove that will release the TAOD for moving. The 4" hitch pin on the back of the coach. Releasing it will allow the TOAD with the towing hitch still attached to pull away from the coach.

Good luck. I'll just still use the truck lanes with the DP.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #16
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have, on a couple of occassions, used the toad to pull the motorhome backwards a few feet. Sometimes helps, depending on surface your on, to leave motorhome idleing and in reverse. DW behind the steering wheel of course. I use a solid arm, trailer ball connect, type tow bar hitch.

dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I think I know that lady manager... She is my co-pilot.

Seriously.. Sometimes starting the car and putting it in drive, then setting the parking brake, will release the tension on the bars enough to help them retract (Assuming it's the kind where you push or pull a lever and they retract) and allow the pins to come out normally.
This is how I always unhook. I start the engine, put the car in drive, give it a little gas and apply the parking brake. I kick the levers on the tow bar and the pins always come out without a problem.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
You can back a tow several feet without assistance, just proceed slowly and if it starts to jack-knife then you must stop. I have backed as much as 30 feet before.
Del & Charlotte
RVing - Time well wasted
2004 Phaeton 40TGH w/ 2010 Acadia
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am wondering if anyone has actually got in the toad and pulled the motorhome backwards I would like to try it in a parking lot to see if it can be done without replacing the toads transmission
Bob & Deb in a 1991 Southwind
being pushed by a 1976 MG Midget
Life is good
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #20
Obviously you can drag the moho backwards using the towed. As long as you take it slow you aren't going to hurt the towed drivetrain. Just make sure you don't get everything moving so fast that you can't stop it.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
My Weblog
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
FWIW I have pushed a Monaco Dynasty with a Saturn! It was my friends rig and he was stuck on some slippery snow. No Problem. I was amazed but the grade was slight, and very short. I do not think you would do any damage to the transmission on level ground.
2005 Monaco Knight, 3 Slide, 38' PST, Cummins 330 ISC, 34,000 miles on this one!
VMSpc, PressurePro, BrakeSwitch, DeLorme SA2010

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #22
A little trick I learned from this forum. I attach a piece of white paper to the top of the toad steering wheel. At any time I can check the orientation of the wheels from the rear view camera. Very handy when making hard turns to ensure the wheels return to the proper position.
Charlie & Sherrie
Southeast Texas
'99 Southwind Storm, '10 Honda CRV
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #23
The woman at the station was very stupid to argue with a man holding a tire iron in his hand. If you are going to back up the toad, you need a driver to keep the toad wheels from turning the wrong way. We have done this several times for a few feet. By starting the toad and jockeying back and forth, you can usually get the pins out.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #24
All of these replies have been really good stuff.

The more time I've had to think about it, I still believe the simplest solution to my problem (not including the problem with the VERY angry and VERY large lady (the term "lady" is loosely used) manager) would have been to KNOW that the wife and I could have safely backed the rig out of the way. In my ignorance, my first instinct was to separate the toad from the coach since the accepted wisdom is that you NEVER back the coach with a toad attached.. Simply put, I was in a mild state of panic and did everything I could to to get out of the way by separating the two. The large manager (and I assure you, she had no fear of any tool I might be wielding) only exacerbated the situation.

There are times where fast is good. This was one of those times. I'm not talking about avoiding abuse from the resident help, but I was keeping folks from their daily routine and travels. Not good. A way to back the rig and toad without damage would have been more expedient a route than the one I took.

I guess we'll go to an empty parking lot and give it a try.

'07 Bounder Diesel 38N
'08 Jeep Liberty Pusher
SSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #25
Upon leaving Pigeon Forge TN on 321 and heading for I-40 I saw on the map where a road connects the two cutting a lot of miles off the trip. It is called Foothills Parkway. My DW tells me that I should follow the signs and I know better! Once we got on that road there was no way to turn around and go back. After a half hour of white knuckle driving we reach the highest part of the mountain and start going down. We reach a switchback where the front of the motorhome is hanging over the edge of the road with a sheer drop-off. The toad is at an angle downward and will not allow me to back up. Only thing to do is disconnect. On an angle, on an incline. My DW got in the toad, put it in reverse and with me between the front of the toad and the back of the MH I pulled the pins as she releived the pressure on each. It too was hairy! Moving the toad backward or forward until the pins release is the way I did it.

PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote