Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
Used tow dolly

The hitch seems to be low to the ground. My rig hitch is much higher. Do I use a drop down hitch or should I cut and weld the trailer to match my rig?

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Either method has both advantages and disadvantages.

The use of a DROP HITCH receiver adapter seriously and I mean SERIOUSLY downgrades the tow capacity of the hitch, If it's a 5,000 hitch you could well end up with the dolly being all it can tow safely. If it's a 10,000 hitch you might be OK.

However if you do this the Dolly remains "Full strength".

The cutting and welding of the trailer (dolly) also weakens it in many cases... But the hitch remains 100%.

So it amounts to which one do you wish to reduce the capacity of.

A good weld shop can minimize the damage to the trailer.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Use a drop down hitch for the dolly.
It will put very little hitch weight on it to be any problem.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Homeless
Do I use a drop down hitch or should I cut and weld the trailer to match my rig?
You certainly don't chop up your dolly. You buy the correct hitch parts to match trailer to tow vehicle.

You want as straight a line as possible between tow vehicle and toad. If the dolly is not level, front to rear, then you need to either lower or raise the ball mount (or combo shank and ball mount for fancier ball mounts with a separate shank).

They make ball mounts that will handle your requirements. For example, here is a fixed ball mount for a 2" receiver and with enough weight capacity to tow up to 12,000 pounds:
Link: Ball Mount 7" Rise or 8" Drop, 12,000 lbs Draw-Tite Ball Mounts 4283

8" drop not enough? Here's an adjustable one with over 9.5" drop rated to tow a trailer up to 6,000 pounds:
Ball Mount Adjustable Fits 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver, 6,000 lbs Hidden Hitch Ball Mounts 80412

Here's another adjustable ball mount with towing capacity of 10,000 pounds or 14,000 pounds, depending on the weight capacity of the ball you use, with adjustable rise up to 5.25" and adjustable drop down to 6". That should be enough adjustment to get that dolly level if you don't have your tow vehicle lifted.
Link: Channel Style Adjustable Ballmount - 2" & 2-5/16" Balls - 14,000 lbs Curt Ball Mounts C45900

Look around at the other fixed and adjustable ball mounts on the ETrailer.com website, and you'll probably find one to meet your needs.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Check it after you decide which hitch you're using, mainly the ramps because if not correct they could rub and scratch the underneath of the car or if not right they could drag the ground while traveling. Jim
Jim/Lois 1999 Newmar Mountain Aire MACA3797 F53 - V10
Bel Air, Maryland 5 Star Tuning & Air Lift Bags
camperkids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The trailer tongue should be level of course but using large drop down hitches can put a strain on the receiver. I have used drop downs both right side up and upside down to raise or lower the tongue but was careful not to overload the hitch.

Obviously a 3" drop down will have less affect than a 7". Just use common sense and/or ask at a trailer dealer.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Well, of course your receiver must be strong enough to handle the weight-carrying (WC) load of the trailer, including the added leverage of the drop-down ball mount. Most OEM receivers are rated for 5,000 or 6,000 pounds max WC (without a weight-distributing hitch). If you need more weight capacity than that, then they make those too. Several brands are available with WC rating of 10,000 to 14,000 pounds. Here's a Curt receiver rated for 16,000 pounds WC trailer weight. That one is for a specific tow vehicle, but they probably make them for your tow vehicle too.

SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote