Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Question Using brakeless dolly and a Brake Buddy

I found some older threads that mentioned (no pros/cons/concerns) using this option for toad/dolly braking and it is something I am considering. I already own the break Buddy and I am leaning towards a dolly for the toad because it allows for many more toad purchase options. Are there any cautions against going this way? The only thing that comes to my mind is the toad being pulled off the dolly in a severe braking situation but I guess one could always use chain/chains to further secure the toad to the dolly?

Is there anyone doing this and or can comment on any legal/insurance issues of this method?

Much appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
The only thing that comes to my mind is the toad being pulled off the dolly in a severe braking situation but I guess one could always use chain/chains to further secure the toad to the dolly?

Is there anyone doing this and or can comment on any legal/insurance issues of this method?

Much appreciated.

The first thing that comes to mind is the braking bias built into all vehicles that directs 80 -95% of braking forces to the front wheels. Rear wheels only on the ground will not provide sufficient braking action.

Phil

PSOUZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Put your Brake Buddy in the closet and get brakes on your dolly.

I have Surge brakes on my dolly and have had no problems.

Just make sure that you dolly wheels are aligned.

Great travelling.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may be guaranteed to set your ABS light on since your rear wheels will be turning while driving and the computer will sense that the front wheels are not. It just depends on wether or not your system has power to that computer when the key is off.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

I think the rear tires will lock up and skid before they help much in a hard stop.

For routine stopping it could work, but so could no brakes. That's not when you really need them.

Have you ever pulled the emergency break handle, in a front drive car ?

Try it at 25 mph, but keep your finger on the relese button, so you can drop it off.

As far as pulling on the straps, it's no different than with dolly brakes and the car pushing on them.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
As far as pulling on the straps, it's no different than with dolly brakes and the car pushing on them.
No, that's not true.. Have towed with Dollies and generally they have a "Stop" to keep you from driving right over the thing..

You pull onto it till the tires hit the stop. THEN you strap down, The design is such that it take a whole lot of "Push" to push the tires over the stop.. Thus the straps are not stressed by stopping..

But if the car's brakes lock up..... Then it is PULLING against the straps and this is what others have warned me about.

Countering that I note that the front brakes on the car will also be locked,, which may tend to hold the car on the dolly.

But I'd not recommend using a brake buddy on a dolly towed car.. But then I do not recommend a dolly, less you have to.

If you have the tow capacity. Try a full trailer, if not, and the car can be towed 4 Down.. That's the only way to tow.

Guy across from me tows his Corvette in a portable garage (Fully enclosed Auto Trailer) and .. Well. i'd do it that way too if it were my car .

Tags
brake, dolly