Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 03:10 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Using EZ Pass in toad and MH

Really did try the search function and it kept saying search terms were too short.

Naturally we will have an EZ Pass unit in both the MH and Toad. Curious how this works when you go through booth. Are you charged once of the MH and once for the Toad?

Or do you put the one for the toad in one of those protective wrappers to kept toad from being charged when it is being towed with the MH ?

Or do you just move the EZ Pass from the toad to the MH and just use one EX Pass unit?

Thanks in Advance for any insight into how to set this up. BTW any input to how the MH is charged when it is a tag axle?

rg

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 03:20 AM   #2

When I got the EZ Pass transponder for my MH, they gave me a bag to stow the toad transponder so that it will not be detected by the toll sensors. The toll booth counts the number of axles as you pass through. If you have more axles than are programmed into the MH transponder, it charges you for a trailer. If the toll booth sees an additional transponder, it charges you for two vehicles. The trailer costs less than the additional vehicle.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 06-10-2015, 04:13 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Same as above .
Old 06-10-2015, 04:43 AM   #4

In Fl the Sunpass system charges by axel. So if you're towing a car you get charged for the extra 2 axels in addition to the MH. If you have a TAG, you get charged for the extra TAG axel. I have a transponder for the MH and the car. When towing, I remove the transponder from the windshield of the car and wrap it in aluminum foil (they did not provide a foil bag with the transponder). Otherwise I'd get charged for the cars transponder and the extra axels when going through the toll booth.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:04 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

x2 for Jondrew

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #6

This topic got me thinking. I called Maryland EZ-Pass, and explained the situation. I have an EZ-Pass for the Cherokee, and asked if I needed another one for the motorhome. She said no. All I needed to do was add the motorhome to the existing transponder. I asked her what would happen when I crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. She said the EZ-Pass will be read in the motorhome, and if I am towing the Cherokee, the system will see 4 axles. The total charge will be $18. It seems that since the current cash toll is $6, it would be cheaper to unhitch, have the wife follow me over the bridge, and then hitch back up. Doing it that way would only cost $12. So it looks like once again, Maryland has their hand in my pocket for some extra profits.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
California is $5 per vehicle, but $20 when towing.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #8

Jim,
We just experienced this identical situation last month so I can give you some $$ that will help show you how it breaks down. I have the mini-Pass on the MH and on the car and mine are the cheap ones so they cannot be removed. On the Florida turnpike we were towing my car on a tow dolly behind the MH so we had 4 axles on the ground. The first charge was for $8.55 which was the MH/car with 4 axles. The second charge was for just the car at $2.85. I figured I would be charged this way even though one agent said if the car was close it wouldn't pick up the second mini-pass but I knew I could call when I got home and they would adjust the charge. At the conclusion of our trip, I called and they removed the second charge at each toll booth for just the car. It's frustrating that with the car attached that it is so much more expensive but at this toll it is $2.85 for the first 2 axles and then $2.85 for each additional axle after two, hence the $8.55 charge. I asked if there was anyway to prevent this and she said she heard of people putting aluminum foil over the sunpass. It's rare that we tow the car through these tolls but next time I'll fold over several layers of aluminum foil and just duct tape it over the outside of the windshield. Hope this helps.
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpusher View Post
I have the mini-Pass on the MH and on the car and mine are the cheap ones so they cannot be removed. On the Florida turnpike we were towing my car on a tow dolly behind the MH so we had 4 axles on the ground.
I scraped the old mini pass off my car and replaced it with the suction cup removable transponder. Fortunately I don't tow often enough that it's a huge issue. Just hate the idea of paying twice.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

In Ma. I was told I needed 2 for the MH. One for the MH only and one for when I had one of my jeeps in tow. Can't use either of them for the jeeps alone. So I have 2. Am getting ready to get one for the Rubicon as the CJ doesn't get much highway use.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #11

FWIW part of the problem is that when counting axles they can't tell if you are a trailer or semi trailer hence the big charge. Paying cash the toll taker can tell and class accordingly. But then you get hit for paying cash.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #12

I just paid $31 for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel in my DP with Toad,
they swiped my credit card in the 'Cash' lane
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #13

My NY pass is blue for the MH. The charges, are by the axle, when towing.

The toad pass is white. I foil bag it, when towing it.

1 time, I forgot and just emailed them, to remove the charge, stating that both, were at the same time. I got the credit.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW part of the problem is that when counting axles they can't tell if you are a trailer or semi trailer hence the big charge. Paying cash the toll taker can tell and class accordingly. But then you get hit for paying cash.
I don't believe the FL toll system works this way but I could be wrong. Normally we have a single axle trailer that we pull with the MH and we only pay $5.70 for that toll. $2.85 for the MH and $2.85 for the single axle trailer. You can actually go their website and it will calculate the toll for you based on your axles and the route you want to take.
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad