Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Using landscaping trailer to tow motorcycle

I recently acquired a 10 foot landscaping trailer which I thought would be ideal to tow my motorcycle with my 24' Navion Itasca. A couple of concerned that I have are:
A) The trailer has working lights but not brakes.
B) I have read that ( and I'm not sure ) if said trailers don't incorporate their own breaks then it adds like 1000 lbs to the CCC of the MH. Is that true?
C) Seeing that the 2008 154 HP engine has been known to be underpowerd I am wondering if I am going about this the wrong way?
Please tell me all is not lost otherwise I'm afraid I will have to return the landscaping trailer because I wanted it primarily for towing the bike. I really don't need it for landscaping.
Thanks all!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #2

I wouldn't worry about the brakes because you won't have that much weight back there but I would worry about the tire size. Anything less than 15" wheels will throw bearings fast at 60 mph. Ask me how I know....
Old 08-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #3

It's a motorhome, you're supposed to be relaxed, so it will go a little slower, so what?

Seriously, you should have about 2,500 pounds towing capacity without any issue IIRC.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #4

I tow up to 1500 with my Dodge Neon for many "brakeless" miles without issue. Go for it.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Whew! I wasn't expecting to hear those positive replies. I thought for sure that by not having brakes on the trailer while towing my nine hundred plus pounds Harley Davidson that I was asking for trouble.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #6

Add up your trailer and motorcycle weights, then look here Trailer Brakes | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
It might help some.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #7

About all utility single axle trailer don't have brakes, mine has a 3500lb axle no brakes.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
Add up your trailer and motorcycle weights, then look here Trailer Brakes | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
It might help some.
Hey, thanks for this link! It looks like I'm under 3,000 lbs. so I should be good to go!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #9

Don't rush into a decision about where you'll be ok without brakes until you read the fine print.

In some jurisdictions the term is "registered gross weight" of XXX pounds.

New York State for example, if your trailer has a manufacturer label that says it has a GVWR of 3,500 pounds, brakes would then be required even if the trailer is empty.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #10

Man don't let some dissuade you. I have a small utility trailer that I load with about 800 or so pounds of stuff when we are going to the lake with friends. The max the trailer will hold is 2k. I don't even feel it. With just a motorcycle you will be ok. Just make sure you go slow and give yourself room for stoping. I don't drive fast anyway. If I was towing a car I would have brakes

JMHO Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #11

Just don't overload the trailers MGWR and you will be ok behind a MH. I have a box trailer I carry 2 full size cruisers in. It has a single axle which is a brake axle. The brakes helps, but are not necessary unless I have both bikes in the trailer. That is behind a Z-71GMC 1500. The only thing I would worry about is debris hitting the bike. Sand and other stuff kicked up can ruin a bike quick. Make a deflector to go on the front of the trailer to protect the bike. A good wheel chock and ratchet straps to secure the bike with will be on the checklist too. To keep the straps clean and store out of the sun when not being used, I'd put a small lock box on the trailer somewhere.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:16 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Just don't overload the trailers MGWR and you will be ok behind a MH. I have a box trailer I carry 2 full size cruisers in. It has a single axle which is a brake axle. The brakes helps, but are not necessary unless I have both bikes in the trailer. That is behind a Z-71GMC 1500. The only thing I would worry about is debris hitting the bike. Sand and other stuff kicked up can ruin a bike quick. Make a deflector to go on the front of the trailer to protect the bike. A good wheel chock and ratchet straps to secure the bike with will be on the checklist too. To keep the straps clean and store out of the sun when not being used, I'd put a small lock box on the trailer somewhere.
Yeah, sand & debris are a genuine concern of mine. I have heard that they will scuff up the bike pretty good. I do try to keep my bike as unblemished as I can. Owners pride, I guess.
What kind of a deflector? How about a cover for the bike after is is secured? And yeah, a wheel chock & good tie downs are on the way.
Thanks! Ride safe!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #13

At the front of the trailer, if no solid barrier rising up from floor, I'd attatch something 18 to 30 inches tall, depending on the length of the tongue and distance from rear wheels of tv to hitch.

As far as a cover, not on an open trailer. The wind will constantly be moving the cover and causing abrasion to the bikes finish. Won't take long to leave marks!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
In some jurisdictions the term is "registered gross weight" of XXX pounds.
I agree, that's important.

I have a 10' landscaping trailer (not used for RV'ing) with an axle rated for 3500lbs. However, the manufacturer rates the trailer as 2995lbs gross which means it doesn't have to have its own braking system, doesn't have to have an annual inspection and it can be priced lower than if it had brakes. I'd bet yours is also rated below the 3000 lb mark.

I'd say you're good to go if the states you travel in use > 3000lbs gross as their requirement for brakes and you're comfortable with its size.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote