Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 11:03 PM   #29

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I use locking pins that came from Blue Ox.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 11:07 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use locks on all points. Even if the MH or the Toad caught fire, I would not be able to release them from each other very easily anyway. The MH has a Quiet Hitch installed so the tow bar could pull out even if I do unlock it. The Toad has pad locks in place of the pins to ensure it does not go any where and there is a Tow Defender installed you have to first get it out of the way then remove the locks and remove the emergency cables before it comes loos anyway. You also have to set the brake in the Toad relief the pressure on the towbar in order to disconnect anyway.
So without a fire happening I can get it down in about 5 minuets. So add in a fire in the MH and I'm trying to hurry. It won't happen, burn baby burn. Remember the Toad is in Flat Tow mode, that takes 5 minutes to reverse by it self.
Personally I think the real answer is pull over exit the MH and get far away while someone calls for help. Let it burn and be safe I say.

The locks are there to help keep the Toad attached properly to the MH. They also keep those that would normally not do stupid things from doing them when they are not in their right mind or just being evil.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
In more than 30 years of flat towing I have never had anyone p!ay with my hookups. If you ever had a fire in your toad disconnecting locked pins would be a nightmare. Any time we stop I check all the pins,cables and wiring. I like the poster that modified grade 8 bolts. Great idea.
I had the experience I'm watching a rig pass in front of me with all four wheels of the tow vehicle locked tight and smoking like crazy. I was pulling out of a gas station when he went by and got on the ramp to the highway; by the time I caught him we were going 70 miles an hour! You can imagine how much smoke there was... but the driver had not a single clue! When I (finally)got his attention and convinced him to pull over, he immediately went back to his toad... Which is about the same time that it burst into flames. It was burning so hot, so fast that there was no way to get the vehicle disconnected from his RV. In that case, I'm certain the pins - whether they were locked or not, played no role in the final outcome.
By the time fire trucks arrived his RV was fully engulfed in flames. It was a total loss. The best the owners could do was to remove some of their possessions while trying to gauge how much time they had to do so. It was a sickening thing to watch.
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSDP View Post
Another thing about using locks in place of lunch pins is that the metal used on most will crack and snap if subjected to a sharp jolt!
There is very little pressure (if any) against the locks since the main pin is still being used. The locks or pins, whatever you prefer, is just to keep the large connecting pin from falling out.

Do you have some proof that that locks will crack or snap? I'd be interested to see where someone has experienced this failure.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
We would not use locks for one reason. We have seen several toads on fire in the recent years and if your toad does have an issue now in a panic you need to find keys and unlock the toad before getting it safely away from the coach

When we park even if it is just for lunch I always walk around and double check all connections just to make sure all is fine. We nice checked out for know we are safe to travel. I also keep spare pinned with me for our blue ox

Excellent Advise - There are those out there that lock up everything including surge protectors and water softeners

Interesting that not many have come into to this discussion and actually said some one took their pins
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin4Fun View Post
I had the experience I'm watching a rig pass in front of me with all four wheels of the tow vehicle locked tight and smoking like crazy. I was pulling out of a gas station when he went by and got on the ramp to the highway; by the time I caught him we were going 70 miles an hour! You can imagine how much smoke there was... but the driver had not a single clue! When I (finally)got his attention and convinced him to pull over, he immediately went back to his toad... Which is about the same time that it burst into flames. It was burning so hot, so fast that there was no way to get the vehicle disconnected from his RV. In that case, I'm certain the pins - whether they were locked or not, played no role in the final outcome.
By the time fire trucks arrived his RV was fully engulfed in flames. It was a total loss. The best the owners could do was to remove some of their possessions while trying to gauge how much time they had to do so. It was a sickening thing to watch.
Wow, what a shame.

One thing I did while dolly towing was stop after a mile and check my straps and my wheels for heat. Now that I am four down, I stop after a mile and feel the rotors on my towed vehicle for heat. I also have several hard turns to get to the main road. I check my mirrors for good steer wheel movement as well.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
There is very little pressure (if any) against the locks since the main pin is still being used. The locks or pins, whatever you prefer, is just to keep the large connecting pin from falling out.

Do you have some proof that that locks will crack or snap? I'd be interested to see where someone has experienced this failure.
Well. if you use a liquid nitrogen freezing spray then hit the hasp with a hammer they will break.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Excellent Advise - There are those out there that lock up everything including surge protectors and water softeners

Interesting that not many have come into to this discussion and actually said some one took their pins
I haven't had pins removed on the MH towed combo, I have had it happen with my towed towing a utility trailer while at a Home Depot. Got what I came for and was leaving the lot, noticed some kids watching so I decided to stop and check. Up, the pin holding the drawbar pin was gone. Went back into the store and bought another.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #37

On our way home from Yellowstone a couple of months ago we stayed in a campground in Amarillo. In the middle of the night, four people tried their best to steal our toad. I wanted to scare them off, but confronting four people that could’ve been armed to the teeth might not have been the best decision. Even if they weren’t armed that's still four against one. That could be a question for another thread “What do you do in that situation?”The police said they got there as quickly as they could and I believe them. But, in that time there’s no telling how far they could’ve gotten with the jeep and the tow bar, had it not been fully secured. Whoever they were split just before the police showed up, we think they probably had a lookout. The officers told us that in their experience a lot of people leave their jeep in transfer neutral and don’t use locks, which makes them a very easy target. I know a lot of people don’t like to use the locks but I’m sure glad we did.

2018 Coachmen Pursuit 32WC
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport Toad
cusnow2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well. if you use a liquid nitrogen freezing spray then hit the hasp with a hammer they will break.
Thanks. I'll try to avoid doing that
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #39

Well,
As we can all see and read, this is a judgement call. I wouldn't lock the toad to the tow bar if someone paid me to. Having responded to many, many RV fires in my career, yep, they can get going kind-a fast. But, what status they're in by the time US getting to them AFTER, they've been reported, and AFTER, we've fought traffic that ALWAYS congested the immediate and surrounding area, is not always catastrophic. Not all of them start in the engine compartment. Not all of them are a specific type like diesel pushers or gassers, or class As or Cs. They vary widely.

Of the many, many I've responded to that "had" toads connected, about 98% of them had the toads disconnected and pulled waaaaaaaay back by the time we got there and were able put out the melting pile of aluminum. Only one or two actually caught the toad on fire too and, even that damage wasn't a total loss but, it did render the toad useless.

As stated, knowing what I know and how things work, I wouldn't lock my toad to the coach at all. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let a $45K Jeep burn up 'cause I was worried about "what if". Everyone has to make their own decision in situations like this. Our Jeep has remote start so, if and/or when something like this should EVER happen to us, the keys to it are right in front of her on the dash of the motor home. She's push the remote start, She'd grab the dog and, she'd be out in seconds, with me on her butt. By the time she'd actually sit in the drivers seat of the Jeep (which would take seconds), I'd already have all but one pin undone on the Jeep. And with adrenalin being a control factor here, I'd most likely have BOTH 1" pins already out and the Jeep being pushed away.

It's already running so, she'd drop it in gear (and in this case, NONE of the outlined procedures are followed) meaning, that transfer case would go into ANY GEAR she'd could get it in, and that would be enough for me to drop the last pin and she'd back that thing up as far as needed. DONE!

Again, these are individual decisions each one of us has to make. If you've already written your toad off BEFORE really evaluating an emergency or even a pending emergency set of conditions is presented to you, that's entirely up to you. It's your equipment. Losing the coach would be traumatic enough. But, losing both and being totally imobile, no matter how close to civilization you are, would SUCK even more. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #40

Using Locks on Tow Bar

If there is a fire, it is automatically not my circus, and my judgement is to get out and stand away, far away!
Many toad fires seem to be aux-brake related, often because they are not used according to instructions.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I just started using them. Got a small set of Master Locks at WM...just another level of security.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
No lock for me. And as far as lynch ( check tractor supply) pins go I believe more are lost due to improper securing than being stolen. I have a tractor with several implements that use the same pins and over years have never lost one. On the motor home, I run a bungee strap from ring to ring on the pins, will never lose one. Binding was also mentioned making it hard to release the pins quickly. I carry a 9 inch punch and hammer on the floor board of the toad, one good hit on each pin and they are out. Also long fire service career and seen my share of motorhome / RV fires. They happen more often than you think. Jim E OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow