Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
Using Motorhome to launch 18' pontoon boat?

I've seen some discussion but am still unsure of this topic. I have 20 years of experience launching boats/pontoons. I am a new RV owner and currently own a 18' pontoon sitting on a cradle style trailer. Can anyone share their experience or cautions on this? I'm scared to death.
1998 34' Winnebago Chieftain, Ford V10.

Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Having trailer boated for many years with cars and trucks, and seen quite a few ramp problems through the years, I'd be scared too. One thing to get another boater to help pull your stranded rig out when you can't get traction on your car/truck, but I doubt anyone would volunteer for a large rig.

2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Not a pontoon but a 20' Cuddy Cabin. On my previous 34' M/H I installed a front hitch........mainly to keep the drive wheels on solid ground at unpaved launch ramps.
I'd think a pontoon would be easy as the width helps keep both sides in sight when backing up.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
It's going to be the ramp that would determine whether I would try it or not, and unless it was a fairly shallow ramp, I would not try it by myself.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On our first rig (81 Titan) we put a hitch on the front end. We could launch and retrieve our 20 ft bayliner Capri very easily and never worried about traction issues. We have a 24 ft party barge right now but wouldn't even consider trying to take it down a ramp forward or backward. Too risky for me, if we wanted a houseboat we would have bought one.
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
It should be no problem. I launch a 23 ft boat and others with our 40ft Holiday Rambler. Unless the ramp is at a really steep angle it is like any other vehicle and the extra weight of the RV helps to maintain traction. Never had a problem unless you don't have a backup camera and have trouble backing a trailer. Good Luck.
2002 Holiday Rambler 40 PBT
Jimmyzw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No different hooking up to assist pulling out with a vehcile if you don't have the traction. Don't hesitate to ask. I once pulled an 18 wheeler out of a ditch when he accidentally put one of his drive wheels in the muddy area. I had a Chevy 1 ton pickup and a chain. Hooked up and pulled him with no problem. It is amazing what just a little tug will do when someone is "stuck."

However, I have seen a video with a MH backing a boat and the boat and MH went in the water. I sure would not attempt it.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Did it a number of times with a 21ft glass and a 16ft aluminum. If in salt, I wait for high tide. Otherwise no problems. I hate maintaining boat trailer brakes and repacking wheel brearings so I always launch and retrieve with minimum water over the trailer which helps keep the rear wheels of the motorhome out of the slick part of a ramp, particularly with the long rear overhang of most motorhomes. I see these guys back the rear end of their pickup into the water just to avoid having to winch the boat on and shake my head.
USN, Retired
2002 Tradewinds LTC Founders Ed
2004 Tundra Double Cab toad, 2007 Honda Goldwing
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
I do it with my 17.5 runabout no problems, however I would not attempt it unless it was, as mentioned, a shallow ramp and one that I'm familiar with. I've seen enough ramps that are a challenge with a pick up so I think prior knowledge is very important before attempting with a motorhome.
2004 Newmar KSDP 3353
Surrey B.C.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Launching a Ranger Reata 1850 with 150 Yamaha four stroke with a 31 for Class C with V10 No problems... Like Submustang says the overhang of my Class C keeps the drive wheels dry..
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #11

Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote