Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #1

using my 2007 duramax 4x4 as a toad

I am thinking about making my 2007 duramax as my toad, i know it's a bit much but i think it will be cheaper than buying a jeep just to pull a few times a year, ( oh ya ! my wife says i don't need another toy ) after reading a ton of posts it looks like i am leaning towards the AIR FORCE 1 brake system and a roadmaster blackhawk 2 tow bar, the truck weighs about 7000 lbs.

Has anyone had any experience with a vehicle this big.

Any info would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Last year a couple pulled into the campground lot next to us pulling a long cab Ford F-250 4X4 in a Phaeton with a Cat C-7 330 HP. He said that it was a snap and that he had been pulling it for two years.

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey, badtip, you don't have a profile as to what you are driving. I'm curious as to what you are towing, or going to tow it, with?

I only ask this, as some states have an overall length limit that you should be aware of.

Oh, and welcome to the forum
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #4

I'm looking into setting up my 01 F-350 SuperDuty Diesel SRW/LB/EC to tow behind ours - plus I can put the golf cart in the truck bed. Many of the places we go it would be nice to have a seperate vehicle. Combined weight of the truck and golf cart would be around 8500 lbs or so.

The problem Im having (justifying in my own mind) is why those tow bars cost so darn much - there is less than 150.00 worth of material in them. I could buy a nice twin axle heavy duty trailer with electric brakes for what a tow bar and braking system would cost just to flat tow (4 down) the truck alone.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my humble opinion, I think it is foolish and unsafe to tow anything heavier than 4000 lbs. If the toad brake fails, if you go into a skid, it may be dangerous with a large vehicle.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
I'm looking into setting up my 01 F-350 SuperDuty Diesel SRW/LB/EC to tow behind ours - plus I can put the golf cart in the truck bed. Many of the places we go it would be nice to have a seperate vehicle. Combined weight of the truck and golf cart would be around 8500 lbs or so.

The problem Im having (justifying in my own mind) is why those tow bars cost so darn much - there is less than 300.00 worth of material in them. I could buy a nice twin axle heavy duty trailer with electric brakes for what a tow bar and braking system would cost just to flat tow (4 down) the truck alone.
Not to start a debate on tow bar pricing...but you have to look at the price and remember that not only does the company have the cost of material but also the liability insurance to cover their product, their overhead (ie employees, manufacture facilities, technical support, marketing, etc...), dealer/distributor price points to meet, the list goes on and on. Not too mention as a business they are there to actually MAKE some money, otherwise they wouldn't be around very long. Not trying to bash you in anyway, shape or form just trying to clarify what is all involved in the pricing of these things....also you wouldn't have to worry about the storage of the trailer, extra weight of the trailer and added expense of licensing, tires, maintenance, accessibility into certain parks and ease of use that a tow bar setup brings.

As with everything though, there are Pro's and Con's to each and to each his own!
Ultra RV Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #7

You're correct Jon, absolutely correct. Trailer licensing and maintenance alone on the trailer would come close to the same price as the towbar itself in just a few short years.. plus the convenience factor.. which a price cannot be applied to PLUS having to deal with parking the trailer when not being used. Your $0.02 cents worth is appreciated.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtip View Post
I am thinking about making my 2007 duramax as my toad, i know it's a bit much but i think it will be cheaper than buying a jeep just to pull a few times a year, ( oh ya ! my wife says i don't need another toy ) after reading a ton of posts it looks like i am leaning towards the AIR FORCE 1 brake system and a roadmaster blackhawk 2 tow bar, the truck weighs about 7000 lbs.

Has anyone had any experience with a vehicle this big.

Any info would be appreciated.
His profile indicates an Allegro Buss 33'. The "33" might be a typo for "43". In any case it appears that it is a diesel pusher.

If the above paragraph is correct, a 7,000 lb toad will be no problem, just make sure to use a tow bar of sufficient capacity and an auxiliary braking system.

Given the number of big toads that I see on the road behind the diesel pushers, this can't be very controversial. Hopefully more owners will pipe in.

The ones that worry me are gas rigs with really heavy toads. Hopefully they have made the upgrades that are needed to make it safe for them to tow over 5,000 lbs of toad.

Tale from my past: A place I used to work allowed the computer lab to recycle the computer paper and cards (yes that long ago) into a fund for employee events. One time we loaded up my parents VW camper (71) with boxes and boxes of paper. As we drove to the recycle station, the ride seemed a bit stiff. When we weighed, unloaded, then weighed again, I found we had just sold over 3000 lbs of paper. The VW was overloaded by almost double its capacity and weight of the paper was almost how much the VW weighed (3200 lbs). The trip to the recycle station had been on the bump stops, no suspension. Never did that again.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #9

IMHO, a bit much to use as a toad. When I get where I'm going, I want a small run around vehicle, not a 3/4 ton diesel truck. If, as you stated, you are only going to do this a couple of times a year, I'd get a cheap (but reliable) smaller and older car...cheap to buy, insure, operate, no brake required, smaller tow bars, less drag on the MH, and no wear and tear on your high dollar Duramax.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I pull my 08 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 behind my 08 Camelot with an ISL 400. Can't even tell it's there for the most part. I use the M&G brake system I installed myself and it's been perfect. I love the fact I can hook up my toad brake in 5 seconds and have a proportional braking system with no electronics to go south or cables binding or breaking.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We pull a 5,900 lb Avalance 1500 4x4 with Air Force 1. We used to pull a PT Cruiser on a tow dolly. Hardly a difference in fuel mileage or telling which one I was pulling. Bottom line, if you coach can pull it safely and you like your truck pull it. Why but something to tow if you have already have a toad.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #12

Tell me about the M +G brake system, as i am scouring the types to brake my toad which will be a grand cherokee. Thanks, Jerry
Old 02-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #13

Thanks for all the replies, i guess i need to add some info to my profile about my MH, it is a 1998 allegro bus 33' (not a typo) freightliner chassis, 275 ISB cummins, the coach weighs about 21000 lbs loaded with a gross weight of 28000 lbs, the hitch is rated for 10000 lbs.

The reason i don't buy another smaller vehicle to use is that i hardly use the truck i have, (i drive a company truck during the week) and that would be just another vehicle sitting around not being used.

The reason for this tow bar and brake system is it seems like i could move it to another vehicle easily if needed in the future.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #14

I tow 2005 2500 4wd crewcab longbed duramax

I've towed this rig about 10,000 since last March from NC to CA and up the coast thru Or and back into and thru the Rockys. I've had no problems and it tows just great. Granted 74 ft overall, it's longer than most states allow but no law enforcement has ever paid any attention to it.
I'm now looking for a Jeep Rubicon for a toad but only because I like to go 4wheeling in some rough country in the Rockys and this longbed truck just can't do it.
So I know your truck will be ok as toad but not sure your coach engine is going to like it that much.