Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Always on.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #30

I agree with using the rear camera all the time. As others have stated, it enhances safety by providing information that would not be possible without monitoring the entire rear scene.

Not only do I travel with my primary camera on, I installed a second camera (a wireless one) and another monitor up front as a backup (no pun intended) to make certain I would not be without rear vision coverage as provided by cameras.

The second monitor is visible by the driver and co-pilot and it enables a second set of eyes on our 6 o'clock.

I don't have side cameras but I have regular and convex mirrors so positioned so I don't have blindspots on either side while driving but side cameras are nice enhancements.

I encourage all RVers to use rear cameras all the time.

I am thinking of providing security cameras with 360 degree coverage while parked with a video recording capability just as I have in my house. This could be monitored from anywhere in the RV or from the internet or via wireless LAN. . (I have a Portable WiFi hotspot in my RV through 3 or 4 g cell wifi hotspot device.

Wondered if anyone has this security service capability on thier RV.

Comments on this are welcome.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #31

I finally figured it out,power button always on,but you have to push the camera #2 button for it stay on in the drive mode.Yeah,I leave it on all the time now,I like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I worked for a Fleetwood dealer. I never saw a Fleetwood product that could not be driven with the back up camera on. that includes my 98 Pace Arrow.I like to keep it on to be sure when to pull back in when passing someone.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #32

I always have the camera on without the sound.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I agree with using the rear camera all the time. As others have stated, it enhances safety by providing information that would not be possible without monitoring the entire rear scene.

Not only do I travel with my primary camera on, I installed a second camera (a wireless one) and another monitor up front as a backup (no pun intended) to make certain I would not be without rear vision coverage as provided by cameras.

The second monitor is visible by the driver and co-pilot and it enables a second set of eyes on our 6 o'clock.

I don't have side cameras but I have regular and convex mirrors so positioned so I don't have blindspots on either side while driving but side cameras are nice enhancements.

I encourage all RVers to use rear cameras all the time.

I am thinking of providing security cameras with 360 degree coverage while parked with a video recording capability just as I have in my house. This could be monitored from anywhere in the RV or from the internet or via wireless LAN. . (I have a Portable WiFi hotspot in my RV through 3 or 4 g cell wifi hotspot device.

Wondered if anyone has this security service capability on thier RV.

Comments on this are welcome.

That's an excellent idea. i am always having intermittant camera issues and have been thinking of installing another that will give a better view. not really happy with the camera/Clarion unit that the rig came with. i'm always having intermittant faults and the GPS is constantly wanting me to get off of I5 and then right back on again! this rig has side cameras, but the switching for them is slow. it takes about 3 - 4 seconds for the picture to come up so the mirrors are more usefull to me.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #34

Thanks - The second Camera on the RV is a great safety asset. It covers 170 degrees and has better coverage than my primary one and having it visible from both seats is an added bonus. 4 eyes are better than 2.

I took the power source from the primary camera. This wireless camera takes only about 600ma to operate and has a transmission range of 100ft to the receiver in the monitor. I have never encountered any RF interference issues.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #35
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Always on as well.

I have been contemplating a DVR and adding a dash cam and two side veiws. I found a four camera DVR that runs off 12v and has a network connection too.

Just need to come up with $300 without DW finding out. Then how do I explain anouther unfunded project?

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post

Just need to come up with $300 without DW finding out. Then how do I explain anouther unfunded project?
pour a little oil under her car then "fix" it....works every time!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #37

Re dash cam. This is a bit off topic in the towing area and rear view cameras but I am following the comment about a dash cam.

While we don't have an actual dash cam installed, we often have our video cam mounted on a bean bag and secured with velcro and it sits on the dash for instant use. It is powered up via a 12 lead and is always in the power-on mode. We have a remote control so all my DW has to do is press record on the remote control and we capture either a still or video of whatever is in its field of view. It can readilly be picked up for better coverage of what we want ro look at. Sometimes the vehicle movement gives a shaky picture but generally the quality is fine,

We take still shots and video of many things while travelling and erase the garbage every so often. The cam has a 120gb HD for video and a 32gb sd card for stills so we can record a lot before cleaning up the storage space. We have pictures and video of events that just pop up such as animals crossing out paths or once we just had the camera on and we captured an accident that happened within camera range. We stopped to aid the injured people and called the police and downloaded the accident related clips and put on a CD for the police while right on the scene. We recorded everything before during and after the accident. My recordings were used in court because charges were laid against a very aggressive driver who caused the accident. (My video captured the license plate of the reckless driver as he passed me at great speed and cut a car off in front of me. He clipped the car and forced it off the road and then fled the scene. Police caught him a short time later based on the info I provided to them). We continue to record as we go and then erase what we don't want to keep. Have not put any clips on Utube yet but am thinking about it. We have captured some interesting events on video.

Just wondered if other RVers capture things as they drive as I do.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Re dash cam. This is a bit off topic in the towing area and rear view cameras but I am following the comment about a dash cam.

While we don't have an actual dash cam installed, we often have our video cam mounted on a bean bag and secured with velcro and it sits on the dash for instant use. It is powered up via a 12 lead and is always in the power-on mode. We have a remote control so all my DW has to do is press record on the remote control and we capture either a still or video of whatever is in its field of view. It can readilly be picked up for better coverage of what we want ro look at. Sometimes the vehicle movement gives a shaky picture but generally the quality is fine,

We take still shots and video of many things while travelling and erase the garbage every so often. The cam has a 120gb HD for video and a 32gb sd card for stills so we can record a lot before cleaning up the storage space. We have pictures and video of events that just pop up such as animals crossing out paths or once we just had the camera on and we captured an accident that happened within camera range. We stopped to aid the injured people and called the police and downloaded the accident related clips and put on a CD for the police while right on the scene. We recorded everything before during and after the accident. My recordings were used in court because charges were laid against a very aggressive driver who caused the accident. (My video captured the license plate of the reckless driver as he passed me at great speed and cut a car off in front of me. He clipped the car and forced it off the road and then fled the scene. Police caught him a short time later based on the info I provided to them). We continue to record as we go and then erase what we don't want to keep. Have not put any clips on Utube yet but am thinking about it. We have captured some interesting events on video.

Just wondered if other RVers capture things as they drive as I do.
Last trip out west we made 17 hours of video. Nothing I like better than setting in front of the TV on a cold day and watching scenes of Arizona and New Mexico.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #39
TGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
Always on as well.

I have been contemplating a DVR and adding a dash cam and two side veiws. I found a four camera DVR that runs off 12v and has a network connection too.

Father's Day is around the corner. How does that sound?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
always on helps check traffic as well
Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Always on to keep track of the crazy truck that seems to always follow us. Actually ours went out once, and I didn't understand how immensely helpful it was to DH when driving. Since we're so long with a dingy, he relies heavily on it for lane changes. Mirrors aren't quite enough.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Same here. On all the time.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, towing