Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Using towed vehicle for storage while traveling

I searched this forum for this topic but didn't find anything. I have a 2004 Itasca Sunrise 8.1 Chevy workhorse with Allison transmission. I tow my 2008 Nissan Versa (GVWR-3700 lb) with a Stehl dolly w/Kodiak disc brakes w/a GVWR-2999 lb. My MH says total towing 5000 lb.
So two questions;
Is the dolly GVWR the weight of the dolly or the max towing weight? I towed the Nissan from PA to MS with no problems.
Second question; can I put extra weight in the car with no worries?
I'm moving to MS and there's no way I'm going to get everything in the MH.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Pass Christian, MS Retired
2004 Itasca Sunrise, Full Timer
Rendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
Without getting to technical just use your common sense when loading stuff into your TOAD. Hang-up clothes, shoes and stuff like that which takes up space but is not to heavy. You will get answers about weighing this and that but lets be reasonable. Most stuff has limits that errors on the side of caution. It may say you can haul 5-K but many do load more. Is that correct??? Probably not but as long as you don't put all your tools into the TOAD you'd be OK.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
but to get the correct answer you have to at least have an idea of weights

since it's on a dolly there is probable marginal pin wgt,
so focus on the actual weight of the dolly, the car, and it's contents...
keep that around 5k and you are good...

what is the actual weight of your Nissan and what you will be putting in it ?
that has to stay not more much than the 3700 lbs gvwr of the nissan

can't be filling it up with 2 tons of your gold bars and coins
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
GVW is always the actual, real, loaded weight. It's how much you weigh after a big dinner.

GVWR is always the maximum allowable loaded weight in theory. It's how much you could weigh and still fit your current pants. It says nothing about the current actual weight.

I'm not an expert on dollys. And Stehl's Owner's Manual on their website makes no mention of the maximum weight vehicle that can be towed(!). They do say the hitch should be rated at least 5k, and the tire nets are rated 6k. It seems kinda marginal to me, but again I'm not an expert. Under the circumstances, I expect the GVWR of the dolly is for the maximum weight of the dolly + the weight of the portion of the towed vehicle that is supported by the dolly - the front axle, in other words.

It seems clear you could load up the Versa, so long as you stay under the Versa's GVWR, and you won't come close to 2999 on the dolly axles.

I know when we go, we intend to use our toad for extra storage.

Good luck!
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
Thank you all for the replies. You've been very helpful. So I will haul my Gold bars in the MH and haul my less important things in the toad!!!!!
Now if I could just get my Coach out of the garage, I'd be on my way. Five weeks now waiting on two cylinders from HWH Corp. for two of my jacks.
Pass Christian, MS Retired
2004 Itasca Sunrise, Full Timer
Rendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The dolly GVWR is the max weight of the dolly itself plus its load, but the load is only part of the weight of the car. The rest of the car's weight is on the rear wheels.

The total towed weight is the unladen weight of the dolly plus the weight of the car, including any gear you stowed in it. That combined weight needs to be less than the max tow rating of your coach.

As a practical matter, your dolly plus a Versa and any gear short of the aforementioned gold bars should be well under your 5000 lb tow limit.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

storage, tow, travel