Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #1

V-nose vs. Flat Front Behind Class A

Question for all you experience trailer towing members...

I am looking to purchase an enclosed trailer next spring and I'm in the planning stages right now... Clearly we have two choices... V-nose or flat...

I've been looking for information on pulling behind a Class A motorhome.. there are lots of post's about TT V-nose.. but I would like to hear from people who tow a trailer behind their motorhome, not a truck or SUV...

My initial thought is to go with a V-nose, as it would appear to be more aerodynamic.. but then I take into consideration we lose some space.. but then I think... with the trailer tucked so closely behind the large motorhome, would aerodynamics play a role?

Background: We are looking for a 7X12, 7X14, 8X12 or 8X14 tandem axle trailer. Primary use is to trailer our bike, with the option of trailering two bikes. Additionally, I plan to "outfit" the trailer with windows, RV door with window/screen door and an AC unit. I would like to create a "2nd bedroom" effect for any guest we may decide to bring with us.

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Those that tow trailers behind a pickup can't agree on the best design so expect the same discussion here.

FWIW, I tow a 7x14 flat, 8.5x24 v-nose, and a 8.5x28 flat stacker; sizes listed by box size not overall length. I can discern absolutely no difference in the frontal design while being towed behind the MH. However, friends with rear radiator MH's prefer the v-nose as it seems to "trap" less heat between the coach and the trailer.

I would recommend a 6' tongue to provide additional clearance during tight maneuvers and to make backing up easier. With a standard "short" tongue a v-nose can increase the clearance between the MH and trailer during tight turns.

Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #3

V nose for clearance.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 11-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #4

A couple of years ago I bought a 24 foot flat nose Haulmark car carrier. I had to have the tongue extended about a foot or more so that I could make corners. Without the tongue extension the trailer could/would hit the corner of the RV. I could pull that same trailer before the extension with my Ford pick up and the tongue length was not an issue. I sold the trailer because I was not comfortable with the overall length of the RV and trailer which was around 68 feet or more (I don't exactly remember). But if I were to buy another it would be the V nose for turning ability. Just my opinion.

Rereading your post the V with a front door on the V would look like a good idea for you.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Question for all you experience trailer towing members...

I am looking to purchase an enclosed trailer next spring and I'm in the planning stages right now... Clearly we have two choices... V-nose or flat...

I've been looking for information on pulling behind a Class A motorhome.. there are lots of post's about TT V-nose.. but I would like to hear from people who tow a trailer behind their motorhome, not a truck or SUV...

My initial thought is to go with a V-nose, as it would appear to be more aerodynamic.. but then I take into consideration we lose some space.. but then I think... with the trailer tucked so closely behind the large motorhome, would aerodynamics play a role?

Background: We are looking for a 7X12, 7X14, 8X12 or 8X14 tandem axle trailer. Primary use is to trailer our bike, with the option of trailering two bikes. Additionally, I plan to "outfit" the trailer with windows, RV door with window/screen door and an AC unit. I would like to create a "2nd bedroom" effect for any guest we may decide to bring with us.
oakcreekeric,
Well Sir, when I retired about 5 years ago, we decided on a retirement trip around some of the western U.S. States. We had a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the V-10. We wanted to bring our '02 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing with us. So, we shopped around and ended up with a 7 x 16, V-Nose, tandem axle, 4 wheel braked "Interstate" trailer. I set the bike up so the weight of the basic center of the bike, was just over the center between the two axles. I put two bicycles, standing up right, on each front wall of the V-nose. That worked flawless for that.

And, across the back, I carried a small, motorcycle trailer for those times that we might have wanted to venture out for more than a day or more, away from the coach and campsite.

In our shopping, we compared the V-nose to the flat nose for all aspects. The extra room in the V-nose, won out, every time. Now, you mentioned gas mileage differences between the two, there is none. I've towed a few different trailers with that Bounder and, there's absolutely "0" difference in gas mileage in those situations. I got 7 mpg no matter what I towed. But, if I had it to do over again, I'd go for the V-nose every time.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #6

Get which ever one you like best. You will not notice anything between flat and V behind a MH. Get a 5' tongue or be careful backing up where it is not flat.

Good Luck
Old 12-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
V vs flat will not have much difference when towing behind your rig. If you do pull the trailer with a truck some of the time the V nose will pull better with less resistance.

Regardless of your choice the extended tongue is a must and the V also gives you increase clearance in tight turns.

Our trailer is a 30' box with a 12.5' ceiling. I've pulled similar flat nose trailers behind my dually and its generally a white knuckle ride, but the V nose pulls like a dream.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree the mileage difference between the two trailer designs will not be discernible, there is some advantage to room but I haven't found that to be that big of difference to me.

I did find that I get a little better mileage with my taller 'v' nose trailer than I did with my shorter 'v' nose trailer, I think because when the air comes over the coach it has more opportunity to get down in front of the trailer with the larger drop but I am totally guessing.
The mileage difference isn't significant so I personally wouldn't have that affect my decision.

I like the 'v' nose personally more from aesthetics, but that is a personal thing.

On my 5' extended tongue, turning sharp wouldn't make any difference if it was a flat nose or 'v' nose, I would get into the corner of the trailer at less than a 90 degree turn, so that wouldn't be my determining decision either, but if you go with a 6' extended tongue then you are also extending the length of the trailer another 1'. I have never hit the corner of either of my trailers with 5' extended, but you can if you are not careful if you are backing too sharp. Good luck on your decisions!

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a