Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Vehicle Connector Questions

I think I have a pretty good handle on my tow bar, plate and brake issues. I will be using a Blue Ox tow bar, plate and Air Force One brake system.

Now, I need to get a bit more educated on the electrical side of things....

My coach has to connectors. One is a round 4 pin and the other is either a 6 or7 pin. I keep forgetting to look at the larger connector to verify which it is. Does anyone know what is standard for Newmar?

I think the extra 4 pin connector was used for a braking system by the previous owner. I am not sure of that.

So...

My question is whether the 6/7 pin connector normally provides 12 V so that I can use it to connect a TOAD-CHARGE to the vehicle connector and not run a separate wire system from the battery?

If anyone has a link to a "Dummy's Guide to TOAD Connections", I'm da man who needs it.

Your thoughts folks?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #2

The center pin on a 7 pin connector is normally used to provide power to toad ancillary equipment and trickle charge the toad battery.

It would likley have a 12ga wire to it and probably orange but not necessarily that color. Pin 1 should be ground. The ground connection should be at least the same ga as the largest power connection to the toad.

Best to use an isolator device on the toad for battery charge. There are several types you can get.

If you google 7 pin RV connector you will likely get a diagram you could verify on your coach.

Hope this helps
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Maybe this will help

Name:   7 pin plug.jpg
Views: 3154
Size:  11.2 KB
Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #4

Best to verify on your coach, other wiring diagrams show center conductor as a General Purpose power source. I noted the diagram posted does not reflect this configuration.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here is the source of some information that seems to make sense to me for the most part

Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

So that leaves me with a few basic questions:

1. Does the MH provide the power to the brake, tail and turn signal lights or does it merely control them while the toad battery powers them?

2. (Probably related to #1) Does the use of MH lights also turn on the rear tail lights for the toad or do they need to be turned on (park lights) in the toad?

3. Assuming that I run the TOAD CHARGE, would it be fair to assume I have no need to pull any fusses?

I think the "ideal" set up would be that the TOAD CHARGER will take care of all electrical needs. I won't have a Remco pump and with Air Force One I don't see any need to use any toad power for the braking system either. With that in mind I would think the TOAD CHARGER would be able to handle battery needs even if the toad supplies power to lights.

Thanks for your input so far!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Here is the source of some information that seems to make sense to me for the most part

Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

So that leaves me with a few basic questions:

1. Does the MH provide the power to the brake, tail and turn signal lights or does it merely control them while the toad battery powers them?

Ans: Power supplied by MH but if taping into Toad circuits must use isolation diodes

2. (Probably related to #1) Does the use of MH lights also turn on the rear tail lights for the toad or do they need to be turned on (park lights) in the toad

Ans: Power supplied by MH, again isolation diodes required if integrating existing lights. No need to put toad lights on but nothing preventing you from doing this with toad charger on but soooo easy to forget they were on and battery would be discharged when you stop. Best to use MH power IMHO.

3. Assuming that I run the TOAD CHARGE, would it be fair to assume I have no need to pull any fusses?

Ans: Correct assumption

I think the "ideal" set up would be that the TOAD CHARGER will take care of all electrical needs. I won't have a Remco pump and with Air Force One I don't see any need to use any toad power for the braking system either. With that in mind I would think the TOAD CHARGER would be able to handle battery needs even if the toad supplies power to lights.

Ans: I do not need a toad charger in my Smart.Car toad because of the way it is configured and nor do I use one in my Malibu toad but I have to disable a fuse connection because I must leave the key in accessory position to unlock steering and there is a current draim with that switch on. I put a switch in-line with the accessory fuse so I just turn it off rather than pulling fuse all the time and works great.

Since I use a 4 wire connection to the toad and would need to put a seperate 10 or 12 ga wire to put a toad charger circuit in so I did not do this on any of my RVs. I believe the flat 4 wire cable is 16ga (not certain it could be 14ga)

Use diodes for the Smart Car and I rigged the LP light also because it was so easy. There is space in the Malibu light assembly to put seperate bulb sockets so I put independent bulbs in. Did not connect the LP light on Malibu but some juristictions require LP to be lit on toad. Never heard of anyone being ticked for not having LP lit on toad.

Used Brake Master Air activated with my Malibu but also put Ready Brake Cable on it. (no longer have a class A with air brakes) Use ready Brake for Smart Car. When the toad brake is activated brake Lights are powered from 2 (isolated) sources, but the toad battery drain is so small for a short time I have never had a problem. If i did I would put a charger circuit on the toads..

Thanks for your input so far!
Hope this helps I rigged a light feedback system I can see in my camera's. It tells me the status of all lighting conditions on the Toad. It has high intensity LED s on the Toad dash that I can see even in bright sunlight. This saves me from running an extra cable to a dash mounted light for the brake indicator. I see all light activated circuits this way. (Don't know if bulb is bad but I know if power is applied.to.the circuit.)
Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #7

The AFO will apply your brakes and use the toad battery for power, the other lights should be connected by a isolation diode box ( Blue OX has them) that will use the coach power when towing.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
The AFO will apply your brakes and use the toad battery for power, the other lights should be connected by a isolation diode box ( Blue OX has them) that will use the coach power when towing.
THANKS...

I'm looking for Blue Ox to come out with a toad light system that is a plug in without having to wire in and use diodes. They expect to have that system for 1012-13 CRVs in the near future. I'd like to avoid connecting them myself with the diodes.

Blue Ox - EZ Light Wiring Harness

Now I have a new follow up to my MH. I have both a 7 and a 6 pin plug. The 7 pin looks stock and the 6 pin added. Why would there be 2 separate plugs? I'm certain there is a good reason but I can't figure out why.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK...Call me confused. LOL

As I have said, I have both a 7 & 6 pin connector at the back of the RV. Looking through RVUPGRADES.COM I find 7 to 6 pin coiled cables but no 7 to 7 pin versions. I am also wanting to keep my hook up as simple as possible so planning on using the same plug to power a TOAD CHARGER.

So, my confusion still lies in why both connectors on the RV? I'm thinking that based on "standard wire colors" (I know, trust through verification.) that the 6 pin connector might do everything I am wanting it to do.

Green - Right turn and brake
Yellow - Left turn and brake
White - Ground
Brown - Tail Lights
Blue - Unused? (Don't need the electric brake but it might be used as a break away with AFO but I'm not sure about that either)
Red - Battery/12V to connect to TOAD CHARGER.

The only thing the 7 pin includes is Purple for back up lights.

So, would it be fair to assume that the RV's 7 & 6 pin connectors are in parallel and therefore redundant except for the purple? Again, I guess I would have to get under the bus and do some verification but would it be more normal to find them redundant?