Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Versa Lift for scooter/motorcycle

Am looking to carry a 500lb scooter/motorcycle on the back of a capable DP. This Versa Lift 1500NR looks to be sufficient and is priced at 1/2 the Blue Ox sport lift lll and the cruiserlift .
Any experience with this product or company?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
Am looking to carry a 500lb scooter/motorcycle on the back of a capable DP. This Versa Lift 1500NR looks to be sufficient and is priced at 1/2 the Blue Ox sport lift lll and the cruiserlift .
Any experience with this product or company?
James,
Well Sir, there's a few things to consider before you jump into this venture. Some of which I'll mention, you may have already done your homework on. But, I'll take a chance you haven't and just mention them.
One, make sure your coach is actually ok, to add whatever kind of weight you'll be adding back there. And that means get your GVWR, GAWR (REAR) AND, GAWR (FRONT).

Then, load the coach in such a manor that it's the same as you'd load it while on a trip. Then, go get it weighed. Don't go crazy with the "side to side or, four corner thing) Just do the front, back and total. Then, take that rear weight and, subtract it from the GAWR rear and, see what you've got left. Sometimes, Diesel coaches are closer to the max rear weight when loaded with all the traveling junk, than you'd think. So, an ACTUAL WEIGHT is warranted.

Now, you're armed with good info to begin your venture. Assuming you have plenty of extra weight carrying capability, the most important point about what you want to do is, do it safely. That is, you say you're going to haul a "500" lb. bike (scooter) back there. Well, 500 lbs. is not all that light of a scooter. Many street motorcycles tip the scales at that weight.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not lecturing you on procedure. I'm just trying to convey a bunch of experience on toting a few motorcycles on various kinds of lifts and, issues with the process. Static weight is just that, sitting weight with no bounce. But, in your case, as well as any other one that carries "cantelilevered" weight BEHIND the rear of a coach, you will have bounce. And that means, your 500 lb. "scooter" will, at times, exceed that weight by much more, momentarily.

So, what all this means is, don't buy your lift/carrier based on price. Buy it based on how well it's built and, will withstand any tormentation of the stress of that scooter/bike back there stressing on it, while motoring down our "less than perfect" American roads out there. Let's face it, many of Americas roads out there are less than desirable and, can put a coaches suspension to some rigorous tests and that means, it will also test your lift/carrier on the back of your coach.

I've seen many-a-lift/carriers, at many camp grounds, cracked or broken due to inefficient fabrication or, poorly mounted and, carrying too much weight based on their setups. I don't think you'd like that. What you want is simple. You want a trouble free experience with carrying your scooter, consistently, day in and day out.

I've carried smaller bikes, as in TW 200 Yamahas on a three point, sideways, ramp-up carrier, all the way up to what we carry now, a Honda GL 1800 Goldwing, (900 lbs.) on a Hydralift, on the back of our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT. So, needless to say, I've got some time carrying bikes on coaches. But, do take your time, research which ones will be strong enough, and have a good mounting system, will carry the bike well with good support and equally important, have multiple tie-down points.

And, one more thing, you want it to be SAFE in loading and unloading it. So, please keep all that in mind so you can have a good time, when you arrive at your many destinations with intention of utilizing your scooter. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Everything FireUp has said is good advice.
As long as your coach can handle the weight, the only thing I will add is that the single point attachment of the Versa Haulers, vs. the Hydralifts/Cruiserlifts is the biggest downside to your plan. Its fine if you're carrying a 200-400 lb bike/scooter, but once you get up to 500lbs or greater, you just don't have the rigidity and stability needed over the long run. Short trips are fine, but if you're planning on doing this for years to come, and long trips, I think you will be worried about the stability.
I've carried my Honda Elite and my wifes Ducati Monster on my Versa Haul 600 (rated for 600 lbs carrying capacity) but they are both below 400 lbs. I can't tell if the mounting of the 1500NR is a single point or 3 point, but if its only a single point, I would probably say you would be sorry if you are indeed carrying 500 lbs or more.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have had one for four years. Carried my KLR600 20000 miles on it while pulling the car. 10000 of that was with a class c Tioga and a 5000 lb hitch. No problems.

Tags
scooter