Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Not really I would not want a auto dealer doing one - surprised they even quoted - I will go with the professional even it costs more
Really? Anyone with reasonable mechanical skills can install a Blue Ox baseplate. The most difficult part of doing one on a CRV is R/R of the plastic front (I did my own 2012 CRV). The dealer's body shop or most any auto body shop who would do the job would be a lot better than any Camping World, IMO. Based on my experience with CW, I would not let them change a spark plug in my lawn mower.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Update From First Post:

Yes we are very happy with the install done by our local Ford Dealer. "And Now The Rest Of The Store." Not only did we get the Blue Ox Base plate installed but we also got a class 11 Curt Receiver Hitch put on the 2011 Ford Edge to carry our bikes. All of this was completed at a cost of $832.00. The 2 bids we got from CW was just for installing the BLUE OX BASE PLATE! ($1000 / $1700). Ford did a great job!

Happy Camping Ya'll

niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
Yes we are very happy with the install done by our local Ford Dealer. "And Now The Rest Of The Store." Not only did we get the Blue Ox Base plate installed but we also got a class 11 Curt Receiver Hitch put on the 2011 Ford Edge to carry our bikes. All of this was completed at a cost of $832.00. The 2 bids we got from CW was just for installing the BLUE OX BASE PLATE! ($1000 / $1700). Ford did a great job!

Happy Camping Ya'll
I buy stuff at CW, usually with coupons and on sale, but they don't wave a wrench at my rig!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great decision having the Ford dealer do your install. Everything from the headlights down and back to the radiator has to be removed on the Edge and some minor cutting to the grille to get a nice install. This is one worth paying for and CW would not be on my short list for any kind of work.
Skilletface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Not really I would not want a auto dealer doing one - surprised they even quoted - I will go with the professional even it costs more
The auto dealers are the professionals. Who do you think will be more knowledgeable about your vehicle, Camping World, who may or may not have worked on one before, or the dealer tech, who is taking them apart all day every day?

The amount of half assed install work I've seen from aftermarket shops like Camping World, U-Haul, Best Buy, etc. would make your head spin. What would you prefer, a dealer tech who knows exactly how to quickly and efficiently remove the front and rear bumper covers on your vehicle, or your taillights (and the surrounding trim) to be able to install a proper harness that installs directly into your factory harness, or someone who drills a hole in the vehicle and splices into your wires with scotch locks?

Aftermarket installers often don't know the proper places to tap into power, signal, etc so they will just run some random wires under the car. Most new vehicles will have a control module in the rear of the car for lights, rear hatch, etc. There usually will be a place to plug a hitch harness into it, as well as a dedicated relay and fuse. Aftermarket shops won't take the time to figure out where that is, or to order the required harness kits.

Bumpers will often have templates stamped on the inside for hitch cut outs. You have to completely remove the bumper to access it. Many installers will just hack away at the bumper till the hitch fits, leaving too large a hole; or order a hitch that hangs lower. I've even seen a vehicle come in where they rolled the bottom of the bumper up onto the hitch. Ugh.

Dealerships often tend to be held to a higher quality standard too. But hey, take it to the "real pros", and pay more money for substandard work. Guys like me enjoy getting paid to fix the things those shops screw up.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
I treat Camping World like an STD and run the other way as fast as we can with our hands on our money.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:42 AM   #21

I understand where you are coming from. A few years ago we wanted a 2" receiver hitch installed onto our CRV. Called Honda $1200. Crazy!!!! Looked the hitch up online, $100, talked to my mechanic, found out it was just bolt on, not a weld on. $100 to install. $200 vs. $1200. I have no idea where Honda was coming from.

We had the same thing on a MH repair(minor). DH took out a piece of trim on a post. One place we stopped at wanted $1300 for the trim and to paint it to match. We bought the piece of trim ourselves for about $200($$ for shipping), found another place that would do it for $150 and they came to our site to pick up the trim and then to install it again. OK. They cheated a little, the trim was gray, black and blue(small amount). The black and gray was painted and there is a decal for the blue that one would never notice was not painted.

You just need to be patient and do a lot of phone calling to get a fair price and not be ripped off.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be careful with doing it at a dealer. I bought my Focus at the local Ford dealer. After getting a quote from Lazy Days for over 800 to install just the base plate (no wiring no brake system) I went to my Ford dealer. They gave me a price and I said ok.
I brought it in and said I was waiting for it as it should take about 3 hours.
After waiting 3.5 hours I got a call from the dealer asking me a question:
"Does this thing go on the front or the back?"
I told them never mind and got the heck outta there.
Went to Home Depot got the drill bits I needed and did it myself. I know it is done right now.
YMMV with a Ford dealer (and I truly love my dealer and been using them for years but this is not their expertise)
Old 05-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
Great decision having the Ford dealer do your install. Everything from the headlights down and back to the radiator has to be removed on the Edge and some minor cutting to the grille to get a nice install. This is one worth paying for and CW would not be on my short list for any kind of work.

Dang, my Ford dealer refused to install the base plate on my 2012 Focus. Didn't want the responsibility.

Rod
2012 Allegro 36LA
Old 05-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #24

Blu Dog RV.....
Old 05-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I understand where you are coming from. A few years ago we wanted a 2" receiver hitch installed onto our CRV. Called Honda $1200. Crazy!!!! Looked the hitch up online, $100, talked to my mechanic, found out it was just bolt on, not a weld on. $100 to install. $200 vs. $1200. I have no idea where Honda was coming from.
They were quoting you for the hitch, receiver w/ball, wiring harness, transmission cooler, and power steering cooler. That's called their "tow package".

If you are just pulling a yard trailer or other small load, just the receiver hitch is fine but Honda doesn't like putting those on bare. Been too many lawsuits when somebody decides to pull a TT over the smoky mountains and fry their transmissions.

U-Haul will put a hitch on for a couple hundred bucks but they (U-Haul) screwed up my brother's wiring system in his Pilot and voided Honda's warranty. btw, I'm retired from a Honda dealership.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting read. We are just finalizing our decision to tow our Suburban. Good to know we can try taking it to a Chevy dealer or just have handy-hubby do it!
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:46 AM   #27

When Honda told me $1200 I asked if this quote was just for the receiver install and they said yes. I guess they didn't want to do it and didn't want to say no.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:57 AM   #28

Quote:

I would install myself. I've installed three Demco baseplates, two on Honda's, and one on a GMC Canyon. No muss, no fuss, great directions, and each took less than an hour for the baseplate. A little more time for the brakebuddy wiring, and special turn signal lighting I installed, but basically pretty straight forward.

If you cannot install yourself, I I totally agree with going with a professional. That's exactly why I would NOT go with Camping World!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping