Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Volkswagen Eos on Acme Tow Dolly?

Is anyone here using an Acme Tow Dolly to carry a Volkswagen Eos?

I towed a Saab convertible to Yuma and back this past winter with no problems other than I thought the basket straps were on the large side. (after tightening up a couple of times the cross straps were nearly in the ratchets - I think this is solved with the new basket strap offering)

I thought I needed a more 'mainstream' vehcile as Saab parts/repairs could be a problem in West Tree Stump so I opted for a Volks.

I have not tried it yet on my Acme so I am wondering if anyone is 'dollying' an Eos and would like to know if there are any clearane issues.

I am pretty sure I will have to move the ratchets to line up with the Volks wheels as it is a little bigger than the Saab.
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #2

Hello seb1899. I just purchased a 2008 EOS to tow on my acme tow dolly and was going thru these posts to see if there were any pointers I could use and ran across yours. How has your experiences with the acme and EOS been since you started? Any advice?

Thanks!
cowbilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have encountered no issues regarding clearance but it is a 'challenge' to load as there is no lateral 'forgiveness' regarding the ratchet/winches so if you are off center on the basket straps it is down the ramps and try again.

Perhaps it is caused by DW's directions but loading it is troublesome for us. The older Acmes used to allow the winches to slide in order to get centered on the tires like a Master Tow but they are stationary now.

I did get a key cut that will not start the car but allows the steering to stay unlocked (it was expensive but not as expensive as the programmed key) as I did not want anyone to be able to drive it away if we left it unattended and on the dolly.

I changed the safety chain arrangement because the safety chains would bounce out of the banjos on a rough road. I ran a length of chain across the dolly through the banjos and connected the safety chains via a removeable link,

It is a fun car to drive but do make sure you keep the roof seals conditioned with Krytox as leaks on this vehicle could cause catastrophic problems
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We love our Eos and were so excited to get it ready for the first trip out with it. We have a Kar Kaddy SS, unfortunately the Eos cannot be loaded without (fear of) much damage. We had our auto person look at it to figure out a way.....no go.

So we bought a ready to tow Jeep Wrangler with tow bar and tow it 4 down. We love the Eos but it will stay home in the garage.

Anyone want to buy a Kar Kaddy?
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly