Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

VW Jetta

Anybody out there tow a late model 5 speed Jetta? It's not listed in any guides but I don't see why it wouldn't make a good toad.

Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #2

Yep, a 2002 Jetta TDI 5 Speed manual, no problems. It's a No-No with the autos. Mine is the MK-IV platform, 99.5 through 2005 Jetta's, Beatles, & Golf all share the same basic platform.

JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #3

VW says no for late model manual transmissions. I asked them specifically this question as I wanted a TDI Sportswagon.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
VW says no for late model manual transmissions. I asked them specifically this question as I wanted a TDI Sportswagon.
Would that be post 2005 VW manual transmissions?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #5

John Q,

Am I correct in assuming you have towed your '02 TDI? What system do you have? We have an '01 TDI manual and doubt we would even know it was back there. Thanks.
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman 1 View Post
John Q,

Am I correct in assuming you have towed your '02 TDI? What system do you have? We have an '01 TDI manual and doubt we would even know it was back there. Thanks.
Yep, we tow it everywhere. When we first started Toad'ing, my better half was very worried cause like you said, " . . . we wouldn't even know it was back there." She would insist that I turn the TV/back up camera on to check on it. By the way, that led to a new 12v only backup camera system, search the site here for that handy dandy and very reasonable system. As for our tow system, the tow bar is a Roadmaster Sterling, the base brackets are also Roadmaster, and the supplemental brake system is a Roadmaster Even Brake. A word of "Installation Caution" is in order regarding the tow brackets onto the Jetta. Roadmaster's website says it is a 4 hour job. The guy I had do the install, Todd in East Portland (very experienced with all Roadmaster product lines) required 6 hours. That front bumper (a real pain in the cahzoot) has to come off, and the lower air vents/scoops have to be "Cut" a lot, then the bracket can be installed. You really have to look close to see the base brackets when not in tow configuration. I do have plans to either get another Toad (in addition to the Jetta) that is a backcountry 4x4 and will stick to the Roadmaster stuff. Probably an Old style Bronco II, or a Ford Ranger Super cab (dog has to have a comfy seat all to her Royal self). We are rockhounds and that takes us into the "Pucker Bushes."