Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #29

My Tracker doesn't shake, rattle or roll. Oh wait...I tow it on a dolly

(sometimes a trailer)

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #30

Ok I have 2001 tracker my daily driver going to either tow flat or dolly if on dolly do you pull correctly front on dolly with transfer case in neutral just like flat towing just lock steering on dolly?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Not sure about Trackers but I have read that Jeep Wrangler 4WDs do not like being towed with 2 wheels on a dolly. It would makes sense that the transfer case set up would be somewhat similar.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargee View Post
Ok I have 2001 tracker my daily driver going to either tow flat or dolly if on dolly do you pull correctly front on dolly with transfer case in neutral just like flat towing just lock steering on dolly?
T case in N, trans in 2nd or park according to the FIRST GEN manual. I use an ACME so steering must be unlocked.

I disconnect the DS, have a setup that secures the end of the shaft. 4 bolts, a couple minutes. Use the patio rug to lay on.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
One clarification, our Tracker is not a 4WD, just a 5 speed manual 2WD. So far we have towed it about 10,000 miles and no unusual tire wear. Actually other than the few times we had the shake there have been no problems. Knocking on wood now. 112,000 on the odometer but being an old fashion cable speedometer it racks up mile while being towed so no telling how many it really has while running.
Mine's pretty much the same ... 2WD, 5 spd manual tranny, ragtop, no power steering, 125000 miles.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
There are aftermarket steering stabilizers. I have the Calmini 2 1/2" lift kit in my '96 4wd 2 dr. It is well made stuff. I have the front stabilizer but it's laying in my shed, never bothered to install it. I might some day. With 112,000 miles on these Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekicks they are just starting to get broken in. I have seen them with well over 200,000 miles with nothing much done to them. Too bad they still don't make them.
Calmini - Suzuki Sidekick/Tracker
Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #35

nice to see this thread even know its bad to have to have it happen. I was looking for a sidekick or a tracker, besides most of them are rusted out (around here) they are good little cars. I was shopping for one.couldnt find one. but i did find a 94 eagle summit..its a mini, mini van.and automatic.(wifes car) but dont have the go-threw power of a tracker..they make such good mudding vehicals..
Id like to see a picture if you got one of the front hitch on your geo if you got one.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
There are aftermarket steering stabilizers. I have the Calmini 2 1/2" lift kit in my '96 4wd 2 dr. It is well made stuff. I have the front stabilizer but it's laying in my shed, never bothered to install it. I might some day. With 112,000 miles on these Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekicks they are just starting to get broken in. I have seen them with well over 200,000 miles with nothing much done to them. Too bad they still don't make them.
Calmini - Suzuki Sidekick/Tracker
Yup .... almost bought the Stabilizer/Brace. Problem was I couldn't find one to examine to see if it would fit around the tow bar bracket assembly. It appears it will not fit with a tow bar. Looks like it bolts in the same place. I.E., they appear to be mutually exclusive. Emailed Calmini but they never responded ... scratched it as a possible solution. And, it's 2 1/2 times the price of the one I used. I'm sure it's a quality item but if the manufacturer isn't interested in providing info I wasn't taking a chance on fit.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZy507 View Post
nice to see this thread even know its bad to have to have it happen. I was looking for a sidekick or a tracker, besides most of them are rusted out (around here) they are good little cars. I was shopping for one.couldnt find one. but i did find a 94 eagle summit..its a mini, mini van.and automatic.(wifes car) but dont have the go-threw power of a tracker..they make such good mudding vehicals..
Id like to see a picture if you got one of the front hitch on your geo if you got one.
Sure ... I'll shoot some pics tomorrow. Tow bar is a Roadmaster Stowmaster. Today I'm doin' the trim for the oak floor in the Endeavor slide-out.

This is a side view all hooked up ... that's me looking confident ... 15 minutes later it did the "shake" ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2192794.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	34594  
Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Yup .... almost bought the Stabilizer/Brace. Problem was I couldn't find one to examine to see if it would fit around the tow bar bracket assembly. It appears it will not fit with a tow bar. Looks like it bolts in the same place. I.E., they appear to be mutually exclusive. Emailed Calmini but they never responded ... scratched it as a possible solution. And, it's 2 1/2 times the price of the one I used. I'm sure it's a quality item but if the manufacturer isn't interested in providing info I wasn't taking a chance on fit.
Good point. The crossmember spans between the two front "A" arm bolts so depending on the tow brackets it may interfere. Probably tow brackets are out of their expertise but at least they should respond and say they don't know. I sent them an email the other day regarding shock absorbers and they responded within a couple of hours. They are probably more comfortable with the rock crawler crowd.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you ever need parts, try Tracker Ranch in Livingston, TX. The owner knows Trackers

They are fun little cars to drive and get around in and towing is a breeze!

Welcome
Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #40

got a picture of how its hooked up in the front of the tracker? oh and by the way..Looks good on you!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #41

WHITE TRACKER 4x4 MUDDING - MUD BOGGING - YouTube for the man
YALL READY FOR THIS?!? - YouTube incase the wife wants to play...
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZy507 View Post
Lately, here in Florida, that's just considered to be preparing for a sinkhole ...