Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
DonDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Spring Valley AZ
Posts: 1,204
My Tracker doesn't shake, rattle or roll. Oh wait...I tow it on a dolly

(sometimes a trailer)
__________________

__________________
Don, Mary and Spooky
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #30
Member
 
Sargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 88
Ok I have 2001 tracker my daily driver going to either tow flat or dolly if on dolly do you pull correctly front on dolly with transfer case in neutral just like flat towing just lock steering on dolly?
__________________

__________________
Sargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
HD4Mark's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Marathon, Florida
Posts: 2,894
Not sure about Trackers but I have read that Jeep Wrangler 4WDs do not like being towed with 2 wheels on a dolly. It would makes sense that the transfer case set up would be somewhat similar.
__________________
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
DonDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Spring Valley AZ
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargee View Post
Ok I have 2001 tracker my daily driver going to either tow flat or dolly if on dolly do you pull correctly front on dolly with transfer case in neutral just like flat towing just lock steering on dolly?
T case in N, trans in 2nd or park according to the FIRST GEN manual. I use an ACME so steering must be unlocked.

I disconnect the DS, have a setup that secures the end of the shaft. 4 bolts, a couple minutes. Use the patio rug to lay on.
__________________
Don, Mary and Spooky
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
One clarification, our Tracker is not a 4WD, just a 5 speed manual 2WD. So far we have towed it about 10,000 miles and no unusual tire wear. Actually other than the few times we had the shake there have been no problems. Knocking on wood now. 112,000 on the odometer but being an old fashion cable speedometer it racks up mile while being towed so no telling how many it really has while running.
Mine's pretty much the same ... 2WD, 5 spd manual tranny, ragtop, no power steering, 125000 miles.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 367
There are aftermarket steering stabilizers. I have the Calmini 2 1/2" lift kit in my '96 4wd 2 dr. It is well made stuff. I have the front stabilizer but it's laying in my shed, never bothered to install it. I might some day. With 112,000 miles on these Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekicks they are just starting to get broken in. I have seen them with well over 200,000 miles with nothing much done to them. Too bad they still don't make them.
Calmini - Suzuki Sidekick/Tracker
__________________
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New ulm,Mn
Posts: 216
nice to see this thread even know its bad to have to have it happen. I was looking for a sidekick or a tracker, besides most of them are rusted out (around here) they are good little cars. I was shopping for one.couldnt find one. but i did find a 94 eagle summit..its a mini, mini van.and automatic.(wifes car) but dont have the go-threw power of a tracker..they make such good mudding vehicals..
Id like to see a picture if you got one of the front hitch on your geo if you got one.
__________________
LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
There are aftermarket steering stabilizers. I have the Calmini 2 1/2" lift kit in my '96 4wd 2 dr. It is well made stuff. I have the front stabilizer but it's laying in my shed, never bothered to install it. I might some day. With 112,000 miles on these Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekicks they are just starting to get broken in. I have seen them with well over 200,000 miles with nothing much done to them. Too bad they still don't make them.
Calmini - Suzuki Sidekick/Tracker
Yup .... almost bought the Stabilizer/Brace. Problem was I couldn't find one to examine to see if it would fit around the tow bar bracket assembly. It appears it will not fit with a tow bar. Looks like it bolts in the same place. I.E., they appear to be mutually exclusive. Emailed Calmini but they never responded ... scratched it as a possible solution. And, it's 2 1/2 times the price of the one I used. I'm sure it's a quality item but if the manufacturer isn't interested in providing info I wasn't taking a chance on fit.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZy507 View Post
nice to see this thread even know its bad to have to have it happen. I was looking for a sidekick or a tracker, besides most of them are rusted out (around here) they are good little cars. I was shopping for one.couldnt find one. but i did find a 94 eagle summit..its a mini, mini van.and automatic.(wifes car) but dont have the go-threw power of a tracker..they make such good mudding vehicals..
Id like to see a picture if you got one of the front hitch on your geo if you got one.
Sure ... I'll shoot some pics tomorrow. Tow bar is a Roadmaster Stowmaster. Today I'm doin' the trim for the oak floor in the Endeavor slide-out.

This is a side view all hooked up ... that's me looking confident ... 15 minutes later it did the "shake" ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2192794.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	34594  
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Yup .... almost bought the Stabilizer/Brace. Problem was I couldn't find one to examine to see if it would fit around the tow bar bracket assembly. It appears it will not fit with a tow bar. Looks like it bolts in the same place. I.E., they appear to be mutually exclusive. Emailed Calmini but they never responded ... scratched it as a possible solution. And, it's 2 1/2 times the price of the one I used. I'm sure it's a quality item but if the manufacturer isn't interested in providing info I wasn't taking a chance on fit.
Good point. The crossmember spans between the two front "A" arm bolts so depending on the tow brackets it may interfere. Probably tow brackets are out of their expertise but at least they should respond and say they don't know. I sent them an email the other day regarding shock absorbers and they responded within a couple of hours. They are probably more comfortable with the rock crawler crowd.
__________________
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #39
Member
 
Road King's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 55
If you ever need parts, try Tracker Ranch in Livingston, TX. The owner knows Trackers

They are fun little cars to drive and get around in and towing is a breeze!


Welcome
__________________
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40' DST
1996 Geo Tracker 4X4 Toad
Road King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New ulm,Mn
Posts: 216
got a picture of how its hooked up in the front of the tracker? oh and by the way..Looks good on you!
__________________
LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New ulm,Mn
Posts: 216
WHITE TRACKER 4x4 MUDDING - MUD BOGGING - YouTube for the man
YALL READY FOR THIS?!? - YouTube incase the wife wants to play...
__________________
LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZy507 View Post
Lately, here in Florida, that's just considered to be preparing for a sinkhole ...
__________________

__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.