RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #1

Wallowing Steering?

I am new to towing another vehicle with my Motorhome which is a older diesel pusher that has low miles and excellent condition. But I find that the steering tends to ďwallowĒ about just a little. Itís much the same as my VW vanagon in a crosswind. So is this normal? Nothing appears to be worn on the front end including all the steering components. I would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 12:05 AM   #2

That should not be normal.
You might want to expand on the specifics of the coach and what you are towing.. 4 wheels down, or. Does it just wallow when towing and is fine otherwise... if so, please tell us whats being towed and how you are towing it. Is there a tongue weight issue?

Tire pressure correct?
Alignment been checked?
Overweight on one side or corner?
Make sure you haven't stacked all your books in the over head cabinets. (Heavy stuff should stay low, preferably in the basement. (my DW loves to stack her books up there..

Those are a few things I could come up with as you didn't give us much in the way of what you're driving to go on.

-Bill

Old 03-11-2018, 01:14 AM   #3

Bill, Iím driving a 93 diesel Fleetwood Bounder and towing a 95 Jeep Wrangler. Alignment has been checked and tire pressures are spot on. As I wrote previously all the front end is in great condition. The question is is this a common problem?
Barry
Old 03-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Bazzer"......Your Jeep is within the weight limits of what your coach will tow, but is a little heavy. Often a heavy vehicle will wag the tail of the dog a little, making the front end a little light and require more steering. You may also feel some rear end push in slow speed turns.

When I owned my 36' Monaco Diplomat, towing a Chevrolet Silverado, the coach's driving habits changed from towing to not towing. It just wasn't as stable while towing. It wasn't a huge issue or dangerous, just noticeable.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #5

Don, after driving the rig for four hundred miles I totally agree with you. My Blue ox tow bars bolts are a little loose and Iím going to tighten them. Iím also going to put a anti rattle devise on the hitch as well since that has more play than I would like when itís fitted into the receiver.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Bazzer".....I found the Roadmaster anti rattle seems to work the best.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:11 AM   #7

Is the Jeep stock? Jeeps with lifts and large tires can have issues with caster and wheel offset resulting in increased rut tracking.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Is the Jeep stock? Jeeps with lifts and large tires can have issues with caster and wheel offset resulting in increased rut tracking.

I recently purchased the Jeep. Itís a 95 thatís is stock as far as I can tell but has 31 in tires. The ride is too firm off-road so I would like to soften it up sometime
Old 03-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #9

What exactly do you mean by wallow about ?
Are you sure it's the jeep and not the coach?
Coach - do you have panhard bars and are the bushings worn out.
Jeep- notorious for death wobble- usually incorrect caster setting, or play in steering box or tie rods, ball joints.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #10

Larger tires in a jeep require a different caster setting than factory spec by the way. So if you had alignment checked by normal place versus a 4x4 shop then I bet you don't have enough caster set in.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #11

When you drive jeep does it tend to dart side to side with little steering wheel input ? And does steering return to center if you initiate a slight turn and let go of steering wheel
Old 03-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #12

Wallowing Steering?

Wallowing can only be described as a similar driving experience to a small vehicle towing a large trailer at speed. But in my motorhome case itís only very slight and to be honest not much to worry about. With a pusher type coach I would expect a crosswind to move the coach around more than a front engine vehicle donít you think?
As far as I can see in the rear view camera the Jeep is not moving at all neither is the coach but itís just feedback through the steering.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #13

So your feeling side to side pull on coach steering wheel ? I'd be checking your panhard bar and sway bar bushings.
I'm thinking you should at least have a front panhard bar from factory. Possibly also a rear but maybe not.
My coach doesn't sway at all with toad, only movement I feel is the push and pull when semi's pass me
Old 03-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #14

Wind will move me also but only on tall bridges or hwy fly overs

Tags
steering