Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #1

Want to get a Jeep or other easily towable vehicle.

What does it need to be towed. Transmission ( manual or automatic 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive ) etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #2

I'm not an expert, but I believe that most of the jeeps that are towable are the 4 wheel drive variety with a specific transmission. A jeeps owners manual should say which one is towable. There are a bunch of threads you can search on this site, that's how we educated ourselves before we went shopping. And we called our favorite rv repair shop to confirm

Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #3

Sorry...went wonky. Since we will not be installing anything ourselves (no time, wrong tools and NO expertise) well gladly pay the pros. We have a 4 door wrangler, and we will have to have a baseplate installed, purchase the tow bar piece and have auxiliary braking installed. Do some searching on the site and you will leaarn a lot.
Ps....I love my jeep
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
paz

A 4WD vehicle like a Jeep has a transfer case with a neutral that allows the vehicle to be towed 4-down. There may be other instructions in the owners manual to pull fuses, etc. to keep the battery from running down.

There are also many other vehicles with AWD and FWD that can be towed 4-down with no modification. We tow a Chevy Equinox.

A good place to look for a list of vehicles that can be towed 4-down is Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide. Information on towing can also be found at Remco Towing. Select the vehicle, engine and transmission you're interested in from the menus at the left of the page, and they will tell you whether or not the vehicle is towable 4-down and what the restrictions there are, if any.

Some vehicles that are not towable 4-down can be fitted with either a drive shaft disconnect or a transmission lube pump to enable them to be towed. That info will also be available on the Remco website.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And what ever you tow, be sure and have dinghy brakes and a break away system installed.

Ken
Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
ALL JEEPS ARE NOT TOWABLE. Most are; but some are 2 wheel drive and some are all wheel drive. You need four wheel drive with a transfer case that has a neutral position. Then you have a great toad!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #7

The Jeep Wrangler in the 4 wheel drive version is towable 4 down. It makes no difference if it has a standard or automatic transmission. This vehicle can be towed 4 down or on a trailer only. It can't be towed with the front wheels on a dolly. There are several other Jeep models that can be towed 4 down, but they need a specific engine/transmission combination.

It's best to contact a Jeep dealer to see which models can be towed. Don't rely on the salesman's knowledge. Ask to see the specification book. The dealer has one for each brand and model vehicle they sell. There should be a section labeled "Recreational Towing". This section will detail whether a particular vehicle can be towed 4 down, and what standard or optional equipment is needed to do so.

When we were looking for a vehicle to be towed behind our motorhome we contacted several Ford and Lincoln dealers. We were considering an MKZ because the sales person told us they were towable 4 down. We asked to see the specifications book to verify the claim. It was fortunate we did because the book specifically stated it could not be towed.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
General rule of thumb, if it has a transfer case that you can shift into neutral it can be towed four down, be it an automatic or a stick.

As far as I know, all Wranglers have just such a transfer case. Not all Jeeps do, however. Other models could have a "no neutral" case, or a case with a neutral position, you have to be careful to confirm which it is.

No two wheel drive Jeep is towable four down without modifications to the driveshaft (a release mechanism can be installed) or it's removal. While these are an overall small percentage of the Jeeps out there, they do exist, even in the Wrangler family.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
A 4WD vehicle like a Jeep has a transfer case with a neutral that allows the vehicle to be towed 4-down. There may be other instructions in the owners manual to pull fuses, etc. to keep the battery from running down.

There are also many other vehicles with AWD and FWD that can be towed 4-down with no modification. We tow a Chevy Equinox.

A good place to look for a list of vehicles that can be towed 4-down is Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide. Information on towing can also be found at Remco Towing. Select the vehicle, engine and transmission you're interested in from the menus at the left of the page, and they will tell you whether or not the vehicle is towable 4-down and what the restrictions there are, if any.

Some vehicles that are not towable 4-down can be fitted with either a drive shaft disconnect or a transmission lube pump to enable them to be towed. That info will also be available on the Remco website.
Consequently, on the dinghy towing guides, they would like to charge your for previous years, but I found that if I just google the name, some rv center or another has the original posted.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
OH also, I JUST went through what you are going through, and it's horribly confusing! I had the extra condition that I need at least as much cubic feet of storage as my full size range rover, which is about 68 cubic feet.

I ended up buying a 2010 Subaru outback with a manual transmission and 34k miles, and I LOVE IT!!

If you are looking for true, no bs 4x4, then certainly the wrangler is one of the best options, and if it were me, i'd buy one with a manual transmission and the manual transfer case. Zero fuss with this.

But just so you know, any subaru forester or outback with a manual tranny, you just hook and go, and they are excellent all around awd cars. I understand now why everyone is so crazy about them.

In previous year models, the outbacks are all the same size, but the forester got a big boost in size in 2014, and at 22k brand new for the forester, and 24k for the outback brand new, a bargain. (and i saved 10k by buying used, but the car looks and feels brand new!)

JEEPS FOR SALE! Buy Jeeps For Sale at Jeeps For Sale. Used and New Jeeps for sale!

and

Select Jeeps Inc - Jeep Wranglers in League City, Texas

i found where two big jeep online sales places.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 12-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #11

Auto transmissions on almost all Jeep products have transfer case that can shift into neutral very quickly and tow 4 wheel down. Make sure you have a breakaway hooked up and use a braking system on the Toad. I use Brake Buddy and love it.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
i'd be hot on the trail of something like this. inexpensive, but this cj is serious in the 4x4 dept.

1985 Jeep CJ 4WD CJ7 - Inventory - Select Jeeps Inc - Jeep Wranglers in League City, Texas

There is just no way I could stomach paying 28k for a lightly used, newer wrangler. I think it's way too much money for a not as great as it could be vehicle. But I would pay 12k for a CJ! But this would be simply a "utility" vehicle, it's not a grocery getter for sure. I would use it for towing and going.

I'm seeing 2011 models close to 26 - 28k and 2005's in the 16k range EEK! 16 grand is just too much for a 2005 wrangler IMHO, they just aren't THAT great.

NOW, this is interesting
2005 Jeep Wrangler 2dr X - Inventory - Select Jeeps Inc - Jeep Wranglers in League City, Texas

But still, it has 113k miles on it and costs 12.5k??? And that's why I went with the subie... 34k miles, 2010, and I paid 16k for the car, and it's mint! a/c works, heat works, easy to drive, and rugged. PLUS it makes a very good grocery getter back at home base. My wife can drive it, and it's nice inside, well thought out.

A jeep of the same condition is easily 28k to 30k, so unless I needed the serious off roading (which to be honest, I REALLY wanted).... but when It came down to it, I figured if I were to off road, it would be very limited, and the extra dough just ended up not being worth it to me. The subie will handle some limited mud and water fairly well.. I'm not going to be rock climbing period soo....
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 12-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OswegoLion View Post
What does it need to be towed. Transmission ( manual or automatic 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive ) etc.
I'd find one that says in the manual it can be towed four down. All these companies telling us nearly everything can be towed four down are in the business of selling us stuff that they say will make it safe. Before spending lots of money and tearing up your transmission, check the manual.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #14

Gm 4x4 trucks are great tow vehicles easy to set upand quicker to get ready to toe then my Jeep Wrangler was