Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #1

Want to tow a 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe Automatic 4x4 manual transfer case shifter.

My Owners manual does not address flat towing as a toad ....only towing a trailer. Any help out there as to procedure to tow? Key position, Automatic selector position , any fuses to pull?
Base plates are available, so I assume it can be towed?
Any help is appreciated.

747guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #2

I have a 1999 and a 2004 and tow them both. Your Tahoe manual should have the instructions because between the too of them I have it is different so I would defer to the manuals.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Look in the manual under recreational towing. Just because a plate fits a model doesn't mean it can be flat towed without mods.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747guy View Post
My Owners manual does not address flat towing as a toad ....only towing a trailer. Any help out there as to procedure to tow? Key position, Automatic selector position , any fuses to pull?
Base plates are available, so I assume it can be towed?
Any help is appreciated.
As has been said, check owners manual for a section called recreational towing. Later Chevy manuals usually have this info in Section 10 of the manual, but I don't know about '96.

Since it is 4WD, it probably is towable 4 down unless it is full-time 4WD (also called all wheel drive), and it probably isn't AWD because you say it has a manual Xfer case.

To tow 4 down, put Xfer case in neutral and transmission in park. You will probably also need to pull a fuse or 2 to keep the battery from running down while towing. That info should also be in the manual.

If you can't find the towing info, call your nearest Chevy Zone Office. Don't ask a salesman.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #5

1996 Chevy Tahoe as a toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
As has been said, check owners manual for a section called recreational towing. Later Chevy manuals usually have this info in Section 10 of the manual, but I don't know about '96.

Since it is 4WD, it probably is towable 4 down unless it is full-time 4WD (also called all wheel drive), and it probably isn't AWD because you say it has a manual Xfer case.

To tow 4 down, put Xfer case in neutral and transmission in park. You will probably also need to pull a fuse or 2 to keep the battery from running down while towing. That info should also be in the manual.

If you can't find the towing info, call your nearest Chevy Zone Office. Don't ask a salesman.

Well, I called GM and they referred me to the Vintage department because they had no info. Called the vintage dept. and guess what......no info.
So now I am getting smarter and call Etrailer were I just ordered the base plate for the Tahoe. They referred me to Blue OX who makes the plate. They assured me they only make plates for vehicles that ask for them, but have no technical data on xmissions or transfer cases etc. They kindly referred me to Remco. So Remco looked up a 1998 and told me that you can tow a 1998, with transfer case in N and Automatic in P and steering lock disabled by key position. No speed restrictions or fuse pulling mentioned. So, I am back were I started from ASSUMING which I hate to do, that all is well proceeding as above.
Any other info would be appreciated if you know of somebody who is actually towing an antique (70,000 miles on it) 1 owner?
747guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual