Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #15

I tow a 4 door Jeep Wrangler, went across the scales being towed with 35 foot Sun Cruiser it weighed 4600 pounds

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Anyone have thoughts/info on older Wranglers? Like late 90's rigs. I really don't know much about them but know they are great for towing. I've noticed online that old Cherokee rigs are about 1/2 the price of the Wranglers. No idea why...

1996 Country Coach Intrigue ��
We tow a 2004 Jeep Wrangler. It's the TJ series that started in 1999. We've towed ours over 100,000 miles with 2 different motorhomes. It weighs about 3750 lbs. and tows like a dream. It has the 4.0 straight 6 cylinder engine which I prefer over the newer V6's or 4 cylinders.

It rides a little rougher than a Buick, but then again most of the time it's not being towed it's being driven off road.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinson View Post
Hello, we are new to traveling with our small "A" and want to pull a flat towing unit. Thinking of a Jeep Wrangler. Want a four door but they are just over the limit of 5.000 pounds so considering the lighter two-door jeeps built after 2011. Any advise on maximum limits? Thank you.
We have towed Jeeps since the mid-90's when we bought our first motorhome, a 30' Class A Travelcraft on the GM P32 chassis. The Jeeps tow great and are one of the easiest to setup for towing.

Of the newer JK/JKU version the 2012 to current use the newer Pentastar engine whereas the 2007-2011 use the 3.8 litre V-6. On the 2009 to current they removed the steering wheel locks so you do not need to leave a key in the ignition nor worry about pulling any fuses like in the 2007-2008 model JK's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Anyone have thoughts/info on older Wranglers? Like late 90's rigs. I really don't know much about them but know they are great for towing. I've noticed online that old Cherokee rigs are about 1/2 the price of the Wranglers. No idea why...

1996 Country Coach Intrigue ��
Late 90's depending on the year brake will be TJ's after 1997. Previous to that they were YJ's and had leaf springs. TJ's had coil springs and the ride was improved upon both on and off road. If you really want a bad ass Jeep find a 2004-2006 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ). These are harder to find and usually bring a premium but well worth it.

These TJ/LJ's will most likely have a NP231 transfer case which is simple to throw in neutral and flat tow.

On all of our Jees I simply built new bumpers rather than used base plates. I incorporated the tow points into the bumpers for a clean and simple setup.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can not advise you to tow more than you can tow.

I can, however, state with authority that your tow limit might be less than you think.. Most Class A gassers come with a 5,000 pound rated hitch.. This ASSUMES that it is a direct hookup between the motor home and the towed, If you need a drop or rise hitch adapter then the limit goes down.. FAST (however there is a brand of tow bar that is kind of 'Bent" Sort of like a lazy s that usually brings the hitch up. This does NOT reduce the tow rating of the hitch.

Second you have your vehicle tow capacity which is the difference between the MAX COMBINED GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT) and the actual scaled weight of the RV loaded for travel.. In my case 4,000 pounds.

Your limit is the lesser of the hitch weight and the "left over" vehicle max CGVW.