Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #1

Want to tow a Jeep...?

Hello, we are new to traveling with our small "A" and want to pull a flat towing unit. Thinking of a Jeep Wrangler. Want a four door but they are just over the limit of 5.000 pounds so considering the lighter two-door jeeps built after 2011. Any advise on maximum limits? Thank you.

Stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have moved this post out of a different thread.
Can't help about the question...but...

...Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Actually, the four door Wrangler Unlimited is just under your 5K limit. Empty weight will be around 4500 lbs, while the published gross weight is over 5k lbs. Just don't load it up.

We towed a Wrangler Unlimited with our Ford V10 powered Tiffin Open Road and I had no complaints. You absolutely do want a good supplemental braking system installed, however.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #4

ford fiesta
(coming from a former wrangler owner) : )

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
I agree with JMonroe on the weight. Also, you may want to look for a 2012 and newer because it has a much better engine/transmission combo than the 11's and older.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have towed a 2005 Wrangler 2dr and now a 2012 Wrangler 2dr for over 25,000 miles with no issues. The 4dr is under 4400 pounds while the 2dr runs about 3850. The Wranglers are very easy to set up for towing. Just be aware that lift kits, oversize tires, etc can add weight and rolling resistance.

You need a good tow bar (Blue Ox, Roadmaster, etc), a good base plate ( I installed the Demco which works perfectly with a Blue Ox tow bar), lighting hookup, and a good braking system. The RVI2 brake is very quick and easy to setup each time and works perfectly with a Wrangler.

An advantage of any Wrangler after 2008 is you can tow without having to keep the key in the ignition as there is no locking steering wheel.

Hookup takes 2-3 minutes. Towbar, safety chains, breakaway, lights, transfer case in neutral, transmission in park and set the brake system.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:11 AM   #7

Anyone have thoughts/info on older Wranglers? Like late 90's rigs. I really don't know much about them but know they are great for towing. I've noticed online that old Cherokee rigs are about 1/2 the price of the Wranglers. No idea why...

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 07-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #8

Mine is a 2001 the base plate I use was like $50.00 we use a Demco Aluminator tow bar going on 13 years now. I needed a easily removed base plate because every year it needs to come off to put on the snow plow brackets on.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #9

I currently tow a 2dr 2012 Wrangler behind a V10 and really don't know it's back there. I purchased everything in order to tow it, including a Brake Buddy, on eBay for less than $600. I like the 2dr but wish I had bought a 4dr because it is so difficult to get in the back seat. When you go to different campgrounds and meet new people you will invariably make dinner plans with another couple and the 2012 is harder to get into the back than my old 64 CJ-5. That being said, those other two doors will cost you about 7 grand for the same model.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Anyone have thoughts/info on older Wranglers? Like late 90's rigs. I really don't know much about them but know they are great for towing. I've noticed online that old Cherokee rigs are about 1/2 the price of the Wranglers. No idea why...

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
I have a '98 TJ I tow behind our DP. It tows just fine. The Jeep is slightly, um, "modified" from the OEM config though. I built my own front bumper to accommodate my winch and added built-in tow points for my tow bar.

Whatever you do, don't buy the four cylinder -- they're quite gutless. The 4.0L six is a very dependable engine.
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tow a 1990 "gutless" wrangler and love it! It has toured the country.

Mike
Old 07-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #12

Buy a 2012 or newer the engine is so much better. Smaller more horse power better fuel milage. Ours with the manual trans averages 21-22mpg around town.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post

1996 Country Coach Intrigue ��

I have a '97 Wrangler. That's the first year of the TJ series. The TJ has 4 wheel coil spring suspension which not only gives a better ride, it also allows for more articulation for off-road use. The earlier Wranglers, the YJ series (the square headlight ones), had leaf springs.

Mechanically, mine has been extremely reliable. I have the 2.5l four cylinder. Yeah, it's gutless, but mine has been gutless for 210,000 miles with no more than basic maintenance. I use it as my daily driver when we're at home and it gets 20-21 mpg, every tank.

My only gripe is about the electrical system. I've had more stupid electrical problems than anything else on this thing. It seems that Chrysler didn't want to spend an extra 2 or 3 dollars on wire, so the wiring harness is just barely long enough to reach where it needs to reach. I've had connections come unplugged while driving, and wires rub through their insulation against the engine block because there isn't enough wire to allow me to re-route the harness. And whatever idiot decided to put the battery, with all the usual fumes and corrosion, right next to the Powertrain Control Module, ought to be shot! Every Spring, I pull all three connectors off the PCM and clean them and apply more dielectric grease. Otherwise, they corrode and cause the CEL to come on.

If you don't mind tinkering and fixing things, there are good deals to be found on early Wranglers. If you just expect to put gas in it and drive it forever, better buy something else.

Cherokees had the same systems and drive train as the Wranglers in those years. The only thing they lack is a frame. The unibody construction won't stand up to years of off-road use like the body-on-frame Wrangler will. Now if you can find one that's spent its life on the street, you might have something that will give good service for several years. Just look real close at the suspension and engine attach points on the unibody.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto on the wrangler weights... and ease of towing
First weight is stock 2014 4 door sport unlimited with heavy oem mats, brake buddy, and demco bar !
second is after wheels and tires and AMP steps ...

becoming absolutely a porker but purtier (IMHO), more comfortable ride, and our's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Stock.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	100907   Click image for larger version

Name:	1Before.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	100909  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Amp & wheels.jpg