Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #1

Want to use cargo carrier and pull my boat. What do I need to be safe?

Anybody doing this? Not sure how to go about it and be safe. My concern is the boat being to far extended so as not to hit the carrier in turns and stability....Any recommendations would be welcomed...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman62 View Post
Anybody doing this? Not sure how to go about it and be safe. My concern is the boat being to far extended so as not to hit the carrier in turns and stability....Any recommendations would be welcomed...
We don't have enough info to comment. Fill in some details for us; RV type, boat length, you know, stuff like that.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #3

I have a class 3 hitch on my gas v10 HR Vacationer and want to use a cargo carrier and pull my 20' ski boat from the same hitch. Just wondering if I can do it or if anyone else is doing this....
Old 06-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
sca

What do you need the cargo carrier for? Can you store the items you were going to put in the cargo carrier inside the boat while underway?

Boats don't typically have tons of hitch weight... but clearance might be an issue as most cargo carriers I know of stick out 2.5-3ft from the rear.

I personally have a dual hitch extender (Dual Hitch Extender) on my MH with a cargo rack in the raised hitch opening. My only use for it is to raise the cargo rack and extend it a little from the rear of the coach. The bottom hitch opening (the straight though one) has dragged before. I couldn't see coupling a trailer under a cargo rack.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #5

Thanks SCA, I could probably put it in the boat, but was looking to put my BBQ and cooler on the cargo carrier since my storage bay is to small to put them in and I already have a bunch of stuff in the boat. I was looking at this cargo carrier to see if it was doable...
Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier by VersaHaul