Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #1

Wanting to tow a Toyota Tacoma

Is there anyone towing a Toyota Tacoma. Does it have to be a 4by4? If so what has to be done?
af30228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

The only way to know is to find it in writing in the owner's manual. Don't trust a saleman or anyone else, look it the manual.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

I tow a 2007 Toyota 4x4 FJ Cruiser, thats very close, first if you have not bought it you may want something else, if you already own it like I owned mine a few things, the tow bar, on the FJ it's a job to install, yours I don't know, they require a driveline disconnect, with that and the wiring was a lot of work also for the turn signal brake lights, then the brake unit, I installed an air operated unit, it took a pressure reducer kit because Toyota uses full time power brakes, after all this I will say I have a great towing toad. Just to answer a question you may have is why one can't place the transfer case in N, and just tow it, the problem is there is an oil slinger in the transfer case, that is on the main shaft that turns with the output shaft, not the driveshaft turning, so it will work, but you will at some time after a short period burn up the bearings, best of luck, Remco is sold out of Southwest Driveline in Yuma AZ, or close to there, Ron
RonD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:33 AM   #4

A 2007 4x4 Tacoma has an electronic transfer case and thus no neutral position. It can be towed with a Remco DS disconnect. I had one on our 05 Tacoma and it worked well. Great vehicle. The Blue Ox base plate is not that hard to install.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I saw a guy towing a Tacoma at the tampa show a couple years ago. He complained when he tried to disengage the Remco driveshaft disconnect he had to crawl under the truck and spray it with wd40. I had a 4 runner at the time. I was Leary but went with the jeep grand Cherokee after 25 years of 4 runners. So far no complaints.

Jeff
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #6

I tow a 2002 Nissan Frontier V6 4WD with a 4 speed automatic and a manual transfer case with the auto front hubs. I installed a Remco driveshaft disconnect and have had no problems at all. At times reconnecting the driveshaft can be hard because I don't like to hear the grinding so I normally just lay down and slide under and connect it like that. I have thought about trying to put it in 4WD and using it like a front wheel drive but I don't know if it would work. We bought a Chevy Equinox and I am thinking about setting it up to tow. George 2001 Diplomat PBD
Old 05-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a jeep liberty automatic. I installed the remco transmission oil pump and have towed my jeep over 30K miles the past 2 years and the jeep works fine. I did have to change the pump twice. You can change them, once installed, in 5 minutes.
It's a great hassle free system.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I tow a jeep liberty automatic. I installed the remco transmission oil pump and have towed my jeep over 30K miles the past 2 years and the jeep works fine. I did have to change the pump twice. You can change them, once installed, in 5 minutes.
It's a great hassle free system.
Not EXACTLY hassle free! That's why I want a toad that can be towed. I've read a number of stories about the pumps or motors failing, cooking the transmission. I can drive and enjoy a manual transmission.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
True. But I already had the jeep. Not sure how they cooked the transmission. There is a pressure sensor in the jeep that connects to an alarm in the rig. If the pump goes, the alarm goes off. And pull over.
Anyway I find it to be easier than replacing my car.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I tow an 06 Tacoma with the Remco drive shaft disconnect, a Roadmaster Sterling towbar and the M&G aux brake system. Have had no problems with over 60,000 miles.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How about the brake system? I was looking at the ready brake but I have read that Toyota's brakes are a bit different, full time power or something like that. Would the ready brake work? I would like to tow my tacoma four down and get rid of the rain making tow dolly.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
You'll need to check on the brake system in your Toyota. If they are full time power brakes many braking systems will apply the brakes too hard and you'll squeal tires and perhaps damage things. If they are full time PB, you'll need to carefully select a brake system that can allow for more sensitive application of brakes.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-31-2014, 08:02 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Not EXACTLY hassle free! That's why I want a toad that can be towed. I've read a number of stories about the pumps or motors failing, cooking the transmission. I can drive and enjoy a manual transmission.
I'm with you on the oil pump. Although many do use them, seemingly without any problems.

But just to be clear, there are many cars with automatic transmissions that can be easily towed four wheels down without the addition of the Remco pump. Almost any 4-wheel drive car with a transaxle (either manual or electric) can be towed. And many cars with automatic transmissions (but without transaxles) can be towed just by putting the car in neutral. The GMC Acadia I'm towing now is one such car, as are many Fords. You have to read the owner's manual. (It's usually listed under "Recreational Towing".)
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
When looking to purchase a vehicle for towing we find it helpful to look at the Motorhome Magazine and FMCA towing guides. They publish one each year and the back issues are available. That is helpful if you are shopping in the used market. Of course that can be errors in any magazine and the final word is the owners manual of the car in question.

http://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing
http://www.motorhome.com/category/rv...-towing-guide/

If you already own a non towable vehicle then go to the REMCO website and see what they have to say about that model.

You will find that Toyota does not have much interest in supporting the recreational market nor does Nissan. GM has many models that can be towed four down and Ford a few. The Jeep is also very popular. As you can see from our signature that we tow a Honda CRV. In recent years Honda only supports the RV market with the CRV and the FIT.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote