Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 09:30 PM   #1

Warranty issues on new toads?

I have a question for all you experienced RVers; have you ever had any warranty issues on a toad that has been towed 4 wheels down? Even though the odometer isn't keeping track of the miles on newer vehicles, the facts remain that the wheels are spinning, the trans is whirring, and the suspension is working away as it's being dragged about the countryside. Anybody have a manufacturer balk with a warranty claim saying the vehicle has a lot more miles than the odometer says?
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
No. GM has been great to us with our 2010 Acadia, doing work for free well past the warranty.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Depends on the dealer. The Jeep dealer in town says anytime you modify it or tow it 4 door they will not warranty the vehicle. I drive 45 miles and the Jeep dealer there works on it and will cover it under warranty. The dealer I take it to said as long as it is not abused or excessive wear and tear I should not have a problem.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

I find it crazy that Jeeps or any vehicles that are advertised as 4 wheel toad capable... aren't covered under warranty when toad 4 wheels.... especially when they make options available like wiring harness and baseplate capable.

Ive taken my toad to a local dealer for service with no issues. They even sell modified Jeeps and under warranty... I guess it all depends on the attitude of the dealer.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would think if the vehicle is listed in the latest addition of the owner manual as being towable it should be covered.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Note in the one post one dealer refuses the other does the work.

Write JEEP, find out what THEIR policy is.. I'll bet the "other" dealer in that story is doing it per their policy.

There is a federal law that says they can not unfairly refuse warranty just because you made a minor modification.

NOTE ALL JEEPS CAN BE TOWED WITH ANY WHEELS ON THE GROUND.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Write JEEP, find out what THEIR policy is.. I'll bet the "other" dealer in that story is doing it per their policy.

There is a federal law that says they can not unfairly refuse warranty just because you made a minor modification.

A 2 wheel drive Wrangler cannot be towed... unless the driveline is modified to be de-coupled... which the warranty will be revoked.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Moss-Magnusson act. It REQUIRES the manufacturer to determine the actual reason for the failure before denying coverage. However Dodge and now probably Ram deny first and make you prove the modification isn't the cause and they get away with it due to the cost of litigation.
And NOT ALL JEEPS CAN BE TOWED FOUR DOWN!! You have to have four wheel drive and then only some of them are towable.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #9

my 2007 Jeep wrangler 4dr JK 2wd was not 'towable' 4 down...

my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4dr FWD auto was not 'towable' 4 down...

my 2014 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr FWD auto IS towable 4 down, and for 19k miles...
GO FIGUIRE!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:51 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Moss-Magnusson act. It REQUIRES the manufacturer to determine the actual reason for the failure before denying coverage. However Dodge and now probably Ram deny first and make you prove the modification isn't the cause and they get away with it due to the cost of litigation.
And NOT ALL JEEPS CAN BE TOWED FOUR DOWN!! You have to have four wheel drive and then only some of them are towable.
Just think, to fight them under the Moss-Magnusson Act most Attorney's want a retainer up front, and when you ask manufacturers of after market equipment who pays for the Attorney to fight it, it ends up being you, the vehicle owner. While the act is nice, my guess is the Auto Manufacturer has a building or two full of Attorneys sitting around waiting for something to justify their job, and will also venture to guess is their wallet is thicker.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads