Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #1

We need a new towed vehicle

My wife hit a patch of black ice Thursday morning. She will recover her Jeep will not. What are your recommendations for a 4WD car to flat-tow? Another
Jeep GC

A large box truck hit her from behind after she spun into the oncoming lane and careened off another Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 021816.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	119482   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	119486  

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Subaru
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

Oh my god

Buy a powerball ticket immediatly. I hope everyone is okay

2014 Chevy Cruze RS Toad
Moorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:52 AM   #4

From what I've found, Subaru 4x4 only approves the manual transmission for towing 4-down. Do you have more info for auto-transmissions?

DW is not out of the woods. Looks like recovery will take most of this year, so I'm not in a rush to buy a new car. Plenty of time to make a selection for a new car for her.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:34 AM   #5

Wow, we will keep her in our thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery. You may be better off with another Jerp GC after looking at those pictures.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:16 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

Honda HRV, stick shift. Look on the Remco site. I think they have a list don't know how up to date it is.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
OMG! I am happy that your wife will fully recover from this accident.

When living in upstate NY black ice was my most feared surface to drive on EVEN with a 4WD vehicle. The only tires that will help with black ice ones with chains on them.

Maybe look at a Hummer!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #8

Holy Black Ice, Batman! I'm glad to hear your wife will recover. If you hadn't told us, I wouldn't have been able to tell that used to be a Jeep.

Just before Christmas, my wife and I hit black ice near Sedona, AZ going about 25mph. We were fine but the Nissan Frontier sustained $7000 worth of damage but nothing like your Jeep. I'm sure the box truck and other Jeep did their share of the damage.

Did you ask the insurance company to make "like new?" Good luck on your search.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Wow, I'm glad your wife is okay.

I have been happy with my Jeep GC as a toad. I like the comfort of it. I'm sure you feel the same way.

Good luck, Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Re: the Subaru's; None of the automatics is towable 4 down. Only manuals and I think(?) that may be different this year for some of them.
Best wishes and a speedy recovery for your wife.
God luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad your wife is OK!

We like our Ford Edge AWD
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #12

I hope your wife recovers speedily and without complications.

We recently went on the hunt for a Toad. Living in Alabama where there aren't a lot of Snow Birds buying Toads I found that most dealers didn't have a clue about the tow-ability of their vehicles. But most seemed willing to get us information.

We have a Subaru Outback that we really love so we started there. The dealer said that none of the currently available AWD Subaru's are flat towable. A dolly also doesn't work, they require a trailer with all 4 wheels off the ground. There is something to be said for the Subaru's safety record though and they are great vehicles, we love ours.

Ford has several models that can be flat towed but most need to have the engine run every 400 miles or so. I think even the hybrids can be flat towed. Ford has a website that lists the towing requirements of all their vehicles that qualify.

Chevrolet has several vehicles that can be flat towed although after looking into them they also require running the engines and driving them to keep everything lubricated.

I talked to another RVer who was flat towing a Kia Soul which had a manual transmission. That looked promising until the two local Kia dealers said that towing a Soul voids the warranty.

One last candidate I found is the Smart Car. It has a roll cage and crumple zones so it is a lot safer then its tiny size suggests. It is pretty small so it doesn't tend to impart confidence, particularly here in the US. I also don't know whether the 2016 models are flat towable, but all previous years appear to be.

I was hoping that an electric vehicle would qualify but none have software in them to deal with flat towing.

True 4WD Pickups and SUVs, including Jeep, Ford, and GM, if they have a neutral setting on the transfer case can be flat towed. Although check with the dealer before buying anything.

We ended up with a Jeep Wrangler which seems to be well suited for flat towing. I weighed it and with a full tank of gas it was 4500 pounds which is under the max weight our Fleetwood will tow.

Tom
TBray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I'd find another 96 to 98 grand!!!!!
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ray so sorry to hear of your wife's accident. Buckeye here saying some prayers for her recovery. Like others have said I would not have known that was a Jeep if you hadn't told me.

Tags
tow