Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
we R new what to tow

not sure how we found iRV2, but we love what we see. so we have a first- we have a national dolphin 2006 gas, we tow a jeep wrangler 4wd 2000 we would like to trade in for something else not to small 4wd, can you help us with any suggestion out there. many thanks !
happy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Happy2, Welcome Aboard!! I think you have found one of the best RV forums around. Everyone here is very friendly and more than happy to share their experience/knowledge. Hope you enjoy it here!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #3

Hi Happy: Congratulations and many safe and enjoyable miles. I have a similiar rig (2005 Georgie Boy gas we bought new and now has 40,000 miles) We also towed a wrangler for a while but it was a 4cyl, noisy with sad gas mileage. We traded it in for a Jeep Cherokee 2001. I chose it because it had the last in line six Jeep made (4.0). It is auto with 4 wheel drive, more comfortable, quieter and about 18 to 20 mpg. While it is heavier the only time I noticed a difference was in the mountains around Aspen Colo where I down shifted and got in the right hand lane. Never overheated. No problems. We live in Fl and don't spend a lot of time in mountain country with exception of mountains in the Carolina's w/o problems. Again the very best to you and yours.... bill
bill carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You need to be concerned about the weight of what you tow. There are a couple of limiting factors:
(1)The hitch receiver rating, typically 5000 lbs on a gas chassis ClassA, but sometimes less.
(2) The GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating - which is the max combined weight of coach and toad and the contents of each, including passengers. The GCWR should be posted in your coach along with the other numbers like CCC, but it typically will be no more than 26,000 lbs and maybe less on some models. If your coach actually weighed, for example, 21,500 lbs when loaded with your family and gear aboard, that would mean the toad could weigh no more than 4500 lbs. You need to find the GCWR and then get the coach weighed when it is ready for travel, so you know how much you can tow.

A Jeep Liberty is probably a bit under 4000 lbs, while a Grand Cherokee might run 4500+.

You can find lists of towable cars on the Motorhome Magazine web site, where they have a Dinghy Towing Guide for each year.
Dinghy Towing Basics
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #5

Have you thought about the new Chevy Equinox? It weights around 3,800 lbs, gets 32 mpg and is towable.

I went last weekend to look at one but they were gone. I ended up buying a used HHR SS. Traded in a 4 dr Wrangler and don't miss it since I now see 32 mpg.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We looked a few months back at Honda CRV, Saturn Vue and Ford Escape. I liked the Ford Escape and the Saturn both over the Honda as it has a lot of road and engine noise and was not as comfortable. We haven't bought yet, but when we do it might be the Saturn Vue AWD 6 cyl or the Escape when it gets disc brakes all around. The Escape is lighter.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #7

Some friends bought a 2010 Equinox last week and we are still drooling. Looks to be a great toad. We tow a CRV, just can't have everything.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Hi Happy2, Welcome Aboard!! I think you have found one of the best RV forums around. Everyone here is very friendly and more than happy to share their experience/knowledge. Hope you enjoy it here!

Sheila
pnwgirl thanks for the welcome
Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Some friends bought a 2010 Equinox last week and we are still drooling. Looks to be a great toad. We tow a CRV, just can't have everything.
we are looking at crv and others thanks so much
Old 03-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
You need to be concerned about the weight of what you tow. There are a couple of limiting factors:
(1)The hitch receiver rating, typically 5000 lbs on a gas chassis ClassA, but sometimes less.
(2) The GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating - which is the max combined weight of coach and toad and the contents of each, including passengers. The GCWR should be posted in your coach along with the other numbers like CCC, but it typically will be no more than 26,000 lbs and maybe less on some models. If your coach actually weighed, for example, 21,500 lbs when loaded with your family and gear aboard, that would mean the toad could weigh no more than 4500 lbs. You need to find the GCWR and then get the coach weighed when it is ready for travel, so you know how much you can tow.

A Jeep Liberty is probably a bit under 4000 lbs, while a Grand Cherokee might run 4500+.

You can find lists of towable cars on the Motorhome Magazine web site, where they have a Dinghy Towing Guide for each year.
Dinghy Towing Basics
so much info, thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Happy2,

We too have a gaser, so we were also concerned with the size and weight of our toad. The 'new' generation Wranglers have been vastly improved upon since your '00 and the ride quality is firm but still maintains 'kidney health' with most road conditions. We are not planning any 'rock crushing' activities, so I suspect mild to moderate off roading will be improved as well.

I only drove a few of the early to mid '00's Wranglers but was impressed with the difference in the ride and handling of the '07s and up models. We went with a '08 'X' with the 3 piece hard top, a/t (due to laziness on my part) and with the a/c, pwr windows and locks, we found it to be quite and comfortable. Coming in at less than 4K GVW and the fact that we were unable to find a similar vehicle close to the same size and ground clearance, IMHO, you would be hard pressed to find a better vehicle.

However, if your plans do not include a little off roading in your travels, well...never mind. Enjoy the search for the new toad. Bob

P.S. My neighbor has a '08 CRV and LOVES it.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tow a 2007 Jeep Unlimited (4 door) with our Dolphin 5376 on a W24 Workhorse. The Jeep weighs in at about 4300lbs. Other than very long inclines, we have no problem towing it. Most of the time you can't even feel it back there.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #13

Hello Folks: I'm happy to see that Happy 2, received several replies to his post regarding a tow vehicle. Nice way to welcome newcomers. As indicated prior I currently own a 2005 Georgie Boy Pursuit V10 and tow a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 4 dr, 6 cyl, 4WD which I'm very happy with. I started to look at some of the weights mentioned on other Jeeps which prompted me to look at the registration on my own. Net weight 3355 lbs. which is considerable lower than some other but might be attributed to the "basic" Jeep. Again she tows great with what I would consider common sense usage in the mountains. Also have and use a Classic Brake Buddy.
bill carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seems I recall reading that the Ford Escape's with automatic transmissions were having some problems and it was a very simple fix to stop the problem. Anyone else remember reading this? Or of course I may have just dreamed it.

Welcome to the forum Happy2.