Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10
Weighing RV with or without toad

I have planning on weighing my recently purchased 2007 Tiffin Phaeton. The best scales I have access to is an axle scale but it will get me close enough to set tire pressures. I have read that if you are pulling a tow vehicle that you should weigh with that tow vehicle attached, but I am not currently set up to pull our 2012 Jeep Compass (about 3200lbs). My question is "How important is it to weigh the coach with the toad attached" ? It would seem that, at a stand still (while weighing) the toad will actually add very little weight to the rear the RV with 4 wheels down. Really the only weight should just be he weight of the hitch itself. all the weight of the toad is supported on its 4 wheels on the ground. So what is the point in dragging the toad along ? I do believe the toad will add weight while the RV is in motion (just not while sitting still). How should I account for any possible added weight while in motion (from the dragging motion from the toad) ? Thanks for any help or ideas.
__________________

__________________
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 14,970
The weight of the toad , is only a factor , when checking your coach & toad for exceeding the GCWR of your MH chassis.
You are correct in thinking that only the tow bars add any weight to the rear of the coach; that would show on the scales if you took the toad with you to weigh.
If you don't have the bars with you; in the hitch at the scale; add 100 lbs. to the rear axle weight for your tire pressure calculation.
I'd consider , loaded for travel , more important than , toad attached, for your trip to the scales.
__________________

__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
Community Administrator
 
Route 66's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 25,597
The toad doesn't enter into the equation regarding axle weights, other than part of the tow bar weight about 10~15#.
__________________
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The weight of the toad , is only a factor , when checking your coach & toad for exceeding the GCWR of your MH chassis.
You are correct in thinking that only the tow bars add any weight to the rear of the coach; that would show on the scales if you took the toad with you to weigh.
If you don't have the bars with you; in the hitch at the scale; add 100 lbs. to the rear axle weight for your tire pressure calculation.
I'd consider , loaded for travel , more important than , toad attached, for your trip to the scales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
The toad doesn't enter into the equation regarding axle weights, other than part of the tow bar weight about 10~15#.
Skip426 & Route 66
Correct

The weight of a "4 down toad" has little affect on the axle weights of the coach to which it's attached, (and therefore does not affect the tire pressures needed in the coach tires).

However loaded tow dollies and/or loaded trailers are a different story.

Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10
This makes sense to me. Thank you for your help.
__________________
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
I have planning on weighing my recently purchased 2007 Tiffin Phaeton. The best scales I have access to is an axle scale but it will get me close enough to set tire pressures. I have read that if you are pulling a tow vehicle that you should weigh with that tow vehicle attached, but I am not currently set up to pull our 2012 Jeep Compass (about 3200lbs). My question is "How important is it to weigh the coach with the toad attached" ? It would seem that, at a stand still (while weighing) the toad will actually add very little weight to the rear the RV with 4 wheels down. Really the only weight should just be he weight of the hitch itself. all the weight of the toad is supported on its 4 wheels on the ground. So what is the point in dragging the toad along ? I do believe the toad will add weight while the RV is in motion (just not while sitting still). How should I account for any possible added weight while in motion (from the dragging motion from the toad) ? Thanks for any help or ideas.
Jbucking,
As has been stated, the toad has absolutely nothing to do with your coach weight. And, a tow bar, even the steel versions, weigh only about 45 or so pounds. And that means that the rear of the coach would be supporting only about 22 lbs. or so. And, even at that, if you break it down to the rear duals (assuming you don't have tag axle), that means each tire and wheel combo will be supporting an additional FIVE AND HALF LBS. Wow.

So, in all reality, just go get your coach weighed and work with those figures. You and your coach will be just fine.
Scott
__________________

__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
toad



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Pushed Around By The Toad Percival6 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 38 01-12-2015 06:42 PM
Weighing With Toad Newbie58 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 2 07-22-2014 08:38 AM
Comments/ suggestions for toad - final plans. n5pht Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 2 06-21-2014 01:19 AM
Some Thoughts On Auxiliary Toad Brakes wil01 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 4 02-16-2014 01:01 PM
Protect Toad from MH and MH from Toad? Full.Monte Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 3 09-05-2013 12:51 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.