Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Weight calculations for Towing Trailer

I am a newbie to RV life

I purchased a 2004 LX 8321 Seabreeze and I want to trailer my car although I know that 4 down may be better I need to take my car with me which can not be towed or use a Dolly.

I am concerned about weights and need advice.

MY RV is GCWR 26000 pounds
GVWR 22000 pounds

unloaded weight 18100 pounds
Max cargo capacity 3900 pounds
Cargo capacity 2564 pounds
Hitch capacity 5000 pounds class III GM Vortec 8.1 engine Allison 100 transmission

Am I correct to under stand that the 4000 pound difference between GCWR and GVWR is the weight assumptions they us for towing but I can go as high as 5000 based on the hitch capacity? I then assume that my cargo capacity would be reduced by 1000 pounds to 1564?

Is 1564 pounds an adequate capacity for two adults? I have not even started to load up. Still looking for a trailer. My car weighs 3400 pounds leaving 1600 for the trailer. Most open deck tandem trailer's are 1600 pounds unless I find a lighter aluminum one. Am I risking anything by exceeding the 5000 pounds by a couple hundred pounds? Has anyone a understanding of performance issues?

Thank you for your opinions.

Sam

Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
You're correct on your GCWR and CVWR.

1564 should be, I'm going to guess that physically you're going to take up 350 pounds between the two of you. That leaves 1214 pounds for stuff.

Water is going to eat up 350 pounds, leaving 864 for everything else, pots, pans, clothes, linens, broom, mop. It adds up quick, so be mindful, you'll actually be cutting it close, but a lot of people will tell you it's just guidelines and a few hundred pounds won't matter.

You may be better off modifying your car to be towed four down.

sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The Cargo Carrying Capacity of 2564 lbs already includes an allowance for water and some number of adults at 154 lbs each, so there is no need to subtract for passengers and water as sknight suggests. Look at the RVIA weights sticker to verify - it should be in a cabinet somewhere. In fact, you probably will carry less passengers than the CCC calculation allows for, so you may have some cussion built in there. The best thing to do is to load her up for a trip and drive toa truck scale somewhere and weigh it. The difference between that and your GCWR is what you can safely tow, subject to the 5000 lb limit of the hitch. DO NOT EXCEED THE HITCH RATING! In fact, I would want to stay under it by 5-10% to be on the safe side.

2564 lbs if plenty for most people.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
The Cargo Carrying Capacity of 2564 lbs already includes an allowance for water and some number of adults at 154 lbs each, so there is no need to subtract for passengers and water as sknight suggests. Look at the RVIA weights sticker to verify - it should be in a cabinet somewhere. In fact, you probably will carry less passengers than the CCC calculation allows for, so you may have some cussion built in there. The best thing to do is to load her up for a trip and drive toa truck scale somewhere and weigh it. The difference between that and your GCWR is what you can safely tow, subject to the 5000 lb limit of the hitch. DO NOT EXCEED THE HITCH RATING! In fact, I would want to stay under it by 5-10% to be on the safe side.

2564 lbs if plenty for most people.

http://www.woodalls.com/output.cfm?ID=153379

You should read this before you say I'm wrong. They seem to agree with me. I worked on heavy trucks then GM dealerships for my entire career, this isn't the first time that this has come up.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We are talking about Cargo Carrying [CCC] capacity and I don't see it defined in the page that sknight cited.

The confusion here is the distinction between NCC (Net Cargo Capacity) and CCC plus the fact that the trucking industry uses slightly different terminology than the RV industry. The RVIA has standard definitions for CCC and NCC. Oddly enough, NCC is not at all a "net" value. Instead it is the gross difference between the Unladen Weight anf the GVWR. If you start with the NCC, you must subtract the weight of fluids, passengers and gear to determine how much is left over.

But CCC is defined to take into account the weight of water, propane, and passengers. CCC is the GVWR minus Unladen Weight minus water & Propane and minus the estimated passenger weight. The RVIA calulates passenger weight by multiplying the total number of sleeping positions in the RV by the gov't standard 154 lb/person. Since few of us carry the maximum number of passengers, there maybe some built in safety margin there.

Here is an article that explains how the CCC is calculated and used.

http://www.goodsamclub.com/community...icleid=1547461
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
In September 2000, the RVIA adopted a new term called Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC). The CCC is the difference between Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and the Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) and then subtracts the weight of a full tank of water including water heater, full tank of propane, and the weight of the passengers. The Sleeping Capacity Weight Rating (SCWR) is determined by multiplying 154 pounds (70 kilograms) by the number of sleeping positions. The remaining “unused” weight—the Cargo Carrying Capacity—is the amount of “stuff” you can safely carry before exceeding the manufacturer’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).
That said, and following this formula exactly,

Overall weights 22000-18100=3900
Water assuming 45 gallon tank and eight gallon WH 53*8=424
Passengers assuming it sleeps six 154*6=924
Propane 42
424+924+42=1390
3900-1390=2510
After eating up 1000 pounds with his vehicle and trailer 2510-1000=1510
By what you posted, following that formula, there's 1510 left for CCC, correct?
Seems I was off on that earlier, sorry.