Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Weird TPMS Experience

I have an RV TPMS system on my MH & toad, a Toyota Tacoma. All of my TPMS sensors are screwed onto the valve stems. Yesterday while driving my Tacoma, the low tire warning light came on for the Tacoma’s factory (internal) TPMS. All of my tire pressures checked ok, so I attempted to reset the truck’s TPMS. It would not reset, so I took it to America’s Tire to have them take a look at it. They have a scanner that they hold up to the wheel to run a diagnostic check of each wheel’s TPMS sensor. They determined that the R/F wheel’s factory sensor was bad. I run my RV’s TPMS wheel sensors on my truck all the time, so I asked the tech if he was possibly picking up the signal from my RV TPMS sensor. He said no, that he received a signal with a Toyota serial number.

The tire shop replaced my internal TPMS sensor and then attempted to reset the system. Their process requires them to scan each wheel again to record each sensor’s serial number. They then attach their scanner to the OBD II port of the vehicle to clear the warning light. 30 minutes later, after repeated attempts, they couldn’t clear my warning light. It hit me that my RV’s TPMS sensors may be creating interference, so I told them to remove them and re-scan each wheel. Worked like a charm - they were then able to clear the low tire pressure warning light.

When I got home, I rechecked my RV’s TPMS monitor to make sure they didn’t replace a good sensor with a signal from my valve stem sensor. I got a good reading so it looks like I didn’t waste my money.

So...if you need to have your toad’s internal TPMS sensors replaced, make sure you remove any external TPMS sensors first.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 03:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I have an RV TPMS system on my MH & toad, a Toyota Tacoma. All of my TPMS sensors are screwed onto the valve stems. Yesterday while driving my Tacoma, the low tire warning light came on for the Tacoma’s factory (internal) TPMS. All of my tire pressures checked ok, so I attempted to reset the truck’s TPMS. It would not reset, so I took it to America’s Tire to have them take a look at it. They have a scanner that they hold up to the wheel to run a diagnostic check of each wheel’s TPMS sensor. They determined that the R/F wheel’s factory sensor was bad. I run my RV’s TPMS wheel sensors on my truck all the time, so I asked the tech if he was possibly picking up the signal from my RV TPMS sensor. He said no, that he received a signal with a Toyota serial number.

The tire shop replaced my internal TPMS sensor and then attempted to reset the system. Their process requires them to scan each wheel again to record each sensor’s serial number. They then attach their scanner to the OBD II port of the vehicle to clear the warning light. 30 minutes later, after repeated attempts, they couldn’t clear my warning light. It hit me that my RV’s TPMS sensors may be creating interference, so I told them to remove them and re-scan each wheel. Worked like a charm - they were then able to clear the low tire pressure warning light.

When I got home, I rechecked my RV’s TPMS monitor to make sure they didn’t replace a good sensor with a signal from my valve stem sensor. I got a good reading so it looks like I didn’t waste my money.

So...if you need to have your toad’s internal TPMS sensors replaced, make sure you remove any external TPMS sensors first.
Thanks for the good advice!
I have a question off subject! I see you have a Tacoma Toad, is it Manual drive or automatic? Reason i ask, is i have considered towing a tacoma myself though they are not listed as four down towable.
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2wd auto. I installed a Remco driveshaft disconnect. Tows like a champ.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #4

Awesome, thanks for the info..
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #5

I have been wondering if I installed the screw on EEZ TPMS sensors on the valve stems of my KIA's rear wheels if they would play nice with the internally mounted OEM sensors. If I have read this thread correctly it seems like maybe they will. Is that correct? If so are there any other unintended consequences besides what you encountered?
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You should be just fine towing your Kia. This is the only issue I have ever encountered. Once you program your TPMS, it should only pick up the intended sensors.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
You should be just fine towing your Kia. This is the only issue I have ever encountered. Once you program your TPMS, it should only pick up the intended sensors.
Thx G-Man.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms