Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #1

We're going toad shopping! Help us choose between these four:

Our Saab is on it's last legs (wheels) so it's time to get rid of the tow dolly and buy something we can tow 4 down. We are definitely buying used (hate eating too much depreciation) and we need something that will fit a German Shepherd in the cargo area.

We've narrowed it down to:

late model Jeep Cherokee Latitude
earlier model (2010) Jeep Grand Cherokee
late model Ford Edge
late model Honda CRV

We're open to suggestions as well. Our budget is $20K or under.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
2015 Honda CR-V's are not towable four down, the 2014's and earlier are. The Fit automatics aren't towable now either and I think that started with the 2014's as they went to the CV trans.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We are on our second CR-V. Easy to tow, Rides nice and dependable. 4 doors for taking guest and though I have never used it, I am told the back seat is a comfortable ride. I do know riding with others in the back seat, your knees are up into you ears or you have No room to place your feet. I have probably towed CR-V's now for over 100K miles.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Like you, my preference is flat towing, but have you budgeted the cost of setting up the new toad? A dolly is a one time purchase. Setting up a toad for flat towing means doing it every time you buy a new car.

With that caveat out of the way, my choice would be the Grand Cherokee. I've had a couple and they're very easy to tow. Make sure the transfer case has neutral. Not all do and without neutral, they're not towable. You want the Quadra-Trac II or Quadra-Drive II. The Quadra-Trac I isn't going to work.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:47 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a jeep fan. Great toads, good vehicles, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:26 AM   #6

The Jeep line has (3) 4x4 automatics that can be towed 4 down.....Liberty up to 2012 only.....the Cherokee and the Wrangler up to 2015. The Latitude is not on the list as towable.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:48 AM   #7

Give a look at 2005-2007 Jeep Liberties. Should be able to find one in good condition for $8,500 to $11,000. Like any used vehicle it might need some repairs, but from what I've seen they are solid vehicles to tow.
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not all Edge models are towable so be diligent in your selection. I miss owning a 4wd. Wife does not want to get rid of the Edge. Too many creature comforts.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chevy Equinox, most are flat towable and when we got both of ours we negotiated to have the dealer install the brackets. Plenty of room for our dogs in the cargo area.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
2012 up Wrangler unlimited (4 dr). I know they are not everyone's "cup of tea", but they are easy to set up for towing, fun to drive, and wrangler's have really become refined inside with the Sahara line. We own a 2012 Wrangler and a 13 Grand Cherokee and if we could only have one, I think I would keep the Wrangler. mark

2008 DSDP, 12 Wrangler/blue ox, rvbrake 2
Old 11-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Chevy Equinox, most are flat towable and when we got both of ours we negotiated to have the dealer install the brackets. Plenty of room for our dogs in the cargo area.
We also tow an Equinox, a 2011. I think this year or 2010 was when they changed to the new models. I don't believe the previous years were flat towable. We have had no problems and it tows easily. Plenty of room for us, only 2.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
Like you, my preference is flat towing, but have you budgeted the cost of setting up the new toad?
We bought our dolly for about a grand, so plan to sell it and put towards setting up the new vehicle. And we don't buy new cars very often, so I think we're good in that aspect. But thanks for the thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
The Jeep line has (3) 4x4 automatics that can be towed 4 down.....Liberty up to 2012 only.....the Cherokee and the Wrangler up to 2015. The Latitude is not on the list as towable.
(On the 2014 Motor Home Magazine Dinghy Guide it lists the Cherokee, and the Latitude is a Cherokee. Am I mistaking to assume it's towable? I would certainly double check if we went that route.)
Answered my own question: Cherokee Latitude or Limited 4x4 can be if they are fitted with the optional Active Drive II 4x4 system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
2012 up Wrangler unlimited (4 dr).
My first choice. I love them, but out of our price range unfortunately. :(

So I've added the Equinox and the Liberty pre-2013 to our short list (which just got longer).

Now my question is:

Which of those 6 would be best in safety and reliability?
I intend to check all the stats online, but would be grateful if any of you could share your opinions.

Thanks

Also...We've test driven a Latitude and I'm not impressed with the 4-cyl. Our Saab is, but is also turbo, so it's got nice pick-up. Any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
Give a look at 2005-2007 Jeep Liberties. Should be able to find one in good condition for $8,500 to $11,000. Like any used vehicle it might need some repairs, but from what I've seen they are solid vehicles to tow.
We have a 2004 Jeep Liberty 2WD and are told we CANNOT tow it four down. It has to be 4WD. So, consider that as well.
wfcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #14

We looked at the Cherokee last year when they were new. We liked the 4500lb towing capacity of the 6-cyl (we also have a boat) but didn't really like the rear space for the pooch. Almost bought one but they couldn't find one with the Active Drive II.
We then found our Equinox and love it.
Look for cars with a more vertical lift-gate. The Cherokee had a sloped rear which really restricts the dog's movement. The Edge is similar.
Also looked at the Explorer but was out of our price range.
We looked at the CR-V (has the more vertical rear) but it didn't have the towing capacity we needed.

BTW: the Equinox is among the best in class for safety.

chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad