Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

What about a toad?

Ok all you folks out there pulling a car behind you. What should I be looking for in the used market to tow behind my 06 34' Monaco Diesel? Where would one look for a unit already set up? All the help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Classifieds here are a good start. Link here.

Brian

BrianGlenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
fiver, I know a guy that has a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee all set up to tow, with tow bar and brake. If you need the info PM me. Thanks.

Dave
Old 01-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #4

This website has several toads for sale in the "classified" section.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

Craigslist is good, also ask at your local RV dealer, they may know someone looking to downsize.
We bought our truck already set up for towing, but did have to buy the brake and towbar from Blue Ox.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #6

What will you use the toad for?

Grocery getter or exploring fire roads?

Hitting the outlet malls or top-down cruising the back roads?

Is it just you and the DW / DH or will there be more people to haul around?

Decide on these questions, then find a toad to meet the needs.
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You should be looking for the type of vehicle that suits your needs, i.e. seating, size, body style, fuel economy & storage space. Your Monaco diesel can easily handle a toad of 5000 lbs, so not much restriction on how large a vehicle you choose.

Once you have narrowed down the type of vehicle you would like. check the Dinghy Tow Guides for models that are flat towable without modification. Other models can be modified for towing, but it's expensive ($2k and up).

www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:39 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If you are serious about Motorhoming and know it is in your long range future, why not buy a new car and get it set up for towing. We in the past bought used and they only lasted 4 to 5 years and we were in the same boat again with a car that was on its last legs. The last car we bought was a 2014 Honda CRV. We are very satisfied. We expect to be able to get about 7 or 8 years out of it. If you spread out the setup cost over an extended period it should be a saving in the long run.

Just a thought

TOM
Old 01-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003Mountain View Post
If you are serious about Motorhoming and know it is in your long range future, why not buy a new car and get it set up for towing. We in the past bought used and they only lasted 4 to 5 years and we were in the same boat again with a car that was on its last legs. The last car we bought was a 2014 Honda CRV. We are very satisfied. We expect to be able to get about 7 or 8 years out of it. If you spread out the setup cost over an extended period it should be a saving in the long run.

Just a thought

TOM
Wow! You're pretty tough on your toads! A 2014 Honda CRV should give you 10 to 15 Years of usage easy if properly maintained. If, on the other hand, you are yearning for that New Car $mell, than I guess you are on the right track.

We recently changed from a 2004 Honda Element to a 2004 GMC Canyon 4wd extended cab pickup, not because the Element was worn out (it isn't), but because out needs for a Toad changed.

There are a lot of nice Toads out there for sale. Check out the Classifieds here on IRV2 as mentioned above, or check out Craigslist, or just research what will work for a toad, and buy it, then put on your baseplate, lighting, and brake system yourself.

I would shy away from rigs that will need a driveline disconnect, or a transmission lube pump. Lots of extra $$ as well as problematic results with lube pumps as documented on different forums.

Good luck with whatever you chose!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Wow! You're pretty tough on your toads! A 2014 Honda CRV should give you 10 to 15 Years of usage easy if properly maintained...........Good luck with whatever you chose!
We recently bought a 2014 CRV, so I hope you are correct, BUT towing miles can make your theory irrelevant.

We bought a new Saturn Vue in 2005 and towed it more than 140,000 miles. The ODO only recorded ~63,000 miles but that meant the suspension went over 200K. Because there were no lubrication points on the chassis/suspension it was totally worn out and replacing all the worn parts cost more than the car was worth, even though the motor and tranny were "like new".
Old 01-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
We are very happy with our 2009 Saturn Vue. Both the 2009 or 2010 are the same model. Anticipate $3000 to set up your vehicle for four down towing (base plate, tow bar, braking system & installation). If you can find a vehicle already set up you will probably save a few $'s.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well we shall see how long the CR-V last I have 36200 road miles and probably another 25-30,000 towing. I have exact records but I am to lazy tonight to go look it up.
When I bought my CR-v I had the dealer install the baseplate (Blue Ox) and lights for towing as part of the deal. Well ok it cost me $100.00 for the baseplate and lights. Sadly the 2014 is the last year you can tow a CR-V 4 down.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a '05 Ody that we bought in very late Dec '04. So far it's got 105,000 miles on the Odometer and another 45,000 towing.
Just started having trouble with the check engine light showing so taking it in next week for the timing belt and water pump change. Could cost $2,000 but the rig is still running well and worth the cost to repair. Plus I'd have to get new tow plates, wiring and brake system set up if I changed. Other then one set of brakes that I did myself this is the first mechanical repairs it's ever needed.
It's pretty close to the OP's 5,000# limit but still slightly under unless we load it for the sales at cat show like we used to.
Wanted to change to a new CR-V but Honda ruined that for 2015 on up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several resources you should check,, Most Motorhome magazines, FMCA, Escapees, and much more all publish "Towable" lists, the problem is they usually only list current year models cause all of us are rich as a Koch and thus can afford a new car right... (WRONG). (For those that do not know the Koch family is among the 5 richest in the nation).

Of course if you get the copy of the magazine (possible at some libraries) that is the model year of the cars you are looking at....

Remco Towing USA (google) Click on STORE link, it brings up as I recall a 3 frame page.

]Left frame enter the vital staticits about the car you are looking at,, Year, Make, Model, Engine, Transmission F/R/4/All wheel drive (Note most All Wheel (full time 4) drive cars do not tow 4 down) and it will tell you what you need to know... Possible replies:

All vehicles it will recommend tow bar, lights and brakes... Beyond that you have:

Nothing else needed
Axle Lock or Drive shaft disconnect
Lube pump
Special procedures
Sorry we do not know that model.

My first towed I had a choice (Axle lock or lube pump) I choose the lock and glad I did,, this is kind of like a drive shaft disconnect.. Technology is older than I am and number of complaints in that time is... VERY VERY small. You reach behing the wheel with an oil filter wrench (provided) turn the collar 1/3 turn and now you have not a car, but a trailer.. If a thief were to jump in (You got to leave the key in the ignition) Fire it up and put the pedal to the metal.. The only place he'd have to go is JAIL cause the transmission is no longer connected to the wheels. Drive shaft disconnect is same idea, rear wheel drive.

Lube pump you tow with trans in Neutral.. Everything is still hooked up but the electric pump circulates transmission fluid to keep things cool and slippery like they should be.

Some cars do not need these, epically Stick Shift and most jeeps with MANUAL transfer case.

Additional on JEEP.. At least one Car and Driver type mag (in fact that may be the one) does an annual "Bang for the Buck" where they rate fun to drive/hot cars like Mustangs, Cameros, Firebirds, several imports and such.The winner, often as not, is JEEP.. Lots and lots of fun, Compared to those ticket magnets it's a whole lot of fun.

Tags
toad