Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
What brand of tow dolly do you own and why

We are preparing to full time in a year for the next year or two or until we find our permanent retirement home. I have weighed the options of 4 down and dolly use, and find the dolly with brakes may be the best option for us. So my question to tow dolly users is what brand of dolly do you use and what are the + and -'s of your particular dolly choice. As always, thanks for your help.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Demco. We are on our second one and they work very well.

Demco Tow Bars, Brackets & Kar Kaddys - PPL Motor Homes
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
ACME Tow Dolly - simple design, detachable ramps (no banging the rocker panels), surge brakes, Vault Hubs, EXCEPTIONAL customer service, cost. Got about 15,000 miles towing a Lincoln MKZ. No negatives - all good.
AZCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Klc

Winnebago Owners Club
We also will be ft'ers next year and have decided a tow dolly will be best for us. We have a 2014 ford focus. I am interested to hear from others too. Thanks for asking what we were wondering.
Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've bought two dollies, one a factory built one out of Portland OR and now have the Demco KK-460 although we've quit using it and now tow four down.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I too have an Acme Tow dolly. Check out that link, it has an excellent video and a robust FAQ section that should pretty much answer any of your questions.

Heavier-duty tires; sealed, maintenance-free bearings; surge disc brakes; all welded-steel construction (no bolt-together); removable ramps with aggressive grip; integrated tail lights; higher weight-carrying capacity and lighter to move around.

It also stands on end for easy storage in a garage or RV park... though I'v never been in a park that didn't have enough space to store it flat.

Best of all, when you log on to their website, there's an announcement that pops up that they currently have 2 units with paint blemishes that they're offering at a discount... you get a free spare tire and rim. I wish they woulda had that when I ordered mine

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klc View Post
We also will be ft'ers next year and have decided a tow dolly will be best for us. We have a 2014 ford focus. I am interested to hear from others too. Thanks for asking what we were wondering.
Unless you have a Focus ST, it can be towed 4 down. BTW, I use a Master Tow dolly. Works great.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
An acme easy tow is the only one we will ever have... Works great. Surge disc brakes work great... All in all its great easy to store anywhere on your rv lot or in your back yard.. Get a scratched one with a frere spare. Good luck... Enjoy
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #9

I use a Stehl Tow dolly. 16,000 trouble free miles. About $1,600.

Found it in stock, at a large hardware store. It is sold all over the country.

We hitched it up, loaded the car and headed south.

http://www.stehltow.com/Stehltow/Home.html

14" locally available tires , hydraulic surge brakes with breakaway system, LED lights and swiveling, tilt pan with built in ramps. The tongue and support braces are bolted on and replaceable if you screw up.

No need to leave key in car if it has locking steering or picking up and storing dirty ramps.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #10

I have the ACME as well and am happy with it. However, your choice might depend on the car you plan to tow. Some have had issues with the dollies that don't have removable ramps as they hit the underside of the car. Some have had issues with fenders hitting the side of the car and causing damage. So car width, ground clearance, etc. should be considered as well as whether you steering locks when the key is removed.

On my car, the steering doesn't lock so the ACME works quite well. Also, the ACME is quite wide and I don't fear the non-removable ramps whacking the underside of my car. The ACME is also fairly light, so if you have a Class A gas and are limited to 5K lbs towing than the weight savings in dolly might keep you within the tow limit if you have a heavier car.

I am happy with my choice but my choice might not be best for your situation. I would assess those brands available and then make your selection. Cost is also a player.

If I had it to do over, I would go with the ACME with electric brakes. Then I can prevent dolly braking on long downhill stretches where the engine is holding back the coach. With surge brakes, they are activated in a situation like that.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #11

Bought a used Demco KarKaddy SS. Steerable wheels, galvanized frame, foldable tongue and ramps, surge brakes, and a reliable easy to use ratchet system. But I also have switched to 4-down and will sell the dolly soon.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #12

The original poster did not mention what kind of car they planned to tow. I have an EZTow dolly and like it a lot. You can search on my username and see pictures and observations I have on the dolly.

I originally towed a Nissan Murano. I'd say that car is about as big a vehicle as I'd want to deal with using the EZ Tow. I now have a CRV and it loads much easier since it has smaller tires and not as wide a wheel track.

The only dislike I have for the EZ Tow is the small tires it uses. They might be hard to find in a pinch, and now I carry 2 mounted spares. Although I've had one blowout, I have not seen the "cracked" tires people have mentioned. I did have a ramp drop off once on a gravel surface while loading. Not sure what happened, but it was a one time thing.

This is not a swivel dolly so you do need to have your steering column unlocked. Not a big deal in my CRV. I did have to pull a fuse in my Murano to keep the wheel unlocked.

There is no magic bullet in towing. Whether it's a dolly, full trailer or 4-down set up you'll have to make some decisions and figure out what works best. I like the EZ Tow since its small and lightweight. I can stand it on end in my garage so it takes up minimum space.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:55 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
So far it seems that Demco and Acme are favored. Several replies have mentioned surge brakes, why not electric?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
The reason I never went to electric brakes was because my new rv does not have a brake controls so that would require more money you invest in some cases I think that can be a little pricey.. This the third trailer I've had with surge brakes.. No problems... I'm sure there are others who have had issues. So I would say go rving, before you buy and talk to other rvrs and look at what they have.. Before you buy used make sure you look at the dolly .. And decide which one was taken care of and will work for you. Good luck
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly