Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #15

You are welcome Cathy and I think I speak for all who pitched in. Your question is totally appreciated and I suggest this group helped out a lot more than your dealer or manufacturer did. There is a lot of experience and savvy here.

I truly believe your tow wt is 3500 lbs per the spec I read. (You might want to get confirmation on this from the manufacturer.)

But to summarize: you must travel under the GVWR and keep within the GCWR to get to the tow wt you are looking for. Tow wt is usually factored by power train and hitch components and like the GVWR and GCWR the stated TOW wt should not be exceeded. Axel wt is also important for handling so when you get weighed, do it by axel so you know where you stand with that. Axel wts should be on your vehicle sticker. Keep within those limits also. Keeping wt low is better than something higher also. Lower C of G = greater stability. Filling tanks for example lowers the center of gravity.

Suggest you load up for a trip and get weighed to determine what your tow wt really is per your configuration. It will vary depending on the load.

One usually does not get concerned about tongue wt when towing 4 down, albeit the hitch does weigh something, but when connecting a trailer, this must be looked at in more detail. A heavy tounge wt will add to the rear axel wt and detract from the front axel wt. Back goes down and front goes up based on the fulcrum being the rear axel. Wheel base and overhang factor into the equation.

I suspect you can configure to tow the "Fit". I understand they are a good tow veh,

I made an error in a previous post when I stated a tongue wt of my current RV being 350lbs, it is 500lbs, my van is 350lbs and my class A's were 1000lbs. Been towing something for more than 50 years with sooo many different configurations it is tough for this old mind to keep track of all the rigs and wts etc.

Good luck and please post back after you get weighed. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been looking a light weights also. I like the Chevy Spark @2400 and the Sonic at about 2700.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Cathy, two posters have politely or not so politely disputed what I've written but Libero has essentially said the same thing in much simpler and more clear terms. Carefully read his posts and hopefully you'll be able to understand the concept.

I believe he is correct in that the maximum weight that the toad can weigh is 3,500 lbs. Again, that's assuming that you can keep both your GVWR and GCWR under the manufacturer's weight rating.

I'm getting that 3,500 pound figure from here: click

Look under "Technical Specifications" where it will state the figures we've been discussing:

GVWR at 11,500
Payload capacity (CCC) at 2,460

...and will also list the "Towing Capacity" at 3500lbs.

I will PM you later with one other factor you might want to consider.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Cathy, two posters have politely or not so politely disputed what I've written but Libero has essentially said the same thing in much simpler and more clear terms. Carefully read his posts and hopefully you'll be able to understand the concept.

I believe he is correct in that the maximum weight that the toad can weigh is 3,500 lbs. Again, that's assuming that you can keep both your GVWR and GCWR under the manufacturer's weight rating.

I'm getting that 3,500 pound figure from here: click

Look under "Technical Specifications" where it will state the figures we've been discussing:

GVWR at 11,500
Payload capacity (CCC) at 2,460

...and will also list the "Towing Capacity" at 3500lbs.

I will PM you later with one other factor you might want to consider.
If their coach does have the V10, it should have a GCVW of 18500 LBS 2013 Ford E-Series Cutaway Work Trucks | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com . If this is the case, there should be no issue towing a car. They may want to verify under the hood on what engine they have because the other link showed a 13K GCVW which would indicate the 5.4L V8.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #19

Theroc

Good post, you provided additional info that could help Cathy,

Jamesrxx951

Very good comment re the Engine size increasing the GCWR but in this case, the OP stated her engine was a Ford 350 V8, so I believe the GCWR will be 13000lbs. But checking is always a good idea. Don't know liter displacement for the Ford 350.

The old carpenters axiom "measure twice and cut once" is sound advice can can be applied to many scenarios. This is one such scenario.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
James, I understand what you are saying about the engine size and it's good of you to mention it and contribute your thoughts.

However, I again agree with what Libero has explained and my comments were based on the exact model designation that Cathy mentioned in her opening post along with her mentioning the exact engine they had in their Coachmen.

Cathy, I again wasn't clear in my last post and I have to make a correction in order not to confuse you. This is what I stated: "I believe he is correct in that the maximum weight that the toad can weigh is 3,500 lbs. Again, that's assuming that you can keep both your GVWR and GCWR under the manufacturer's weight rating."

That should read:

I believe he is correct in that the maximum weight that the toad can weigh is 3,500 lbs. Again, that's assuming that you can keep your weight below both the GVWR and GCWR that is given to your coach by the manufacturer.

The initial wording made it sound as if GVWR and GCWR are both something you can adjust. The are NOT. They are fixed weight RATINGS that come from the manufacturer and directly relate to your specific vehicle. They are NOT weights that can be adjusted by you and neither is CCC which is also a fixed figure.

What you want to do is to make sure you are below all those RATINGS. The factor that is important and what everything really hinges on is the weight of the cargo you plan to load into your motorhome. That is what ultimately will determine the weight of the vehicle you are allowed to tow safely and legally.

What we know now is that you definitely can't tow a vehicle over 3,500 pounds and it may even be that you can't tow a vehicle over 1,500 pounds (again, that is if your coach is loaded to its GVWR). Therefore, in my opinion, it will depend on how much cargo you are going to load into your motorhome that will determine how heavy a toad you can use. Remember to give yourself a bit of a buffer in your calculations.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Theroc

Good post, you provided additional info that could help Cathy,

Jamesrxx951

Very good comment re the Engine size increasing the GCWR but in this case, the OP stated her engine was a Ford 350 V8, so I believe the GCWR will be 13000lbs. But checking is always a good idea. Don't know liter displacement for the Ford 350.

The old carpenters axiom "measure twice and cut once" is sound advice can can be applied to many scenarios. This is one such scenario.
There is not a Ford 350 V8 that is why I was adding that info because it was not clear. Looks like the model number of the coach was 350 but still not entirely clear. The 5.4L V8 is 331 cubic inchs.

I added the information because the 2 links that were provided, provide two different GCVW.
http://www.coachmenrv.com/products/f...loorplanid=307

http://www.rvguide.com/specs/coachme...nder/19cb.html

One looks to be from the manufacture and the other a review. According to the review 3500 LBS is based on a V10. According to coachman GCVW is 13000 LBS. Unless the coach weighs 9500 LBS (just heaver than a F350) 3500 LB towing would not be possible.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
There is not a Ford 350 V8 that is why I was adding that info because it was not clear. Looks like the model number of the coach was 350 but still not entirely clear. The 5.4L V8 is 331 cubic inchs.

I added the information because the 2 links that were provided, provide two different GCVW.
Freelander - Coachmen RV

2013 Coachmen Freelander 19CB Motorhome : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide

One looks to be from the manufacture and the other a review. According to the review 3500 LBS is based on a V10. According to coachman GCVW is 13000 LBS. Unless the coach weighs 9500 LBS (just heaver than a F350) 3500 LB towing would not be possible.
James,
Well, I wasn't going to bring it up in the midst of all the other hoopla that's been generated in this thread but, I'll confirm. You're correct in the fact that Ford doesn't make a "350" cu. in. engine. They never have. They made, a long time ago, a 352, mostly used in trucks, and, for years since, they produced the 351, in two different versions, the Cleveland and the Winsor.

But, that's not important right now. She simply stated that the coach is a "350-V-8". Well, in all reality, yes, it's most likely an "E-350" chassis which, is merely a 1-ton van chassis. And, if and when she does a correct check and informs us, she may in fact, have the 5.8 V-8, which is equivalent to the 351. Just thought I'd throw that in.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
James,
Well, I wasn't going to bring it up in the midst of all the other hoopla that's been generated in this thread but, I'll confirm. You're correct in the fact that Ford doesn't make a "350" cu. in. engine. They never have. They made, a long time ago, a 352, mostly used in trucks, and, for years since, they produced the 351, in two different versions, the Cleveland and the Winsor.

But, that's not important right now. She simply stated that the coach is a "350-V-8". Well, in all reality, yes, it's most likely an "E-350" chassis which, is merely a 1-ton van chassis. And, if and when she does a correct check and informs us, she may in fact, have the 5.8 V-8, which is equivalent to the 351. Just thought I'd throw that in.
Scott

There is no 5.8L engine either in the trucks. The only recent (after 1997)5.8L is in the 2014 Mustang Shelby GT500 which is a 5.8L 4V supercharged engine. It needs to be determined exactly what engine she does have because it has not been made clear. She may think she has a V8 but has a V10. It needs to be clear on the exact setup first before it goes any further. The 5.4L and 6.8L have two totally different GCVW.

It does mention that the tow capacity is 1500LBS so it likely has the 5.4L. This will limit towing as the coach is probably pretty heavy already. As others have said, the scales will be needed under full camping take off weight to determine what is left over for towing. And make sure it has a class II hitch and not class 1 for light towing. This will also indicate that the review specs are incorrect because that was quoted for a V10 equipt coach.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #24

Quote:
There is no 5.8L engine either in the trucks. The only recent (after 1997)5.8L is in the 2014 Mustang Shelby GT500 which is a 5.8L 4V supercharged engine. It needs to be determined exactly what engine she does have because it has not been made clear. She may think she has a V8 but has a V10. It needs to be clear on the exact setup first before it goes any further. The 5.4L and 6.8L have two totally different GCVW.

It does mention that the tow capacity is 1500LBS so it likely has the 5.4L. This will limit towing as the coach is probably pretty heavy already. As others have said, the scales will be needed under full camping take off weight to determine what is left over for towing. And make sure it has a class II hitch and not class 1 for light towing. This will also indicate that the review specs are incorrect because that was quoted for a V10 equipt coach.
Roger that on not having the 5.8L. I don't follow Ford engines anymore, like I used to and, the only couple I've had in the last 20 years were 2-460s and, one V-10. Sorry about that. learn something everyday, even this old brain.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Roger that on not having the 5.8L. I don't follow Ford engines anymore, like I used to and, the only couple I've had in the last 20 years were 2-460s and, one V-10. Sorry about that. learn something everyday, even this old brain.
Scott
no issues here. Believe me, I have learned more about and how to tow here on this site over the past few months that I ever knew. Really woke me up on some of the stuff I have seen going down the road.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I was looking at the specs and could not find the engine size. Since the other motorhomes that are longer tow more, I wonder if this motorhome has the 5.4L V8 in it and that is the limiting factor.
I don't see how that can be it. The F150s even with the lowest power V6 has a higher tow rating.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I don't see how that can be it. The F150s even with the lowest power V6 has a higher tow rating.
It is listed in the van spec sheet that I posted a link to.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Nope, what I posted comes from various magazine articles over the years. You can not "transfer" the weight from a lightly loaded tow vehicle to allow you to tow a heavier vehicle than allowed by the manufacturer.
Why not as long as the set up is correct for the weight. Im no expert on towing by any means but if the weight of the vehicle is not higher than GVW and the GCVW is not exceeded, I cannot see why the motorhome could not tow 4900LBS if the loaded weight of the motorhome was 8K or less. You are under GVW and GCVW