Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
It is listed in the van spec sheet that I posted a link to.
I saw that I'm just saying that is has to be some thing other than the engine.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Vans seem to be rated lower for some reason. I suspect due to expected wind resistance iof the conversions. If you ever drove a transit bus with a 5.4L, I think you may understand. Not the most powerful vehicle on the road. The axle and transmission are the same between both engines.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #31

What can I tow??? response

Thanks to all of you for all the information provided here. It has been very informative for sure. It sure involves a lot when it comes to towing. Just to let everyone know my Coachman Freedlander 19cb does have a V8 350; 5.4 liter.....it is not the V10....therefore all the hoopla in trying to get a straight answer as to what I can tow. V8 meaning better gas mileage and that's what I was looking at and the size when buying; not even thinking there would be a problem as to what to tow........assuming I guess like I am sure a lot of people on the road towing have done. Being smaller with all the perks is what attracted me to the unit; it will fit in any normal parking space. It would be nice to park said unit for a few days and have another means of transportation to get around without unhooking everytime I want to go somewhere. So, all that being said; if any more info on this would help please let me know. Thank you all,Cathy
Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #32

Because of the 5.4L (330 cu in) engine, you are limited in towing as you suspected. The GCVW is 13000 LBS and GVWR is 11500. I would be going to the scale fully loaded with full water, fuel, everything ready to camp and see what your loaded weight it. you can use this number for determining how much can be safely towed. I would also check to see what rating the hitch is on your motorhome as this can also be a limiting factor.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I checked the Ford website this morning and found the vans have the 2V 5.4L engine in them. They are rated for 255 HP and 350 TQ. This likely why the ratings are lower than the trucks. Standard Econoline vans also have a max GCVW of 13000 LBS.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #34

I would be surprised if you can only tow 1500 pounds. Anyway, here is another option.

Total weight around 2100 pounds
Tounge weight around 220.