Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Toas

We have pulled Chevy Equinox 4 down for years. Put in neutral and pull fuse and go.

Kenny B
Fleetwood Revolution

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Avoid all the guessing log in the BLUE OX web site goto resources then goto dinghy towing guide , you will find all the information you are looking for .

Old 03-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #17

I have a 2006 Honda CR-V that I tow 4 down with no problems. Also I have no problem with power, when I first got it I had a problem with spinning the front tires.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I have been looking at the Honda CRV but some reviews mention that is is under-powered if you are using it in mountainous terrain, which is where we like to spend our time when traveling!
I thought when your said you were looking for a new toad you meant one to pull with the MH. I see above where you are afraid the CRV is under powered, does that mean you mean to pull the MH with the toad?????

Sorry couldn't resist
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I really like my 2012 Ford Focus. Automatic transmission, 32mpg (really), can be towed 4down no problem. Less than $20k brand new.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I thought when your said you were looking for a new toad you meant one to pull with the MH. I see above where you are afraid the CRV is under powered, does that mean you mean to pull the MH with the toad?????

Sorry couldn't resist
Dennis, I thought that would be a good idea. I bet the CRV gets better fuel mileage that the DP! The Honda salesman told me it would pull it fine, and I know he wouldn't lie to me!

We bought a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L today! A friend at the Honda dealership here told me that the 2008 uses basically the same transmission as our 2001 Accord. We have the procedure that Honda recommended for towing the 2001 and have had no problems in about 10,000 miles of towing, so hopefully the 2008 will be fine.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Dennis, I thought that would be a good idea. I bet the CRV gets better fuel mileage that the DP! The Honda salesman told me it would pull it fine, and I know he wouldn't lie to me!

We bought a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L today! A friend at the Honda dealership here told me that the 2008 uses basically the same transmission as our 2001 Accord. We have the procedure that Honda recommended for towing the 2001 and have had no problems in about 10,000 miles of towing, so hopefully the 2008 will be fine.
Sounds like you got a nice toad. Good luck and safe travels
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
And remember, the Motorhome Magazine list is not all inclusive. Many other vehicles can be towed that are not on their list. As jackfish has said, virtually any FWD with a manual transmission can be towed 4-down and many are not listed on the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide. Volkswagens are good example as all VWs with FWD and a manual can be towed 4-down but are never on the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy list. But you, like many, may not want a manual transmission vehicle. We prefer a manual, ourselves.
Although other vehicles may be towable 4-down, these are the only vehicles whose manufacturers agree with you doing it and will not attempt to void your warranty if you have problems. Lots of other vehicles are towed, but the risk is yours if the manufacturer doesn't sanction it.

Volkswagens are a good example of how you can get in trouble by assuming that everything with a manual transmission can be towed 4-down. My understanding is that 5-speed manual transmission VW's are towable, but any with the 6-speed transmission are not. Nor are any with AWD. We sold 2 VW's before going full-time because we couldn't tow them.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #23

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Remco Towing agrees with your friend; they say the vehicle will be fine if you keep your speeds below 65 which you probably do anyway.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Tow 4 Down

We tow a 2008 Buick Enclave 4 down just let run 5 minutes , remove bat 1 fuse easy to do tows great. Hope this helps
Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Although other vehicles may be towable 4-down, these are the only vehicles whose manufacturers agree with you doing it and will not attempt to void your warranty if you have problems. Lots of other vehicles are towed, but the risk is yours if the manufacturer doesn't sanction it.

Volkswagens are a good example of how you can get in trouble by assuming that everything with a manual transmission can be towed 4-down. My understanding is that 5-speed manual transmission VW's are towable, but any with the 6-speed transmission are not. Nor are any with AWD. We sold 2 VW's before going full-time because we couldn't tow them.
Thanks for correcting my bad info. That's interesting about the VWs and six-speeds. We were really interested in either a Jetta Sportswagen or a Golf as our next toad so with your setting us straight, I guess we will have to go in another direction.

Yes, I agree with the Motorhome Magazine list as those listed are ones whose manufacturers give explicit permission to tow. I've stated that in other posts I've made but failed to do so in this thread.

Since I've been posting such bad information lately, it's best I better ease off of posting and just listening to others for awhile. Thanks.

-harry
Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Remco Towing agrees with your friend; they say the vehicle will be fine if you keep your speeds below 65 which you probably do anyway.
That's good to know! Yep, we never drive faster than 60, even on interstates!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #27

You have a decision to make, sir.
There was no decision for me. It was always gonna be a Wrangler. And I get it dirty on purpose!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2815244411.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	35405

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Motorhome magazine and FMCA list only show those that are approved by their manufacturer for towing four down with no modifications other than the brackets, wiring and brake system.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote